Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS max sample rate supported by Windows 11?

Question on max sample rate supported on Windows 11 for the ADI-2 DAC FS.

Any time I set the sample rate higher than 384kHz in the MADIface settings, even though the DAC status reflects the higher sample rate, Windows no longer sees the ADI-2 DAC FS as an output device.  It is still listed in device manager, but in control panel > hardware > sound > playback "Analog (1+2) RME ADI-2 DAC" disappears.  As soon as I set it back to 384kHz, it reappears and anything that outputs audio 'sees' it again.

If I uninstall the driver for the RME ADI-2 DAC through device manager, choosing to delete the driver, and allow windows to install the driver automatically, 384kHz is the max listed sample rate in the default rate listed in the Advanced tab of the properties of the "Analog (1+2) RME ADI-2 DAC device.  I assumed that was due to the lack of native ASIO drivers in Windows. 

Is 384kHz the limit for Windows, or am I doing something wrong that is preventing me from achieving 768kHz?

My set up is a Windows 11 laptop attached via two USB-C connectors to a dell docking station, from the docking station via 2.0 cable to the ADI-2 DAC FS, then via a pair of XLR to the back of a DROP THX AAA 789 headphone amp, from the front of that a balanced cable connects to my cans.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS max sample rate supported by Windows 11?

WDM driver does not support sample rates above 384 kHz. This is a limitation of the Windows OS itself. But why does this bother you?

Thank you - I've tried searching for it, even crawling around the Windows Hardware Developer site and couldn't find anything.  Do you have a link or somewhere I might go for further reading?

And as for why I'm interested, because it's there wink.

Thanks again!

4 (edited by KaiS 2024-04-27 09:09:09)

192 kHz is the optimum sample rate for all ADI-2 devices.
Above, several limitations chime in, read the chapter “DSP Limitations” in the manual.

96 kHz, BTW, is all that’s needed for transparent audio IMO.
It shifts the critical AD- and DA-filters into the inaudible frequency range.

Of course, native sample rate of the files played is the best, bit perfect one.
Only that Windows has some hurdles that can make automatic sample rate switching impossible.
Largely depends on the audio player soft.

5 (edited by ramses 2024-04-27 09:02:57)

+1

Therefore, the pro audio devices like M-32 Pro support up to double speed (max 96 kHz) on the MADI bus when using all 32 channels and this is fully sufficient for the mentioned reason.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13