1 (edited by sjzstudio 2024-05-01 17:59:41)

Topic: Burst in sound UFX+ (AvLinux MXe23.2)

My new machine with an AMD Ryzen 7900X and TUF GAMING B650-PLUS configuration has nasty symptoms. The sound card is RME UFX+. It appears with Mixbus 10 Pro DAW and Ardour and Reaper, fairly reasonable buffer size of 512 and below. What could be wrong here.
DSP is not high.

The machine runs cool. I am confused. Or is this configuration too new for Linux? So do I have to wait for the drivers etc. to be updated?

Bios has power savings off, as well as multi threading off. No overclocking enabled.

Below is a link where you can hear what is happening.
https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code … 9lfybHauX7

2 (edited by sjzstudio 2024-05-04 16:54:09)

Re: Burst in sound UFX+ (AvLinux MXe23.2)

I tested it with a Behringer Uphoria UMC202HD sound card and with that 64 sample buffer I get completely stable operation. UFX+ does not work properly with a buffer of less than 512 samples. Is its Class compliant that bad? Or is the device broken?

EDIT:
In addition to tests, 802 devices. The behavior is similar to UFX+. However, I got to a buffer of 256 samples with it. But it's not stable either. It's amazing that Behriger beats RME equipment in this matter. That Behriger is a cheap device under 100€.

Come on, you know you can't compare the USB bus load of a 2 channel interface with a 94 channel one. And you are comparing USB 2 and USB 3, right? Which again will behave totally different and unforseeable.  But even if you set the UFX+ to USB 2 mode, that is a 2 to 30 channel difference.

Bottom line - the computer is the problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by sjzstudio 2024-05-05 12:22:45)

MC wrote:

Come on, you know you can't compare the USB bus load of a 2 channel interface with a 94 channel one. And you are comparing USB 2 and USB 3, right? Which again will behave totally different and unforseeable.  But even if you set the UFX+ to USB 2 mode, that is a 2 to 30 channel difference.

Bottom line - the computer is the problem.

So what do you propose as a solution. If I install Windows on this machine? Or is this AMD configuration unsuitable for audio use?
The problem also appears on another machine, based on Intel i9.

and on this intel i9 machine, you used the UFX+ in CC-mode ?
Isn't CC-mode made for Apple iPad ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

and on this intel i9 machine, you used the UFX+ in CC-mode ?
Isn't CC-mode made for Apple iPad ?

As said in another thread:

RME Support wrote:

Mind that the UCX does work perfectly fine with Linux in CC mode - sans Totalmix, but otherwise it can be used as it is....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Maybe then they are intended to work only with Apple devices in CC mode. I don't know any better. But at least this doesn't work properly with Linux, so maybe you're right.

I'm not right, post number 3 is what you should follow.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

8 (edited by ramses 2024-05-05 15:07:52)

@waedi: CC mode is explained in every manual of devices supporting it. For the UFX+ see chapter 31ff.
In short: allows for driverless operation (iPad, Linux).
Even on Windows, CC mode is supported, but who requires this if you have an RME ASIO driver and TotalMix FX..

@sjzstudio: Sorry to hear about such nasty problems.

I think you know this already, but just to mention it. Only the UFX III supports USB3 CC mode.
The UFX+ only supports CC mode with USB2 ("30ch interface without MADI").

But this doesn't seem to work, for unknown reasons. I would do the following.

1. get a separate USB3 card to isolate the UFX+ from the rest of the USB infrastructure of your PC.
This is always a good basis strategy. Best a card which is known to work very well under Windows,
like the Sonnet USB3 PCIe card with FL1100 chipset.
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/alle … 4port.html
It's a PCIe 2.0 x1 card so it has only very "low" bandwidth requirements in terms of PCIe version and number of PCIe lanes.
Best is using a PCIe socket on your mainboard, where the PCIe lanes are not shared with other PCIe slots.

Maybe this chipset is also beneficial for operation in CC mode and USB2.
Each USB3 chipset has backward compatibility to USB2 and each USB3 plug has dedicared signals/pins for USB2 fully separate from USB3.

[ If this doesn't solve the issue then you need to invest more work. The only solution is to perform a parallel installation under Windows, best on a separate/dedicated SSD for that. ]

Then you have the following possibilities:

2. You can install the ASIO driver and use the driver setting window to check for USB transport / CRC errors

3. You have the usual tools like LatencyMon to validate, whether stable audio operation is possible with the system.
I know, under Windows you have other driver compared to Linux. But sometimes audio issues can also be caused by bad BIOS or main board design. Therefore I think it is interesting to check whether its possible to get it to work under Windows.

If it works well with the Sonnet card under Windows, then try exactly the same setup using Linux, same USB port, same cable, only difference here: CC-mode and USB2.

If everything fails and it works only reliable under Windows, well then you have now a parallel Windows installation in addition to Linux.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

9 (edited by sjzstudio 2024-05-05 17:12:25)

@ramses
Thanks for the good answer. I know that UFX+ is not USB3 class compliant. I bought it new in 2021 because UFXIII didn't exist yet, so I'm kind of stuck with it now. I was using Windows at the time.

I have a Sonnet usc3 PCIe card like that. It doesn't help the situation.

I can install Windows 10 on this and also alongside Linux. Of course, it will take some time, because Windows needs to be optimized, etc

It appeared on the MXLinux forum that this might be caused by "usbcore.autosuspend" and it must be disabled. I tried turning it off temporarily and at least that time the problem went away. Now it has to be made to stay off on every startup...

I am grateful to all the respondents. I'll figure this out some more and if it doesn't help >>> I'll install windows and let's explore it in more detail.