Topic: Difference between Snaps, Layouts, Groups and Workspaces

What's the difference between Snaps, Layouts, Groups and Workstations?

What would be a scenario where one is used over the other?

Thanks

M1 Mac Mini (2020)
Fireface UCX 2

Re: Difference between Snaps, Layouts, Groups and Workspaces

Is it described in the manual, have you ever looked at it?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have. And I THINK I get the differences.  Which is the best to use for a failsafe? In that, No matter how much I tinker and/or adjust settings in the mixer I can pull it up (workspace, snapshot, etc.) and it'll be good to go. As in, if I pull this up I KNOW for certain I'm going to be able to have audio routed the way I need it to.

M1 Mac Mini (2020)
Fireface UCX 2

It's Workspaces, and it's the most safe way to work as it saves all settings in one file.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by ramses 2024-05-24 11:36:15)

Hi Matthias,
has anything changed in the manuals? I was firmly convinced that I once read a chapter that listed what exactly is stored in snapshots and what is stored in workspaces.

But I can no longer find it. Not even in the TotalMix FX online help. In addition to the UFX III manual, I also looked at the UFX manual (my 1st RME recording interface). I searched for the keyword "workspace", found about the same chapters like in the UFX III manual, but no chapter which explains the differences.

Did I overlook something, do I have something wrong in my memory, or did the chapter accidentally get lost during a major revision?

If I may make a suggestion. I think it would be very useful to add a chapter about the differences and short description how to save the whole setup.

What I always use in combination (IMHO, results in the best handling):

1. always make a backup using TM FX: File→Save Workspace As. Whenever something changes in the routing or the window position.

2. use Workspace Quick Select because this way it is easy to restore the last saved workspace.
There are 32 of such Workspace Quick select slots. The first 8 slots can be recovered easily by using the key combinations ALT-1 … ALT-8. This gives the possibility to group and access up to 8×8=64 snapshots rapidly, just in case 8 are not sufficient for all of your use cases.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

A comparison table which shows what is stored and what is not for Snapshot and Workspace ... would be helpful and quick to understand and compare.

I loaded a workspace that I saved with the knowlege that EVERYTHING would be 'frozen' as far as settings (including snapshots) but the snapshots were different after loading.

M1 Mac Mini (2020)
Fireface UCX 2

Really sure? Saving the workspace includes the snapshots.

ramses wrote:

Really sure? Saving the workspace includes the snapshots.

Absolutely.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

moose wrote:

I loaded a workspace that I saved with the knowlege that EVERYTHING would be 'frozen' as far as settings (including snapshots) but the snapshots were different after loading.

Did you change something in the driver settings ? Sample rate or turning an Adat into SPDIF ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue