Topic: Source for XLR to RCA cables (pair)

Searching for a good source for XLR to RCA cables -    6 meters (20 ft).   A pair of them that have the correct XLR  lead configuration for the ADI-FS- 2.   I plan to use them with a subwoofer.   A reasonable pair (cost) that will not cause the wife to question my sanity.

Sincerely,

Robert

Still loving my RME-ADI FS 2.

2 (edited by waedi 2024-05-17 23:23:31)

Re: Source for XLR to RCA cables (pair)

Hi Robert
I am a happy customer of Thomann, never was missatisfied.
https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cfu_3_fc_snow.htm
6 m is not the best option, may be a second pair of regular XLR cables is need.
Otherwise use regular XLR-cables plus an adapter.

https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/_44/445060/15944780_800.jpg

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2024-05-18 07:46:17)

Hi Marshall, like some predecessors before you, you are just inventing new device names (RME-ADI FS 2) so that one wonders what kind of device you actually have (ADI-2 FS, ADI-2 DAC FS, ADI-2 Pro [[FS] R BE] ;-)

I would also be interested in your setup and why you intend to connect a device with unbalanced connections at all.

If you want to work with a subwoofer, then it would be best to use one that has a built-in active crossover and where you can connect the two satellites directly to the sub.

Ideal setup:
PC---USB---ADI-2 DAC/Pro FS---AN1/2---XLR--[balanced]---XLR---SUB--XLR--[balanced]---XLR/TRS---active monitor (L)
                                                                                                        \---XLR--[balanced]---XLR/TRS---active monitor (R)

Even if your active monitors don't support balanced connections, then I would try to keep the connections with an unbalanced cable as short as possible between Sub and those active monitors with cinch connectors.

PC---USB---ADI-2 DAC/Pro FS---AN1/2---XLR--[balanced]---XLR---SUB--XLR--[unbalanced]---cinch--active monitor (L)
                                                                                                        \---XLR--[unbalanced]---cinch--active monitor (R)

A little ASCII drawing (like I provided above) and a component list is not much work, but clarifies a lot.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you Ramses.  What I have is a DAC.  It is the ADI - 2 FS.  It is an amazing machine that only gets better the more you know how to use its features and functions. 

Here is my "system."

Tidal streaming --> NAD CS1 (streaming end point) -->  RME DAC ADI-2 FS -->  SET 45 (2 wpc) triode amp -->  Klipsch Heresy IV speakers (nominal sensitivity rating of 96db)

Everything works marvelously now, with the exception of low end base response  I would like to add a subwoofer into the system to improve the low end.  My plan was to use the XLR out ports on the DAC, since they are free (the RCA out ports are already in use to the amp).  The subwoofer  I am eying is also Klipsch product, (on the lower end) and only has RCA inputs. It is an active subwoofer with minimal features (phase and crossover frequency).

Thank you Ramses, and all of the knowledgeable people on this forum.  I have learned a lot, but have a lot more to go.

5 (edited by ramses 2024-05-18 09:43:55)

Ok, so the product is "ADI-2 DAC FS".
You said you want to connect a subwoofer and your amp directly to the ADI-2 DAC FS.

So your setup will be this:

NAD CS1
Tidal Endpoint---SPDIF---ADI-2 DAC FS---cinch-----[unbalanced]----cinch---SET45 TubeAmp---Klipsch Heresy IV
                                                           \---XLR-------[unbalanced]---------------------------cinch---Subwoofer

I discovered on the Klipsch webpage that none of their subwoofers support connection of satellites also not balanced connections. This is not good.

In the above design you have several disadvantages. The biggest one is, that you will get a frequency overlap.

Without the ability to route the satellite speakers through the subwoofer, both the subwoofer and the satellites have to cover their respective frequency ranges independently. This can lead to overlap in the frequency range, often resulting in a "boomy" or imprecise sound. The overlap in low frequencies can muddy the bass and make the overall sound less clear.

Properly separating frequencies is crucial for balanced sound. If the subwoofer lacks an internal crossover for the satellites, the crossover frequency must be manually set, which is often difficult and imprecise. A well-integrated subwoofer with a built-in crossover ensures clean separation of frequency ranges and better sound quality.

Satellite speakers, when not supported by a crossover in the subwoofer, may struggle to accurately reproduce the full midrange and treble. This can be particularly problematic if the satellites are designed to work with a subwoofer and are incapable of handling lower frequencies on their own. This is maybe not the case for your Klipsch speakers, you say they only lack a little bass, but I wanted to mention it for completeness regarding this thematic.

Balancing the volume between the subwoofer and the satellites can be more challenging. Typically, the subwoofer's volume must be adjusted separately, requiring additional tweaking to achieve a harmonious sound. A subwoofer with satellite connections usually allows for synchronized and automatically better-matched volume control.

Furthermore, the unbalanced wiring is suboptimal. I would use a "more professional" subwoofer with balanced inputs and the possibility to connect the Satellites to it.

Overall, a subwoofer without satellite connection options complicates integration into a HiFi system and can negatively impact sound quality, especially if the synchronization between speakers is not optimal.

I think you have less of a cable / adapter problem, the whole design that you are after doesn't look good to me.

Get a better sub which allows connection of satellites. Then use balanced cables up to the sub.
The shorter cables from sub to the amp can be unbalanced using an adapter.

There are a lot of subwoofers available with different features up to 7.1 and DSP / alignment kit.

To put only two examples:
https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_750_dsp.htm
https://www.thomann.de/de/genelec_7350_apm.htm

My personal opinion is, that subwoofer designs are always more complex. I prefer to get active monitors / speakers that fit my demand and not having to handle the additional complexity of subwoofer designs.

An alternative could also be to sell your speakers and get bigger ones.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you Ramses!   You have once again saved me from myself.  The sub is going back and if I buy another, it will allow for connection of balanced cables as well as allow for integrating satellite speakers.   That is now my standard for using a subwoofer.  However, rather than do any of that, I plan to pay more attention to the EQ capabilities of the RME and see if I can get the sound I am looking for that way.  I am sure the RME can do it. It is the user that needs improvement.

Thank you again.  Case closed.  :-)   Thank you!