1 (edited by lsanbourne 2024-06-04 03:19:07)

Topic: Which boxes for mobile recording, home editing, home HiFi?

Hello,

I love my Babyface Pro and am continuing switching to RME for my audio needs.

1. Mobile recording/editing of classical music at highest quality possible, using USB power banks (2-4ch) or mains power (6-8ch). Recording to DAW or USB. I assume Fireface UCX II + 12Mic. I travel with a single carryon for 4 weeks of clothes and recording equipment (minus stands) with 18.5"x13" internal capacity. (I don't need all the extra I/O of UCX II, but I do need DURec sometimes.)
2. Home editing/mixing of classical music, feeding Neumann KH 120 powered monitors. Which is better, Fireface UCX II or existing Babyface?
3. Streamer -> DAC -> home HiFi. I assume ADI-2 DAC FS?

What RME boxes would you recommend for these needs?

Thanks!
Larry

2 (edited by ramses 2024-06-04 20:44:13)

Re: Which boxes for mobile recording, home editing, home HiFi?

12Mic has 12 Mic inputs, but UCX II has only 1x ADAT I/O ports and this supports only
- 8 ch @single speed (44.1/48 kHz)
- 4 ch @double speed (88.2/96 kHz)
- 2 ch @quad speed (up to 192 kHz)

No matter which sample rate you would use, 1 ADAT port is not enough for the 12 channels of 12Mic!

If I didn't overlook something, then maybe this:

RayDAT (PCIe) might be an option, then you can
- use 3 ADAT I/O inputs for connecting the 12Mic up to double speed
- integrate a reference converter for monitoring purposes
  for studio use with typical studio levels: ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (or ADI-2/4 Pro SE) via AES
  for HiFi use with more HiFi levels: ADI-2 DAC FS via ADAT or optical SPDIF (ADAT4)
- connect streamer via
   - digital port of RayDAT (optical SPDIF or coax SPDIF)

Alternatively .. with 12Mic ... go MADI -> UFX III ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I guess OP does not plug RayDat to notebook (I expect he uses notebook, not PC...). But Digiface USB would do roughly similar job.

Just..... It does not have WC so, 12Mic would have to be the Master clock..... May be OK, may be inconvenience. Or, if OP will use also UCX II, WC could go from UCX to 12Mic and DF USB would be synchonized by ADAT from 12Mic

My recording need (#1) is to record 8 channels to a box with no DAW. Is there no simpler way to set this up (fewer boxes)?

5 (edited by waedi 2024-06-05 02:17:58)

UFX lll or UFX ll are one box units

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks for pointing this out. My most common need is 2 mic inputs, but my second most common need is 6 or 8 mic inputs total, and I'd like to be able to record at 96kHz (also via DURec on battery power).

- What is the simplest way to record 8 mic inputs at 96 kHz with RME?
- Is there a configuration of boxes that will let my 2-mic-input use case be the lightest weight?

UCX ll is the one with lightest weight ,for your 2 mics use case.
UFX ll plus 12Mic via Adat connection
UFX lll plus 12Mic via Madi connection.

Downside, the UFXs have no DC power connection. Mobile kit with power banks for 8 mics is not possible.
But may be the mobility on the 12Mic side with a long Madi cable is enough ?
The UFX somewhere with power connection and the rest is mobile in certain range...

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Please clarify 1st whether you have a PC or a notebook.

The question behind that is ...

Do you need something USB based, which usually also supports stand-alone capabilities, by this I mean
- operable at the display (UCX II, UFX II, UFX III)
- supporting DURec (Direct USB Recording, without DAW), also useable as backup recording in addition to DAW recording

Or can it be something PCIe based like RayDAT?

Best and most versatile setup would be, if money is no hindering point
- UFX III
- 12Mic connected via MADI, allows for 64 channel @single and 32 ch @double speed
- ADI-2 Pro FS R BE via AES port of UFX III

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Maybe think about a specialized portable 8 mic input recorder.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

That would be, probably the best thing to do.... Unless, one day more channels might be needed....

Also, Octamic (or Octamic-D) could be used together with UCX II. Unlike Octamic II Octamic is able to run on battery. Octamic-D has on top of it also A/D, but only 4 channels would be transferable via ADAT to UCX II at 96 kHz as UCX has only one ADAT socket.

But if OP prefers portability something like SoundDevices, Tascam, Fostex, Zoom, .... would be more convenient. They are built for that purpose....
https://avisoft.com/recorder-tests/

11 (edited by lsanbourne 2024-06-05 19:15:40)

Thank you all. When recording to a DAW, it runs on a Macbook M1 Max.

I have Sound Devices MixPre-10ii (and MixPre-6ii for 2-4ch) but am unhappy with the preamp and headphone amp. I love Babyface Pro's headphone amp and figured all-RME would be an improvement, but it is clear (from needing DC-out batteries, 100-file USB limit, etc.) that RME's offerings aren't really meant for my use case.

That said, if the mic preamp quality should at least be a step up, I'd still like to try to envision a setup that would work for me. 8 mic inputs is the most I need; 6 is actually most common. I guess ideally I'd find a half-rack RME interface with MADI in, 2 mic preamps, 2 headphone amps, and DURec, to pair with 12Mic for larger applications. Since that doesn't exist, I could use:

1. UFX III: twice the size and weighs 3.3x more than UCX II
2. MADIface XT: can't record to USB. Does anyone make a tiny dedicated USB-host recording device I could attach?
3. UCX II: with a bunch of patch cables from 12Mic??

For 6-channel use cases (my most common!) I guess UFX III + UCX II is ideal? And for 8ch (my rarest use case), is there some box with 2 mic inputs that could double as a very good DAC for my hifi?

Other options I'm missing?

12 (edited by ramses 2024-06-05 19:12:50)

So 12Mic is now out of scope?

> 3. UCX II: with a bunch of patch cables??

What do you mean?

Madiface XT doesn't have the analog section of UFX III and newer design of mic inputs up to 75 dB gain.
The Mic Inputs are also not so flexible, can't be switched to Hi-Z in case you might need it.

MADIface XT only in cases where you need multiple MADI buses and if you can't use HDSPe MADI FX.

There will be an update of MADIface XT I read in the forum, but the question is, whether it will have a similar analog section compared to UFX III and UFX II.

If you intended to get a 12Mic then you have already a 19" device.
Simply start with UFX III and add 12Mic if needed.
I would try to get 12Mic here, because they have mic inputs with about the same technical specs.

The UFX III's mic inputs can all be switched to Instr mode and have an excellent quality.
Same for the first 4 mic inputs of the 12 Mic, also useable as Mic input.

UFX III and 12Mic give you 2+1 = 3 headphone outputs.

Thanks for your help.

I already own 12Mic + Babyface Pro but am happy to sell anything for the most weight- and space-optimized setup. In option 3 I meant "maybe I could connect 12Mic to UCX II with patch cables."

My most common use cases, in order, are:

1. 2 mic inputs
2. 6 mic inputs
3. 8 mic inputs (quite rare)

If I bought UCX II and UFX III, I could use them together for #1-2. For #3, is there some box with 2 mic inputs that could double as a very good DAC for my hifi? So I'd bring 3 little boxes to the very rare 8ch gigs, 2 boxes for the 6-mic-input gigs, and 1 half-rack box to the 2-channel gigs?

Lastly, I've heard that Babyface Pro's mic preamps are not better than UCX II or UFX III. Is that true?

14 (edited by ramses 2024-06-05 19:44:18)

> maybe I could connect 12Mic to UCX II with patch cables

I do not understand what you mean by that.
Which patch cables? What do you want to achieve?

There is nothing to patch / switch.
As the problem stays the same .. the UCX II has only 1 ADAT input!

With routing inside of the 12Mic you can decide, which of the 12 Mic inputs you want to route through ADAT.
ADAT supports 8ch @single speed and only 4ch @double speed.
But thats a fraction of the number of mic ports that the 12mic has.
Kind of waste. Therefore, better get UFX III.

Then a rack of 3 RU size (to leave some space for some air flow with passive cooling) and with a width of 23cm.
Still quite compact and everything in one rack very portable.
Can even record without PC ... due to DURec, can be used as tape deck.
But with a Laptop it makes more fun and using RME Connector you can remote control 12mic nicely using MIDI over MADI.
You need no extra network for that. Everything over one MADI cable (audio data and MIDI remote control commands).
Really the best / optimum solution.

15 (edited by lsanbourne 2024-06-05 20:27:07)

>> 12Mic to UCX II
> There is nothing to patch / switch.

I see that now, thank you.

The space goal is to fit any of these setups in a carryon suitcase with 18.5cm interior length. The goal of the 2-mic setup is to fit it into a backpack with lots of room to spare.

For 6 mic inputs, could I buy QuadMic and send its outputs to UCX II one at a time? This would give me 6 mic inputs and DURec in only 1U, I think? And add Babyface Pro for the rare 8-mic case?

I see what you're saying, though: With UFX III + 12Mic, I'd just connect one MADI cable. It's just that on my 2-mic-input gigs, I typically am on location with just a backpack, so I really wanted UCX II to be part of the 8-channel equation…

Thank you again for your continued guidance.

16 (edited by ramses 2024-06-05 20:29:36)

Yes MADI is very flexible, can be up to 2km between each of the devices in a chain.
So also nice to have the Laptop and UFX III close to each other and then one cable to the stage or whatever.

And yes. You can also connect a Mic Preamp analog like UCX II and then QuadMic II.
Then you have 4 mic pres independend of sample rate, as sample rate does not reduce amount of analog ports.
On the other hand with MADI you have enough channels for double speed.
https://rme-audio.de/de_quadmic-ii.html

Maybe also compare specs of 12Mic and QuadMic II. Advantage of 12Mic, you can store and recall each settings digitally and you have 75 dB gain range and very similar mic pres between 12Mic and UFX III.

17 (edited by lsanbourne 2024-06-06 04:42:23)

UFX III ± 12Mic is clearly best, but I really don't want to travel with 2U of such heavy equipment just to get 6 inputs instead of 4 - or, worse, a 1U 3kg box just to get 2 inputs. And I don't really want to fiddle with all the analog connections if I got QuadMic.

I guess I am stuck buying UCX II, UFX III, 12Mic, and ADI-2 Pro FS, just to be able to record 2, 6, or 8 mics in a reasonably-sized package. Almost seems simpler to buy DAD AX32 for the 6-8ch use case.

Has anyone switched from Sound Devices recorders to RME? Does RME at least sound better?

What about the Babyface with some non rme 8 mic pre with adat? One that can run of a battery pack. And imho the Babyface pro (fs) is plenty good as a reference and hifi DA. At least for me it is.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

…non rme 8 mic pre with adat? One that can run of a battery pack.

Tascam Dyna works with 12V DC  - probably not 'RME grade' preamps but not bad at all.

vinark wrote:

And imho the Babyface pro (fs) is plenty good as a reference and hifi DA. At least for me it is.

Also my opinion smile

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

But OP wants/needs 96 kHz.... It gives only 4 channels via ADDAT. And recording without computer. And he already has/uses  Sound Devices MixPre-10ii and MixPre-6ii and is not satisfied with its preamps.....

21 (edited by oli77sch 2024-06-07 13:48:50)

Kubrak wrote:

But OP wants/needs 96 kHz....

Where did he wrote that?

Kubrak wrote:

And he already has/uses  Sound Devices MixPre-10ii and MixPre-6ii and is not satisfied with its preamps.....

Let’s be honest: six to eight channels with top preamps (MixPre are really good imo), battery power, no involved computer … not easy to find such equipment.

96 kHz ... Post #6.

And concerning Sound Devices.... I just wrote, what OP wrote in post #11. OP already has/uses MixPre and wants something even better...

Indeed - 96kHz, interested in what's better than my current MixPre 6ii and 10ii. Sonosax and Merging are other brands that come to mind, and an engineer friend recommended Zoom F8n Pro. But I have never been able to find any back-to-back recording - only people saying "I own x and like it." Do you know of any comparisons?

I do not have experience, but I doubt that Zoom F8n Pro would be better than something from Sound Devices. But I may be wrong.

Some comparison gives:
https://avisoft.com/recorder-tests/

25 (edited by oli77sch 2024-06-07 21:18:28)

Ah right, sorry, I overlooked post #6.
Some users prefer Zoom F series over SD MixPre, for some it’s the other way round.

Personally I like the idea ramses came up with: UCX II + Quadmic (+ Babyface pro for two further mic inputs). But yes, these are two or three separate units which need to be powered …

Yes, UCX II + Quadmic + Babyface seems to be the best selection from RME products to cover OP's needs.

96kHz 
2ch, 6ch and ocasionally 8ch
battery powered
no computer needeed
as small/light as possible

27 (edited by lsanbourne 2024-06-10 03:50:57)

Thanks so much. I really wish I could hear comparison recordings to judge. Moving from Sound Devices to RME would be heavier, bigger, and harder to power by battery - so I really would want it to sound better. But I can hardly even find demo recordings made with Fireface UFX or 12Mic, let alone comparisons of RME vs Sound Devices vs Zoom. If there's no audio quality difference, then I guess I should stay with Sound Devices for my most portable (2ch) use case and RME for the larger ones.

In terms of RME hardware, I have been thinking about this a lot. I am usually recording chamber music: voice/piano, voice/organ/violin, voice/gamba/harpsichord/violin. I can probably get by with 6 channels for all these. For voice/piano I sometimes want to be able to have 2 channels just to record room reverb, but in that case, I wouldn't mind spending the time attaching 2 patch cables.

I'd go with MADIface Pro + 12Mic, if only MADIface Pro had direct-to-USB recording. MADIface Pro would be perfect for the more formal recording sessions and give me all the channels I could ever want. Otherwise, UCX II + 12Mic would at least be fewer boxes to juggle, and would still let me do direct-to-USB with the simple 2-channel use case.

By the way, is there any difference in the A/D conversion between MADIface and UCX II (and whatever 12Mic does internally before the analog outs)?

Let me know if I'm missing anything....thank you again.

MADIface Pro was discontinued 2021.
DURec only exists for UCX II, UFX II, UFX III.

UCX II has only 1x ADAT I/O, which supports only 4 of the 12 Mic inputs @double speed.
Makes less sense to spend around €2599 for a 12Mic if you can only use a third of its Mic inputs.

If you want
- DURec
- 12Mic
- recording @double speed

then the combination of UFX III and 12Mic is the only combination that really makes sense.

Alternatively, say good-bye to DURec, then you have other options,
but no stand-alone capabilities like with UCX II, UFX II/III which might be useful:
- Digiface USB (4x ADAT I/O, USB2 based), no stand-alone capabilities
- RayDAT (4x ADAT I/O and other useful options, PCIe based), no stand-alone capabilities
- HDSPe MADI FX plus ADI-2 Pro FS R BE for monitoring

29 (edited by lsanbourne 2024-06-10 07:46:35)

ramses wrote:

If you want
- DURec
- 12Mic
- recording @double speed

then the combination of UFX III and 12Mic is the only combination that really makes sense.

Actually, I'm realizing that what I want is DURec, 8 channels, recording @ 96kHz -- and a 2-channel 96kHz DURec that's smaller. But I think you've shown that this is not possible from RME.

ramses wrote:

Alternatively, say good-bye to DURec, then you have other options,
but no stand-alone capabilities like with UCX II, UFX II/III which might be useful:
- Digiface USB (4x ADAT I/O, USB2 based), no stand-alone capabilities
- RayDAT (4x ADAT I/O and other useful options, PCIe based), no stand-alone capabilities
- HDSPe MADI FX plus ADI-2 Pro FS R BE for monitoring

I'm on a Macbook so only Digiface USB is an option.

Connecting things like QuadMic via analog patch cables seems doable but increases weight and setup time.

It's really too bad RME doesn't have an audio interface with 8 mic inputs... Perhaps Merging or another high-end provider has something?

Thanks for your continued help.

lsanbourne wrote:

Thanks so much. I really wish I could hear comparison recordings to judge. Moving from Sound Devices to RME would be heavier, bigger, and harder to power by battery - so I really would want it to sound better. But I can hardly even find demo recordings made with Fireface UFX or 12Mic, let alone comparisons of RME vs Sound Devices vs Zoom. If there's no audio quality difference, then I guess I should stay with Sound Devices for my most portable (2ch) use case and RME for the larger ones.

Sound Devices is Pro device, hard to say if RME would give you hearable improvement. It may be also dependent on mics you use... And RME solution is bulkier and probably harder to controll (if used without computer).

And also DuRec is IMHO meant mainly as backup solution, not main means of recording. I do not know about Sound Devices, but even semipro Zoom F4 allows to record to two memory cards in paralell, if one fails, there is a backup on the other....

Maybe investing in mics would bring more "value" for money?

lsanbourne wrote:

I have Sound Devices MixPre-10ii (and MixPre-6ii for 2-4ch) but am unhappy with the preamp and headphone amp

What exactly don’t you like?

MADIface XT II is now a MADI option. I would lose DURec and just use MixPre when I need standalone. The THD+N isn't as good as UCX/UFX but with this option I'd have 12 channels, which is by far enough. Is it even for sale in the US yet?

How do I choose between MADIface vs Digiface? MADI seems like fewer cables?

On all these options I would miss Babyface's dual headphone jack (low/high impedance), which is very helpful for checking mixes on Apple earbuds.

I still wish there were some RME option for 8 inputs of 96kHz into USB. QuadMic + UCX II still intrigues me, but I'm worried about loss of quality with analog patch cables.

Lastly, now that I have been using 12Mic (just 4 channels into Babyface), I do find the config UI is a bit annoying to use. Wish one could do more from Totalmix from the host rather than using tiny knobs. I know this is the RME forum, but is there a solution from another manufacturer with similarly good quality but 8 channels in one USB box?

@oli77sch I find the MixPre preamps sound slightly wooly. Babyface's and especially 12Mic's sound slightly clearer.

> MADIface XT II is now a MADI option.

I don't get your point, MADIface XT had always MADI, in fact three MADI buses.
Can you please be more verbose, so that it is possible to understand what you say?
Also, above in another posting you only say "channels", but do not say whether you mean analog or mic channels.
By this it is a little bit tricky to follow your thread over a longer period of time.
Thanks.

> MADIface XT II is now a MADI option. I would lose DURec and just use MixPre when I need standalone.
> The THD+N isn't as good as UCX/UFX but with this option I'd have 12 channels,
> which is by far enough. Is it even for sale in the US yet?

Where does the MADIface XT II have 12 channels and again, which channels do you mean?
The MADIface XT II has a lot of channels ... but aren't you out to get Mic channels?
Are we back at the topic that I told you already, that a combination of MADI capable recording interface, with DURec and a preamp with MADI support could make sense?

> I still wish there were some RME option for 8 inputs of 96kHz into USB.

Only while you are at it: if a recording interface has 8 analog channels (no matter which type), then it has those at any sample-rate.

Look at the used market, Octamic XTC could be of interest to you. Can be used in Class Compliant mode, 8 channels for Windows, iPAD and should also work for a Mac (but for the latter I am not 100% sure).

> Lastly, now that I have been using 12Mic (just 4 channels into Babyface), I do find the config UI is a bit annoying to use.

Auxdevice support is not there, but you can use RME connector. Do you know this application? Works either over LAN or over MIDI over MADI if you would have a MADI capable recording interface.

I meant that MADIface XT II is a newly released option that would help satisfy my needs.

I already own 12Mic, though I'm happy to sell it if there's a more compact option. I need up to 8 mic inputs in the lightest-weight, simplest-setup package possible.

Thanks for the pointer to Octamic XTC. Do you think the sound would be worse? It's too bad RME hasn't updated this.

Thanks also for the pointer to RME Connector.