1 (edited by moose 2024-06-06 21:53:45)

Topic: Autoset for this scenario

I do voiceover which includes animation and video game characters.
I need to set autoset in TMFX on my microphone so that I don't have clipped audio.
If my regular level (character talking) is around -8 dB, what would be a good place to start in setting Autoset to prevent any character screaming from clipping?

UPDATE: I previously posted 'Autolevel.' But what I meant is the 'Autoset' feature. Thanks

M1 Mac Mini (2020)
Fireface UCX 2

Re: Autoset for this scenario

Are you aware that AutoSet will not turn back the gain? So scream to reduce the gain, then turn off AutoSet and use compressor in software to get a steady volume when talking and screaming.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey Matthias,
Yeah, I'm discovering that the more I've tinkered with this feature.

M1 Mac Mini (2020)
Fireface UCX 2

What would be the best way (in Totalmix) to achieve the goal of not clipping when getting real loud with the VO? I'd like to set my level for normal dialogue but then have something that will kick in when I get loud and then go back to the level it was at before loud part.
How would I achieve this with Totalmix?
Thanks

M1 Mac Mini (2020)
Fireface UCX 2

Enable EQ+D for Record in the Fireface Settings
use compressor in the input channel in Totalmix

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

And try the various Presets that come with it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

waedi wrote:

Enable EQ+D for Record in the Fireface Settings
use compressor in the input channel in Totalmix

Will do.

'Autolevel' won't accomplish this?

M1 Mac Mini (2020)
Fireface UCX 2

No, because Autolevel has no release, it reduces the gain but then it stays there until it reduces even more.
The dynamic compressor is reducing the volumen in a certain amount ( ratio) and release the reduction after a time (release time)
Good for screaming and whispering.
The autolevel saves from clipping and the compressor helps with the volumen.
One of the compressor presets will fit.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

No, because Autolevel has no release, it reduces the gain but then it stays there until it reduces even more.

That is true for AutoSet, but not Auto Level. Auto Level can be used as well to bring the volume back to normal after a 'scream'. Short rise time and Max Gain set to the amount of loss when 'screaming' (aka the headroom that AutoSet dialed in) will do that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME