1 (edited by Mark_S 2024-06-13 22:25:38)

Topic: issue with Room EQ and UFX II in standalone mode

HI,

I am "misusing" my new Fireface UFX II as a DSP/crossover. The UFX is behind my ADI-2 Pro FS and connected via AES, the ADI-2 is acting as AD converter, input selector and digital volume control. The UFX is feeding two main speakers and two subwoofers.

I have activated EQs and Room EQs for both subwoofers (analog out 3 + 4) and EQs for mains (analog out 1 + 2). Room EQ for mains is switched off, however, I am using the delay setting here. This should not overload the DSP even @192kHz as clearly indicated by the FX meter. However, there is clearly no more DSP capacity for another stereo Room EQ @ 192kHz, so I am somewhat near the limit.

I have saved the workspace and  all settings as snapshot 1 plus the current state into the device as setup 1.

When switching off the PC and running the UFX in standalone mode, the UFX disables all Room EQs whenever automatically switching the input sample rate to 192kHz via autosync. I found no way to re-activate the Room EQ in standalone mode once this happens. Switching back to a lower input sample rate does not help. Reloading setup 1 on the device does not help either - Room EQ remains inactive.

Is this user error or might there be an issue with my new UFX II or a software bug (latest firmware)? Unfortunately the device is not usable for my usecase if this is intended functionality.

Your assistance and advice  is highly appreciated!

Best, Mark

BR Mark
ADI-2 Pro FS R BE / UFX II
Neumann KH120, KH310, KH810 / Audeze LCD-X

Re: issue with Room EQ and UFX II in standalone mode

1. Disable DURec to get more DSP resources (set DURec Partition to Off)..

2. Room EQ is fully adjustable from the front display in stand-alone mode. Push Channel, scroll to the outputs, select Room EQ Left or Room EQ Right.

We'll check the functionallity from a stored setup with sr changes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias.

Was not aware of DuRec requiring DSP resources even when not used, so your suggestion to deactivate it certainly helps.

Let me know if I should provide any additional information or data files for you to replicate the issue. Will be glad to support.

BR Mark

Your current workspace would be useful.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

you find my workspace file following the link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1q5og9s7 … u&dl=0

Let me know should the link not work - I do not know how to send you files directly.

BR Mark

Got it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Mark_S 2024-06-15 12:30:16)

Update:
- Once the "malfunction"  has happened ,(SR switched to 192kHz, RoomEQ automatically deactivated, which is obvious from the acoustic output), the RoomEQ cannot be activated via front panel. It remains off no matter what the display shows, even at lower SR. Meaning, the display shows "RoomEQ on" but it is clearly not active. Only solution is to physically switch off/on the Fireface. Then it works again as intended until... SR switches next time to 192kHz
- Deactivating DURec makes no difference in my case, and with my settings.

My current workaround is to activate SRC and prevent SR higher than 96kHz.

BR Mark

All issues confirmed - thanks for sending the Workspace!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for letting me know and - you are welcome!

BR Mark

New firmware with a fix is on its way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for the heads-up and exceptionally fast turnaround time!

BR Mark

Hi RME team, when do you plan to release this fix? Is there an ETA yet?

BR Mark

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 55#p220555

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you, the firmware fix seems to solve this issue!

However, autosync in UFX requires 1-2 seconds to sync when the input sample rate changes (AES in), and during this time the sound is stuttering/ distorted.
Input sample rate switching in my ADI-2 Pro on the other hand is instant and without any stuttering.

Is there any way to further optimize the autosync performance in UFX II or is there a technical limitation?

BR Mark

I don't hear any distortion nor stuttering. When the external sample rate changes the UFX II locks within about a second. Sound comes back immediately, sometimes is muted again for 0.1 s at the end of the sync phase (when the LED stops flashing). For us this is regarded as normal behaviour for a 30 plus 30 channel DSP FX interface.

You might experience issues already from your source, though. Changing the sample rate during running audio playback is not going to work anywhwere without more or less issues.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I did some further investigation and indeed my SPDIF source seems to be the root cause for the distortion, not the UFX II.
Sorry for "accusing" the wrong device!

BR Mark