Topic: Need recommendation for SPDIF out`

I am in the process of upgrading from an old cheesegrater mac to a mac studio setup.  The cheesegraters have two HDSPe MADI cards.  Additionally, on one of those I was also using a HDSPe RAYDAT but solely for the SPDIF rca output for monitoring.

The problem I'm running into is that I'm not sure it's worthwhile to get a 4 port PCIe expansion chassis just to accommodate the two slot territory a RAYDAT needs only for use of a single SPDIF out.

What I'm wondering is if there is some other non-PCIe RME interface that has SPDIF rca output and will work smoothly with the HDSPe MADI card (installed on a PCIe chassis)?

Re: Need recommendation for SPDIF out`

If latency is not an issue, get any inexpensive USB SPDIF device and either create an Aggregate Device (which you have to do anyhow) or switch devices when SPDIF is needed. Not sure what exactly "monitoring" refers to here.

Otherwise, the smallest RME solution would be a Digiface USB, but that's only got optical and you may need a converter to coax (no big deal).

Anything else may be overkill (external interface with SPDIF optical or format converters from MADI to AES). What about using the MADI cards' phones output as line outputs?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Or you could use secondhand Fireface UC (or UCX and so on)... It has RCA SPDIF. Beside others.

Regarding "overkill" .. Or - in nicer words - everything can also be a new chance for consolidation and new features.

Replace cards against two (newer) HDSPe MADI FX which (will or do) support Room EQ.

If three MADI channels would be enough, then you could even think about replacing the two HDSPe MADI against one HDSPe MADI FX. This gives you additionally:
- 2x AES I/O
- FX chip
- Room EQ
- the special driver for the card optimizes CPU utilization. Driver/CPU resources will be allocated in chunks of 8 I/O ports and only if at least one port of eight is in use.
- as an option the 3rd port can be changed against an optical module (separately available for purchase).

If you want you could also think of connecting e.g. an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (or ADI-2/4 Pro SE) for monitoring via AES port.
They also offer coax SPDIF in case it would still be needed for whatever purpose. The monitoring I would perform through the ADI-2 ...
USB connectivity would only be needed in case you want to use the new AD-2 Remote software to control the device or for flashing a new firmware. Otherwise pure stand-alone mode would be sufficient.

HDSPe MADI card could be sold to cross-finance. You should still get around 70-75% of street price for them.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Latency is definitely an issue.  I'm a composer for film and this has to facilitate live music production to picture.

The MADI FX might be a decent option (totally forgot about selling the cards to finance - great idea), but having never dabbled in converting an AES to SPDIF RCA it makes me a little apprehensive.  I need that SPDIF RCA because my monitor controller (RAM 2000) only takes that kind of digital input (and it's 40 feet away).

Would the thunderbolt interfaces operate in conjunction with my MADI cards with as low latency as the MADI FX?

Sorta separate question, but since it was brought up:  is there a companion app or device recommended to discover the room modes to assist with creating the custom EQ settings?

And this? https://rme-audio.de/madiface-xt-2.html  3 X madi and AES which can be used as spdif for sure.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632