1 (edited by rcstevensonaz 2024-08-11 20:53:23)

Topic: ADI-2 Remote shows "Disconnected" when using Windows Remote Desktop

I have an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R and a Digiface USB connected to a PC (laptop) running Windows 11 Pro.

When I am directly logged into the Windows 11 PC (laptop), the ADI-2 Remote application is connected and works great. However, when I connect to that same laptop using Windows Remote Desktop, the ADI-2 Remote application says that my ADI-2 Pro is "disconnected".

At the same time, TotalMix seems to be working perfectly fine for the Digiface when I am connected by Windows Remote Desktop. For example, I am able to see the visual "green bars" showing the signal coming in on ADAT 1/2.

Is my issue using the ADI-2 Remote application when connected by Windows Remote Desktop a known limitation, a bug, or a configuration issue?  Thanks!

[EDIT: this issue was due to a configuration issue in the Remote Desktop Client on the computer I was using to connect to the laptop. See my comment below for more details.]

Re: ADI-2 Remote shows "Disconnected" when using Windows Remote Desktop

ADI-2 Remote needs direct MIDI connection within USB. It seems you use the ADI-2 Remote on a computer where the ADI-2 is not connected to?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The ADI-2 Pro FS R is plugged into a USB port on a laptop (as is the Digiface USB). More precisely, it is plugged into a USB-C multiport adapter that is plugged into a Thunderbolt / USB-C port on the laptop. If I am directly working on the laptop, everything works fine.

But the goal is for the laptop to be tucked away out of site, and to be accessed remotely from my main desktop PC whenever I need to make adjustments. That is, I use the Windows' Remote Desktop Connection app on my primary desktop PC to open up a
connection to the laptop (which is the PC that the ADI-2 Pro and Digiface USB are physically connected to).

When connected remotely, I am able to use the MADIface ASIO driver to see both devices and I can run TotalMix without any issue. But the ADI-2 Remote application says it is unable to connect to the ADI-2 Pro.

Confirmed. We will try to find out why this doesn't work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by rcstevensonaz 2024-07-15 08:53:09)

It appears the answer is a Configuration Issue*. Everything works fine after I changed a default setting of Window's Remote Desktop Connector (RDC) client. Specifically, the "Play on remote computer" option must be selected.

Navigation instructions when opening the RCD client on the computer your are connecting FROM:

• Select "Show Options"

• Select the "Local Resources" tab

• Select "Settings..." (within the Remote audio section)

• Select the "Play on remote computer" radio button (within the Remote audio playback section)

Which is to say, the first half of MC's initial response is key: "ADI-2 Remote needs direct MIDI connection within USB". RDC's default setting ("Play on this computer") will direct the audio on the remote computer to playback on the local computer's audio system, which in turn seems to block the ADI-2 Remote application (running on the remote computer) from connecting to the RME USB device that is also plugged directly into the remote computer.
[Edited to fix earlier error; local = machine running RDC client; remote = machine where the RME USB device is attached]

* This still could also be a bug. I'll leave it for RME to determine whether the ADI-2 Remote application (MIDI connection) should still work even when RDC is set to the default "Play on this Computer".

In our opinion this is not a bug but the way it is designed. The ADI-2 Remote uses class compliant MIDI to communicate with the hardware, and it seems this is included in the 'audio' settings. The setting you describe (Play on remote computer) seems to be well known for RDC users.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

In our opinion this is not a bug but the way it is designed.

Thanks for confirming; I agree with that opinion.