Topic: TotalMix Fx 1.96 Beta – public preview available Windows/Mac

Summer holidays are near. Preventing you to get bored with all the sun, cocktails and beaches, here comes a heavily loaded new version of TotalMix FX – v 1.96 beta 7. It comes with updated TotalMix FX Remote v 1.42. Some comments on the below list:

- Thanks to forum users ASauer for reporting Talkback and OSC issues, and forum user maggie33 for testing OSC changes and feedback. And everyone else reporting issues and posting wishes for TM FX. The below list is full of user-driven improvements, so keep it coming!

- The collaboration with Sound ID/Sonarworks already hit the press. Version 1.96 includes support for the free alternative REW (Room EQ Wizard). Exporting the EQ files as ‘formatted text’ makes them compatible for import into TM FX Room EQ. You’ll find an entry ‘Import REW –> To left channel / To right channel’ at the bottom of the Preset dialog. Using REW is not as streamlined as SoundID, though. You need to set the EQ parameters for export manually:

Choose Configurable PEQ, 9 filters, current sample rate
Frequency range 20-20 kHz step 1 Hz
Gain range +20 -20 dB step 0.1 dB
Q/BW format half gain
Q/BW range 0.4 to 9.9 step 0.1.

If any of these are set wrong TotalMix not only issues an error message during import, but also tries to tell more detailed what is wrong.

- There is a small addition to the remote functionality: enabling the new option Follow Submix in the Remote Preferences, the remote’s submix selection will follow any change performed on the TotalMix FX host.

- The OSC table has been updated extensively, and a new template is provided to showcase the operation and commands. The table also includes detailed explanations on differences between old and new OSC support (page Comments). Download see below.

New in TotalMix FX 1.96 beta 4:

TM FX General

- Old Digiface/Multiface/RPM: loading Snapshots/Workspaces could be incomplete

- Several fixes for Talkback function: update Trim state, correct Gain settings, Fader operation

- Ext. In Gain setting (horizontal fader) did not work in UFX+, UFX II, UFX III

- Reworked Preferences window for better overview, operation, and space for even more options (see below)

- New option Load Room EQs with Snapshot

- New option Save changes regularly (within 1 minute) – saves mixer states during operation, slightly delayed

- Show active Loopback mode in respective Input channel (small LED symbol)

- PEQ: any frequency value between 20Hz and 20000Hz can now be entered for EQ (no conversion to increments as with adjustment by mouse)

- New mismatch messages with improved text and TotalMix/Device buttons instead of Yes/No

- When removing the device the last mismatch message (Mac) or all (Windows) are exit automatically

- Improved TotalReset: also displays all subwindows (Control Room, Sidebar)

- Show device names in ARC USB dialog box header and mixer settings windows, Channel Layout (only for more than one device, the latter not for Mac)

- ARC USB: new option Room EQ On/Off for Main Out

- TM FX now signals the last selected submix to the network remote (for new option Follow Submix in TM FX Remote)

- Added support for HDSPe AoX card, extending TM FX to 256 channels

OSC

- OSC crash fixed (no descriptor found)

- Cue via OSC restricted: does not allow switching to Main Out and Speaker B anymore

- OSC scaling now switchable to correct maximum value for Gain, EQ band type, Room EQ Scale, Expander Threshold,

- Conversion of page 4 for Room EQ (old page 4 invalid, not functional anymore)

- Sending of 0 for non-existent elements

- Increase crash safety for unexpected data

- Settings, OSC Tab: Added compatibility mode option to disable newer OSC functions of TM FX 1.96.

Remote

- New option Follow Submix. Requires TM FX 1.96 or higher as network server.

Mac only, TM FX and Remote

-  Save Workspace writes to Recent list; no stationary flag set

-  Magic Mouse optimization (option to disable tracking)

- Improved limitation handling of max number of character inputs (27)

Download

Windows
TM FX: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_win_196.zip

TM FX Remote 1.42: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_win_remote.zip

Mac
TM FX: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_mac_196.zip

TM FX Remote 1.42: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_mac_remote.zip

New OSC table and TouchOSC template:
TM FX: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/osc_ … ix_new.zip
(the former one is still available as osc_table_totalmix_old.zip)

Changes in beta 5 are explained in post #28 https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 80#p221780

Changes in beta 6 are explained in post #35 https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 59#p221859

Changes in beta 7 are explained in post #46 https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 38#p222038

Installation

Windows: Exit TotalMix FX (right click systray icon) and copy the new version into Windows\System32, overwriting the old file.

Mac: Exit TotalMix FX completely and copy the app into the Applications folder, overwriting the old file.

Have fun and enjoy the holidays!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: TotalMix Fx 1.96 Beta – public preview available Windows/Mac

Wow, cool, many thanks :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Wow MC, this is huge. 

Would there be any chance in the future that
- ARC USB: new option Room EQ On/Off for Main Out
..could be a Fader group or similar, as an alternative of Main Out?

But, yes, happy holidays to you and thanks for the update!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

4 (edited by soundastic 2024-07-19 13:06:41)

Windows defender insists that there is a virus in the zip and won't let me download, namely Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml

I'm sure it's a mistake, but any ideas how to solve this?

Windows 11 Defender here - no such issue. Also it got downloaded. Go to Security and get it out of quarantine manually.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by soundastic 2024-07-19 13:23:53)

Google says this happens as a false positive since Microsoft stopped analizing the zips and instead "machine learning" guesses what a virus MIGHT be. That's just bonkers!
Thank you Matthias, will try to unquarantine it manually.

Yeah, they're really good in bringing the world's whole IT down... wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Settings REW in pictures:

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/configure_eq_rew_s.png

Exporting in formatted text:

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/filtertasks_rew_s.png

Regards,
Audio AG Support

I'm really happy and can't wait to continue working on my mixing software for the UFX+!

MC wrote:

Yup, what a day!!

----------------
----------------

It seems that I cannot control the main out Volume of my Babyface Pro FS anymore. Although I own an ARC remote control, this has been handy.

12 (edited by b4rth 2024-07-19 18:37:33)

Whow, this is great! Thanks for this! Testing will start as soon as I can.

I use a Babyface Pro, a Babyface Pro FS & Fireface 802. When changing the device, TotalMixTotalMix recognises the new device, it appears in the drop down list, however it doesn't switch to the actual attached device and keeps showing the previous one.
http://www.henningharms.com/files/RME/TotalMix_switch.png
Is that intentional? I would prefer plug&play.

MC wrote:

Wow! I just found out what happened! Crazy!

henningharms wrote:

I use a Babyface Pro, a Babyface Pro FS & Fireface 802. When changing the device, TotalMixTotalMix recognises the new device, it appears in the drop down list, however it doesn't switch to the actual attached device and keeps showing the previous one.

It is Plug&Play - and always had worked this way. Usually a new window opens with the new device. Apart from that this is indeed a feature. The list will include all devices from one session. Rebooting the computer or just TM FX will clear it. There are various reasons why it is preferrable to keep the unit in 'memory', from simple re-connecting over sleep mode to...

Is the 'ARC USB not working' post cleared?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
henningharms wrote:

It is Plug&Play - and always had worked this way. Usually a new window opens with the new device. Apart from that this is indeed a feature. The list will include all devices from one session. Rebooting the computer or just TM FX will clear it. There are various reasons why it is preferrable to keep the unit in 'memory', from simple re-connecting over sleep mode to...

Is the 'ARC USB not working' post cleared?

The new device doesn't open a new window here. I can only manually select the new device, or restart TM, which is also the only way to make the ARC USB stop flickering.

The ARC USB flickers because you enabled it for both BF, and TM still tries to address the currently not connected one. You can either disable it in the ARC USB menu for that other BF, save 2 Workspaces where it is enabled only for the respective interface, or restart TM FX.

Please understand that working with two identical units but changing between them repeatedly is a very unusual way of working, so we will not change the current operation that works good for anyone else.

Also - none of this belongs in this thread as it is not related to TM FX 1.96 beta 4.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

1.96 beta 4 working well here Matthias.

----------------
----------------

19 (edited by stephen 2024-07-20 08:58:18)

Additional zoom sizes would be useful. 100% is quite small on my monitor. 135% chops off the bottom of the UI (e.g. DUREC 'Record View' button. Admittedly I can just close some other views like snapshots and groups to make more space but it took me 10 minutes to find Record View the first time I used it.

Zoom to fit would be perfect.

20 (edited by torbenscharling 2024-08-06 19:47:43)

All this time and still can't figure out how to add a simple full screen/maximize feature. But be careful making suggestions, you will end up being called crippled and have your topic closed out of spite.

+1

21 (edited by ramses 2024-07-20 14:25:20)

torbenscharling wrote:

All this time and still can't figure out how to add a simple full screen/maximize feature. But be careful making suggestions, you will end up being called crippled and have your topic closed out of spite.

That only happens to people like you who still haven't learned that it's the tone that makes the music.
But it's so simple. Just ask politely and you'll get a polite answer back.

If I recall correctly, this has already been answered in the past. Changes involve a lot of programming work because (I think) bitmaps are used and not vector graphics. This was done for good reasons, it's very fast and saves computer resources. It would surely be even more work, having to rewrite TM FX completely.

Finally, this topic also has to do with backward compatibility. See the issues with DIGICheck NG, some old graphic cards had issues.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Spot on. But surely TM FX will follow DigiCheck one day, no longer using bitmaps. We try to focus on the important things first, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Spot on. But surely TM FX will follow DigiCheck one day, no longer using bitmaps. We try to focus on the important things first, though.

+1

I've been using the using TM as soon as it got posted, not issues at all with the MADIface Pro.
Only thing I'd love to try is the EQ Room, but I get that could be a hardware limitation pretty much.

I'm gonna keep doing a lot of weird things with TM to try to grab any glitch/bug, but so far it's flawless.
Good job RME!

- There is a small addition to the remote functionality: enabling the new option Follow Submix in the Remote Preferences, the remote’s submix selection will follow any change performed on the TotalMix FX host.

Can confirm. Works flawlessly.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

Thank you for the TotalMix FX – v 1.96 beta 4 update,
and happy holidays to the RME team! 

No problems with the beta so far, and all of my OSC mappings seem to be working still.
It was very nice to see some OSC updates, but is it safe to assume that regarding OSC, this update was still an interim update on the way to a global OSC?

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Fantastic update! Thank you!!!!

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Here comes beta 5 (links in first post) with these further improvements:

- fixed a bug where changing sample rates might show wrong fader positions after the change. In fact the faders then show their positions from a different submix, not the one currently highlighted in the GUI. This occurs only in specfic situations, so stayed unnoticed and wasn't reported for a longer time.  The destination list shown in routing mode Free has been improved as well. Hidden channels are still shown in brackets, but channels not available due to sample rate (SMUX active) are now shown as n.a. at the bottom of the channel.

- I happily eat my own words from post #17 for this improvement: Added a new feature/option for the ARC USB. Options - ARC & Key Commands - tab ARC USB Settings got an extended dropdown list called 'Usage of PC connected ARC USB' with the options Shared (Default), Ignore PC connected ARC USB, Disable when device is offline. The latter is my new favorite as I not only have multiple devices attached quite often, but also configured several Offline devices to be always present.

The ARC USB supports multiple devices, but only as long as the commands don't overlap. So you can't use the main volume encoder function simultaneously on more than one unit. All 15 buttons and the encoder can be set so they use different (or none) commands per device. The new options improve usage in several scenarios, giving more useful options for the ARC USB - again.

Further improvements and changes for OSC:

- added status text for DURec functions

- signalling Pause state by 'flashing'

- the DURec buttons, state and record time information is no longer repeatedly sent, only on changes

For the OSC changes details download the updated OSC table from the usual link (also in first post, now 240722).

The TM FX Remotes have also been updated to this beta 5 state (as far as they were affected), now available as 1.42 beta 2.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Quick note: in beta 5 the checkmarks in front of the routing target have a graphics refresh issue, Windows only. This will be fixed quickly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

30 (edited by mattrixx 2024-07-24 10:18:05)

Hi MC, just a quick note (I haven't d/l'd beta 5 as yet)... However, I am having a problem when recalling workspaces "W".  I am often having a situation where the ARC USB settings are not recalled. 
ie I have the footswitch activate talkback (momentary) and I have ARC button 15 as T/B (hold). 
Those settings are not being recalled.

Sorry, just checked with beta 5... same thing....however, a bit different.
If I "w" and recall the workspace, it works again.
If I quit and re-open Totalmix... it's gone again.
...then reloading "w" the said workspace... it's not recalling the ARC USB settings, until I repeat the "w" process.

Cheers,
Matt

----------------
----------------

Hello,

with TM FX 1.96 b5 and ARC USB (on UCX II driver 1.251) Windows 11;
modifications to Arc USB settings are not remembered.
When I start the computer and UCX II, I have to reload the ARC usb settings .tmarc file;
It's not really annoying. This is just to point out.

W11, UCX II, Cubase 13 Pro, Dorico 5, WaveLab 12

Same here on my Mac.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Confirmed and fixed, new version upcoming.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Generally happy with the performance of the release of 1.96 b5 thanks MC!

I run iPad Remote 1.41 with UFX 3 and I notice that when I switch layout presets on ARC USB remote or in TM directly on Mac this switch does not update on the iPad remote. If I use iPad remote I can still switch layout presets there and TM on Mac & ARC USB update. iPad remote does update on all other moves I do on ARC USB & on Mac. I can't really tell you if this was true with earlier TM releases. I've just noticed it.

Here comes beta 6 (links in first post) with these further improvements:

- Checkmarks were shown (Windows) not shown (Mac) in the channel's routing menu after sample rate changes

- ARC USB and Channel Layout dialog: the respective device name (audio interface) was not correctly retrieved in some cases

- ARC USB settings were reset on reboot for all devices with DSP

The TM FX Remotes have also been updated to this beta 6 state (as far as they were affected), now available as 1.42 beta 3.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks a lot.

W11, UCX II, Cubase 13 Pro, Dorico 5, WaveLab 12

Fantastic MC.. so responsive, thanks again.

----------------
----------------

That is a LOT to implement for an update, and incredibly cool features to boot. You guys are brilliant, and much appreciated!

I appreciate RMEs continued development to their existing software products. If I may request a feature, which I haven't confirmed isn't in the latest beta but I don't think so, is for TMFX to gain compatibility with Windows 11's Snap Layouts. The new Digicheck NG works with this but TMFX remains an outlier. This feature allows users to maximize screen real estate, manage clutter & increase productivity.

As an aside, I want to also thank you for update the Fireface USB window to support HiDPI screens. It looks beautiful and I welcome it totally.

Thank you.

> TMFX to gain compatibility with Windows 11's Snap Layouts

That obviously is not possible as the TM FX window is not freely scalable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

> TMFX to gain compatibility with Windows 11's Snap Layouts

That obviously is not possible as the TM FX window is not freely scalable.

Thanks for your reply. I asked under the assumption it could be changed but now I understand with your clarification.

Fantastic to see the collaboration with Sound ID reference, this is a really powerful feature. One small note on TotalMix. The RoomEQ button on a channel  is usually highlighted when RoomEQ is engaged or activated, or more simply when RoomEQ is ON. However once a Sonarworks profile is imported into RoomEQ, the Channel button for RoomEQ remains highlighted whether it is engaged/activated (ON) or not engaged/activated (OFF).

Then you have either Delay or VolCal set other than default (0). And then the button lit is as expected and as it always worked.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Audio AG Support wrote:

Settings REW in pictures:

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/configure_eq_rew_s.png

Exporting in formatted text:

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/filtertasks_rew_s.png

Thank you very much for your pictures.
Without those, I did not have a chance to import the REW corrections in Room EQ.
Now I happily succeeded to integrate my old passive coax speakers for rear into my 7.1.4 setup.
Two Neumann KH 80s are now open for mobile recording or maybe selling.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

MC wrote:

Then you have either Delay or VolCal set other than default (0). And then the button lit is as expected and as it always worked.

Thank you for explaining MC.

Perhaps going forwards, there could be a feature where the Room EQ button on the channel strip is partially illuminated to denote that  Room EQ is partially enabled (i.e. Room EQ is off but the Delay and Vol. Cal. are on). Especially handy if for example you have 64 channels of Room EQ and you’d like to see at a glance whether Room EQ is activated or not or partially activated/deactivated.

Another handy feature is to A/B a room correction profile, for example where it has been imported from Sound ID. To fully A/B the profile, perhaps there could be a link button to unite the EQ controls with the Delay/Vol Cal, so that the whole of Room EQ is easily toggled on/off. Great to see that this is partially available via ARC Usb for the Main out.

In terms of expectations I think a lot of new users would expect Room EQ to work with similar precedence to DAW plug ins, where the On/Off toggle completely bypasses the plugin and the channel strip illumination button denotes On or Off.

Last minute changes before holidays:

- Extended Import options for Room EQ Presets with Stereo, to Left Channel, to Right Channel. This should solve the obstacles around Sound ID file imports to stereo and mono channels easily and completely. Of course it could also be useful when using Room EQ files from TotalMix FX itself.

- Mac only: The ARC USB Save and Load dialog pointed to Snapshots instead of .tmarc files. This issue was introduced in V 1.90, only on Mac.

Therefore the latest versions are now :

- Windows and Mac TM FX 1.96 beta 7
- Mac TM FX Remote 1.96 beta 4
- Windows TM FX Remote stays on 1.96 beta 3 (no issue to fix)

See updated links in first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias,

Just like to chime in here how happy I am with your Room EQ updates and especially the REW formatted text EQ support.
Since REW is my weapon of choice since years for tuning it just makes it a lot easier.

If it one day could be possible to disable the normal three band EQ as a setting and incorporate it instead into Room EQ, I would smile all the way to my dealer!

Best,
Pål

OscTableTotalMix_240715.ods
tab Comments
Under "Fader Curve calculations"

The calculations are shown in a dingbats font or something like that.

The current version is 240722. The font is Monotype. I just added an xls version with Arial only.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

50 (edited by ASauer 2024-08-03 10:53:15)

Sorry, I meant OscTableTotalMix_240722.ods (The Fader Curve calculations do not exist in OscTableTotalMix_240715.ods.)

The font is indeed Monotype
I now see that the first line under "Fader Curve calculations", in the Formula Bar, reads "float faderPos = receivedValue * 1023.0f;".
In Monotype this is shown as a sort of dingbats. Maybe it's a Mac vs. PC thing.

If I change the font to Arial, it shows the same thing in the sheet as it shows in the Formula Bar.
Thanks for the xls version!