1 (edited by Notherman 2024-07-22 22:40:08)

Topic: ADI 2/4 Pro FS analog input overload protection

Hi,

In mastering, it is common to hit the inputs of your A to D converters quite hot to induce some clipping of the signal. Especially on the Lavry, Dangerous music and Lynx Hilo, driving the input produces wonderful clipping.

I'm wondering whether the same can be achieved with the ADI 2/4 Pro FS, whether there are some overload protection circuits that need to be disabled, or whether it is not desirable to do at all? I haven't dared to push the inputs over as I'm not technically aware enough of potential risks that might result in undesirable artefacts.

Based on listening, some peak clips that show as OVR on the unit sound fine, but I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything stupid. On the Dangerous music A/D unit that I know pretty well, I can drive the input without issues, but whether the ADI A/D converters can be used in some kind of same fashion, I'd appreciate some guidance.

FireFace UFX III
MacBook Pro M1 Pro (Sonoma)

Re: ADI 2/4 Pro FS analog input overload protection

Just use your ears. Clip the AD until it sounds bad then back it off a bit, until it doesn't.

For me the main problem with clipping the AD is that you'll only have a clipped version for archival purposes, unless you run it through twice, once clipped, and once not, but who has time for that in a professional context? So I don't ever do it. I think it was more of "a thing" a decade ago, but we have such great, controllable ITB clippers these days that I prefer to do it that way.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

3 (edited by KaiS 2024-07-23 23:20:47)

Soundwise it‘s best to do the clipping in the analog domain, before AD-conversion.
This way the AD‘s anti-aliasing-filter removes some artifacts and you always get a valid digital signal without inter-sample-peaks.

Might be some ITB-clippers can do the same, e.g. by using oversampling.

Personally I prefer to do my AD-conversation clean, and use sophisticated digital limiters instead of clipping.
For tracking I partly use a parallel process that gives me both at once, a clean and a processed track, e.g. optical/tube compressor with or without EQ.
When mixing I have all options to choose from, one, the other, combined, further processing …

But I’ve long given up on analog mixing and mastering - doesn’t fit into my clients workflow, too time-consuming and (for mastering) mediocre results compared to working ITB.

Otherwise, you may drive the inputs of the ADI 2/4 Pro FS hot for clipping, similar to other high-end converters like Lavry or Dangerous Music. The ADI 2/4 Pro FS handles some clipping gracefully and it produces desirable artifacts. However, make sure you’re not engaging any overload protection circuits.

Please refer to the manual for any specific settings related to overload protection and disable them if it is necessary. Don't push the inputs slightly over because it may yield pleasing results, but closely monitor the OVR indicators with your ears. It would be good if you experiment carefully to avoid distortion.

Greetings, Andrew :-)