Topic: Gone from kext to DriverKit: now complaining about concurrent drivers

TD;DR: how do I manually remove the kext driver?

Can't remember the exact order of events, but quite a while back I installed the driverkit driver. It was annoyingly glitchy, so ended up re-installing the kext one. Fixed all the issues. I'm due updating to the latest driver/TM. Since most stuff I read these days says the DK ones are basically as good as kext ones, I thought I might try going DriverKit one again (especially since this is the latest MacOS so hope maybe Apple have improved their end too). It says the DK driver installer also removes the kext one.

So, installed the latest DK one last night. Did ask me for my password in a terminal window (which I thought was to do with kext uninstall from what I read). Seemed to go normally. On reboot though it complains (afraid I can't remember the exact wording), that I have dual concurrent drivers and I should manually remove the kext one. Also says maybe a reboot will fix it.

Rebooted many times. Still same message. So I guess I need to manually delete the kext driver. How? Where do I find it? Do I need to do anything special like trigger some kext library rebuild thing, or can I just find it, delete it, then reboot, and will live happily ever after?

Mac is M1 Max on latest Sonoma if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Re: Gone from kext to DriverKit: now complaining about concurrent drivers

Just realised the answer is in a sticky at the top! *facepalm*

If I remember rightly I had another device using kext drivers though, so I'm still wondering if there's a way to just delete the RME kext driver and not just brute-force all kext drivers off. I might have to give it a go though if no better way.

Ended in a right mess. Reenabling SIP didn't sort it, other than me then get nothing detected. Tried reinstalling both kext and DK after various boots trying to run one or the other to no avail. In the end I seemed to sort it with this, that some legend posted in another thread...

Clear staged KEXTs with command: sudo kmutil clear-staging

Shutdown

Boot into Recovery Options (On M1, hold down power button while booting)

Launch Terminal

Reset the KEXT system with command: kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/  (Or whatever your startup is called)

Restart

Thanks you great people who mentioned this. smile

To be honest, I now have no idea whether I'm running kext or DK as SIP is disabled, but it's working with one or another again at least, which it wasn't for about an hour there!!!

The driver version number in the Settings dialog clearly tells you which driver is running. And the Kernel Extension warning is coming from our driver, not influenced by SIP settings, so if it isn't showing up now you either still run the KE driver, or the KE was successfully removed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Piplodocus wrote:

It says the DK driver installer also removes the kext one.

So, installed the latest DK one last night. Did ask me for my password in a terminal window (which I thought was to do with kext uninstall from what I read). Seemed to go normally. On reboot though it complains (afraid I can't remember the exact wording), that I have dual concurrent drivers and I should manually remove the kext one. Also says maybe a reboot will fix it.

Then you entered the password with errors. Can happen easily as it is not visible. Just install the DK driver again to run through the same procedure.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The driver version number in the Settings dialog clearly tells you which driver is running. And the Kernel Extension warning is coming from our driver, not influenced by SIP settings, so if it isn't showing up now you either still run the KE driver, or the KE was successfully removed.

Checked version. It's DriverKit running currently. Just figured I may as well re-enabled SIP now. Did so and all good!

None of the glitches I got about a year ago when I last tried DK. That seemed to be generally glitchy but also a guaranteed "pop" every time the screen locked itself or unlocked. So seems to be working great now!

Also seems if I'm running laptop audio from something like YouTube and switch the UFX II on it seems to hand over to the new audio interface quicker, smoother, and doesn't stop the video (or me have to fiddle about with it or wait ages for audio to reappear, which I seemed to be having a lot recently).

So overall, quite pleased with the latest DK one after the initial buggering about trying to get rid of conflicts between the kext & DK one.