Topic: How can I enable the input PAD on the Babyface Pro FS

Hi there,

I use the Babyface Pro FS in CC mode on Linux. I am feeding a quite hot line signal to input 1/2 (XLR). To avoid clipping, beyond moving the gain levels to minimum, I want to enable the 11 dB PAD that is described as a feature. How can I do this with the buttons on the box?

Re: How can I enable the input PAD on the Babyface Pro FS

Input Gain Pad is part of Totalmix wich is not available under CC-mode.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Can RME please add this to a firmware update, so it's switchable on the box? There are enough hardware buttons that could make i work, just as you can switch the phantom power.

What happens when I use totalmix on an antique mac to turn on the PAD, then return to my linux machine in CC mode. Does that preserve the PAD setting, or does it reset to 'off'?

4 (edited by vinark 2024-09-20 10:05:03)

You can buy an inline pad. Looks like a 2 sided XLR plug. Not perfect but if you really need it. Or easier you can turn the source down if that is applicable.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

5 (edited by Sciss 2024-09-20 13:13:06)

It's a compressor that should be driven quite hot and doesn't have a final attenuation stage. Basically I'm getting an almost too hot signal if I just run it in bypass, which I need for A/B comparison.

I'm already looking at the external pads, like Shure A15AS, just wonder if this adds more non-linearities than the built-in PAD of the Babyface (apart from those being overpriced in my opinion).

I still don't understand why RME cannot put that function in any combination of the six buttons on the device.

6 (edited by waedi 2024-09-20 14:47:24)

Sciss wrote:

Can RME please add this to a firmware update, so it's switchable on the box? There are enough hardware buttons that could make i work, just as you can switch the phantom power.

What happens when I use totalmix on an antique mac to turn on the PAD, then return to my linux machine in CC mode. Does that preserve the PAD setting, or does it reset to 'off'?

it would have to stay ON power and thats not possible for switching on CC-mode.
How about recording into the old Mac and transfer the files to the Linux afterwards ?
Reaper works on oldest Macs.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:
Sciss wrote:

it would have to stay ON power and thats not possible for switching on CC-mode.

You are wrong, and because of that point out a simple workaround smile

- Use an external power supply.
- Set PAD while on USB
- Remove USB
- Press SELECT and DIM to change to CC
- Done

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Or one may use powered USB hub instead of external power supply.

9 (edited by Sciss 2024-09-22 15:43:20)

Thanks Matthias for the workaround. I'd still like to encourage to make it switchable via button combo on the box.