Topic: Windows audio glitches sometimes after clock source change (autosync)

I have a UCX II with the default clock source set to SPDIF. Attached to the SPDIF input is some HDMI matrix splitter with coaxial SPDIF out, with the inputs being various game consoles, which are not on at all times. As such, I rely on autosync to seamlessly switch between SPDIF and internal clock sources based on whether a console is turned on or not. Occasionally however, WDM playback will start glitching out when the source changes. This effect isn't readily repeatable, and in the few times that it has happened, I just restarted my interface to get things operational again.

Next time it happens, I'll test to see if ASIO playback is affected and test other methods of fixing the issue, including restarting the Windows audio service and restarting affected applications. I'll post the results of such experiments in this thread for reference. Note as well that the internal routing seems to be unaffected when this happens, as my mic input on Analog 1 continues to be monitored without issue. I initially started experiencing the issue on an earlier firmware and driver, but the issue persists (with much lower apparent frequency) on the latest firmware and driver.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? What was your experience with it?

Re: Windows audio glitches sometimes after clock source change (autosync)

According to the description you perform sample rate changes that are not allowed and will cause issues, which are then visible in the Settings dialog in red color - system clock does not match hardware clock. See manual chapter 8.7. Not to mention that WDM apps are not allowed to run during sample rate changes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Windows audio glitches sometimes after clock source change (autosync)

I’ll take a close look at that menu the next time this happens, but all systems (Windows and running programs, UCX II, and all game consoles via SPDIF) are set to operate at 48kHz. Would mismatched clocks still be possible then?