1 (edited by m.chagneux 2024-09-26 21:48:52)

Topic: Loud screeching sound and app freeze in multiclient mode

Hi,

I have the Babyface (first version) running on Windows 10. I'm making a live set where I'm running both Ableton Live and Bitwig Studio on the same computer, both outputting to the optical AS 1/2 and sending to the interface of a friend through ADAT, with both of our soundcards at 44.1 Khz. Several times when we were rehearsing some super loud sound started out of nowhere and Ableton froze with meters at +infinity. Bitwig was fine, so I'm still hoping this is a software problem. But this also resembles a driver problem. I read from the manual that Babyface can be used in multiclient mode as I'm doing, but maybe I misunderstood ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Loud screeching sound and app freeze in multiclient mode

Multiclient makes only sense to me, if only one application writes and the rest of the applications (multiclient) have only read access. Can it be, that one application tries to change communication parameters? Sample rate, bit depth?
Make somehow no sense to me to use two DAWs in parallel ... maybe therefore the issues?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by m.chagneux 2024-09-26 23:38:12)

Re: Loud screeching sound and app freeze in multiclient mode

I think I found what's wrong.

The manual says:

"RME audio interfaces support multi-client operation. Several programs can be used at the same
time. Since driver version 0.981 the formats ASIO and WDM can even be used on the same
playback channels simultaneously"

But that's only for the ASIO / WDM case. In my case I'm running both DAWs in ASIO, I guess as I have to use TotalMix routing, as this other paragraph suggests:

"Simultaneous playback of different programs via a single stereo output. The ASIO multi-
client driver supports the usage of several programs at the same time, but only on different
playback channels
. TotalMix provides the means to mix and monitor these on a single stereo
output."

I'll try this at the next rehearsal.

Make somehow no sense to me to use two DAWs in parallel ...

Well, these DAWs have different capabilities. I have tons of instrument patches in Ableton that I wanted to use for this live performance, but I'm also regularly using the Bitwig Grid for live modular patching. It's like I'm using Bitwig as a eurorack module. If they made a plugin out of the Bitwig Grid I would use that 100%, but right now I have it running on the side. Both are synced with Ableton Link which is very stable.