Topic: Babyface Pro FS - crackling, pops, and dropouts across macOS and Win

Hi, I bought the Babyface Pro FS in March this year, and since then, I've had nothing but problems with it. I'm considering selling or exchanging it, or maybe claiming warranty. I know the TotalMix Pro software very well, but unfortunately, nothing helps with my issue related to crackling, pops, and dropouts, or whatever you want to call it. Let me start with my setup: I have a MacBook Pro 2019 i9, 16GB RAM, 4GB GPU, and I'm using Ableton 12 (I also used 11, and it was the same), and Reaper. As for macOS, I've used Ventura, Sonoma, and the latest Sequoia – and it’s the same on all of them. Yes, I’ve updated drivers and the USB flash. Nothing helps, even disabling the macOS kernel driver (one of the threads mentioned it on this forum, but unfortunately, it didn’t help). I feel cheated; I dreamed of this interface, but it turned out to have bigger problems than the cheapest audio interfaces. I've tried everything, including other computers and Windows – same issue. I expected more from a device that costs $999…

Overall, I’m also disappointed with the latency. When I bought this interface, I thought I’d at least be able to use 128 samples of latency, but unfortunately, with this problem, I can forget about that, and the minimum I can use is 512, if not 1080. And it’s not just about my laptop; the problem also occurs on a Windows PC that’s twice as powerful as my MacBook Pro mentioned above.

Moreover, the strangest problem happens with Ableton, because the dropouts and audio pops are nothing compared to the recording quality of the Shure SM7B microphone in Ableton – it’s terrible, the lows are cut, and it sounds like a cheap microphone from a flea market. This doesn’t happen in Reaper. I thought the issue was with Ableton, but after testing it with a different interface, the mic works as it should.  Please help. Apologies in advance for my English.

Re: Babyface Pro FS - crackling, pops, and dropouts across macOS and Win

You should contact RME support directly and discuss checking/exchanging the unit with them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME