Topic: FF400 Anoying Buzzing Sound Problem...Help!

hi there!

I'm an rme ff400 user for around 2 year...never had any single little
problem...until now.

I think I know I' am doing everything correctly so the sound cards works perfectly...but I just cannot figure out where the problem comes from.

Somehow, with no visible reason, everyday when producing or just hearing
music for a while, the whole sound just goes completely down and you start
to hear an really annoying sound like (piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii) that only
stops, when I disconnect the FF400 and Reconnect it again...

at the beggining i thought it would be for having a focusrite liquid mix
connected to the rme ff400 firewire port...but...no...the problem remains even when
focusrite liquid mix is disconnected...

all the drivers are up to date...

I have my ff400 sample rate in 48.000khz (because i use this rate to produce music9...can be from this? It shouldnt be..i guess...

Can you please help me on this...

i'll let u know what im using to produce to see if anyone can help me out on this because its really cracking my head apart...

TECH INFO

MacBook 2.0 Ghz 4GB DDR2 RAM (latest version of Mac Osx Tiger)
RME FF400 with updated drivers
Focusrite Liquid Mix - Connected trhough the FF400 Firewire Bus (but with power connection on)
Evolution UC.33 Midi Controller (Via USB)
M-Audio Midi Simple Keyboard - Connected Via Usb
(This one i think it should be included, but has it has their own drivers and setting...i can never guess) Focal Solo 6BE Monitors.

thats it...

i've already tried to connect the ff400 through the electrical power connection...the problem remains..

any clues?

thanks in advance

pedro goya

www.pedrogoya.com
info@pedrogoya.com

Re: FF400 Anoying Buzzing Sound Problem...Help!

This is really mind cracking...

I've already changed the overall sample rate to 44.1000 khz...re-installed the new drivers (mac intel)...for liquid mix the same...

i've been also reading about firewire audio driver...i think i have the latest one too (2.2 according to my mac version)...

I've installed the ff400 in another macbook (lower than mine) less memory...less speed...and it runs perfectly...

i just cant seem to see where the problem comes from...

i'm a logic 7.2 user...never had a problem...

the cpu is not overloading when this buzzing (piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii) happens...

can anyone help....please?

thank you

www.pedrogoya.com
info@pedrogoya.com

3 (edited by rensel 2008-11-09 22:35:13)

I'm also experiencing this exact same problem on my Dell Vostro 1500 notebook, which has a Ricoh firewire 400 controller, in Windows XP Pro SP3.

Using the coaxial spdif out on the FF400 to my external DAC, every so often the sound changes to a distorted buzzing noise when using the following programs. I can faintly hear the intended sound but it's just severely distorted. I normally use DDS to upsample to 96 kHz, but the problem also happens when DDS is off (44 kHz playback). This also happens when the buffer size is set to maximum 1024 samples or any other lower setting.

- Media Player Classic (upsampled to 96 kHz with FFDShow)
- WinAmp upsampled to 96 kHz with Otochan ASIO plugin (also happens at regular 44 kHz without Otochan)
- foobar2k with Secret Rabbit Code set to 96 kHz (also happens at regular 44 kHz without SRC)
- General Youtube browsing with IE or Firefox (sample rate will be converted to 96kHz if another application playing at 96 kHz is run first)
- Games like World of Goo and Quake Live

I've configured XP to minimise DPC as much as possible (by disabling unnecessary services, setting priority to background tasks, disabling the MS ACPI battery and other devices in Device Manager, disabling WLAN, disabling unncessary start up programs, and other "tweaks" I've searched on this forum, but none of these fix the problem.

I've tried everything I can to fix it myself, but I have a feeling it's a firmware or driver issue with Fireface 400 since many others who have the same problem (even on a Mac like the OP) haven't fixed this. I hope a firmware update will be released soon.

Ol? Pedro,
Esperava encontrar aqui toda a gente menos tu...ehehehe.
Eu tamb?m tenho uma Fireface 400 e j? tive esse problema por isso se quiseres contactar-me via msn est?s ? vontade porque acho que consigo ajudar-te no caminho da solu??o.

Abra?o e at? breve!

Cheers!

Fireface 400 + DIGI96/8 PAD. It's old but works.

5 (edited by undercode 2008-11-10 01:37:17)

Rensel, I can tell you from personal experience that is not firmware or RME drivers problem.
First thing you must do is to set your laptop audio interface as the primary sound card for the OS, in your case, XP. The only time that I had that super beep was when I changed my firewire pci interface from one pci slot to another and the configuration went to a default Fireface 400 set as default audio interface. As soon as you send the FF400 away from OS defaults, I think that that beep will end.

(Pedro, se te conseguires orientar com isto ? na boa, se n?o, ca?a-me no msn na mesma. Abra?o)

Cheers.

undercode wrote:

Rensel, I can tell you from personal experience that is not firmware or RME drivers problem.
First thing you must do is to set your laptop audio interface as the primary sound card for the OS, in your case, XP. The only time that I had that super beep was when I changed my firewire pci interface from one pci slot to another and the configuration went to a default Fireface 400 set as default audio interface. As soon as you send the FF400 away from OS defaults, I think that that beep will end.

(Pedro, se te conseguires orientar com isto ? na boa, se n?o, ca?a-me no msn na mesma. Abra?o)

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. I've done as you've said and unfortunately the problem still happens. The sound becomes distorted and speeds up, and the only way to get rid of this is to either unplug and replug the firewire cable or restart all programs outputting audio (but this doesn't work sometimes). It only beeps (not exactly a beep, but a very long one, like the sound of a heart rate monitor at hospital when someone passes away) when I try to do something about the distorted noise, like close the program that's outputting the audio. Sometimes when I close all programs outputting sound and reopen them again the distortion disappears but I've had times when this didn't happen. Since this distortion/speed up problem is happening in both OS X and XP, how can this be software related? There's nothing I can do to make this distortion appear by itself; it just happens randomly.

7 (edited by rensel 2008-11-11 01:28:19)

I'm currently using the fireface 400 on a different laptop, my friend's Vaio VGN-SZ270 containing a TI PCI8412 controller, and I'll let you know the results after I test it out for a day. So far it's working much better than on my Dell Vostro 1500. Two hours in and I haven't heard a pop or skip yet while playing music with foobar2k with SRC at 96 kHz. So it actually may be my crappy Vostro 1500 with the Ricoh controller that's causing the distortion, if everything works out well on the Vaio. I'll post an update tomorrow.

i've already switched the defaul output to the buil-in output...and the problem still remains :S

"era disto que falavas undercode? mudar o default output para o "built-in output"?
ou terei que fazer outra coisa?
nao tou mm a ver solu?ao para esta merda...a n ser o tal biqueiro na ff400 lolol

abra?os

www.pedrogoya.com
info@pedrogoya.com

9 (edited by rensel 2008-11-11 10:07:31)

I'm now convinced that the distortion is caused by the high DPC latency in the Vostro 1500; the Fireface 400 isn't at fault since it works perfectly on the Vaio SZ. In order for playback/recording to be glitch/pop-free on the Vaio using a 96 or 128 buffer size, however, it needed to be tweaked using the methods I mentioned previously and intelppm had to be disabled, causing the CPU and fan (increasing noise) to run at full speed all the time. The sound glitches and DPC rises significantly only when downloading at high speeds or removing/inserting the power plug.

This is the dpc result of the vaio sz after it's been tweaked, which has XP SP3 similar to the Vostro 1500. The Vostro 1500 ranges at 300 to 500 ?s using the same tweaks.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/7186/dpcvaioszbu3.jpg

To everyone else who has the same problem, check your dpc latencies. If you don't have similar low, stable results as what's in the screenshot after doing all the tweaks, nothing can be done other than replacing hardware. sad

Ummmmm.... Compraste o Mac quando Pedro? J? testaste a Fireface num pc?

Cheers.

tem cerca de 1 ano e meio...2 anos...
ja trabalhei num pc com a ff40...e deu sem problemas

tal como no mac...sempre funcionou na perfeicao...

n percebo mm o pk deste piiiiiiiiiiiiii...tira-te mm o animo td kd tas com ideias e a trabalhar na musica, pk tenho ke desligar td...desligar o logic e voltar a ligar...

n acredito ke seja do mac em si...pk sempre deu...2 anos a bombar cm deve ser e agora variou...

deve ser kk definicao que n estou a ver...

tanto n e do mac ke tenho outro mac mais fraco so com 1 giga de memoria ram (o com ke trabalho tem 4gb e ? 2.1ghz) e o outro ? um  2.0ghz com 1 giga de ram...e da na boa no mac fraco lolol...

sera alguma conflito entre a placa da audio 8dj k uso para tocar so com o traktor?

ja tou mm a deitar fumo da cabe?a pk n chego a conclusao nenhuma...nem tou a ver solucao pra isto...e aki entre nos ja que ninguem nos entende...os gajos da rme, tb n dao suporte nenhum...ja lhes enviei alguns mails...e nc me responderam...

abra?os

www.pedrogoya.com
info@pedrogoya.com

Sem dares por isso, est?s a come?ar a fazer o que ? preciso: Tentativa - Erro.

Se no mac mais fraco d?, est?s ? partida a isolar que o problema ? apenas do mac mais novo.
Esse beep ? um conflito firewire. Alguma coisa est? a usar o canal firewire que a placa de som tamb?m t? a usar. Algum software que instalaste est? a colidir com a Fireface. Tenta remover os drivers da outra placa que t?s a usar ou ent?o caso tenhas feito backups, usa o Time Machine e volta atr?s no tempo, na integra.

Vai por mim Pedro, isso n?o ? mesmo avaria da Fireface.

Cheers.

Quanto aos mails que mandaste ? malta da RME, a melhor maneira para chegar a eles ? por aqui no forum. Eles andam aqui todos os dias. Eles n?o te d?o ajuda, porque n?o ? stress da placa. Se fosse, daqui a 2 dias tinhas um firmware novo.
A s?rio, h? muitos posts a falarem desse problema e ? sempre derivado a algum software ou m? configura??o que causa o beep.
Tenta fazer o b?sico no mac que ? ir ao utilit?rio do disco e fazer reparar permiss?es.
Outra cena, se queres que a malta se debruce sobre o assunto, s? espec?fico no teu setup. S? assim ? que as cabe?as podem funcionar e tentar resolver o problema.

Cheers!

sadly i dont speak spanish

but i can confirm that setting the mac to built in output (ie ff400 is not default audio device) does not solve the problem

It goes BBBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP every twenty minutes or so , and i've got some fairly loud monitors

sad sad sad

moi j'avais des beep courts de niveaux differents et qui arrivaient de manière aléatoire. j'ai changé la prise , j'ai branché le cablé firewire dans la seconde prise donc ... et pareil au niveau de l'ordinateur. j'ai mis les pilotes à jour, j'ai redémarré l'ordinateur. et pour l'instant le probleme a disparu.

je parle d'un probleme de beep  court et non d'un son long comme beeeeeeeep

Hi guys.

I had the same problem some time ago, with the awful destiny of having an acoustic trauma, when this happened to me.

I´m now asking RME a legal representant to contact, since I have been harmed permanently.

Also, I´m looking for other people experiences like this, since they are argumenting this was an error of mine.

please contact me  c o e vo co lo quio @ hotmail . c o m if you want to participate on the report i´m building.

Greets.

Hi,
I'm using the FF400 (FW 1.70) with an Vaio S13M1E, Win 7 32bit and Ricoh FW. I also have this saw-sound once in a while and cannot figure out why it happens. I use the latest rme drivers (3.047) and the legacy FW-driver and optimized my system for audio like deactivation WLAN and configured my onw powermanagement profile for best performance. I just can say everything works fine also with 96 samples without glitches/clicks and then after some hours, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes not, I got this saw noise and there is no other way than to disconnect FW400 to get this noise stopped. Reconnecting the FW400 doesn't work, the red host light remains on. Also turning of and on the FF400 has no effect. When I click on the rme symbol in the tray I sometimes get the message from the rme driver "This driver version requires at least Firmware revision 2.77"... 2.77 is only for FF800. Only way is to reboot.
I already flashed the latest Firmware for FF400 again, reinstalled FW driver and rme driver....
It happend/happens in Cubase Studio 4.5 but also with Windows Media Player.
Biggest problem is, that I need my Laptop live on stage and also for live recordings. In my last recording job I missed the first song because of this, stupid. On stage I'm working with Ableton 8 and until now I was lucky but I'm afraid of using it on stage in the future.
The rme support didn't respond yet....it's now 2 weeks ago.
Any tips for me?
Thanks!

Ok, now it happend also in Ableton Live...I think I gonna try a Dawicontrol eCard.

kankaban wrote:

Hi guys.

I had the same problem some time ago, with the awful destiny of having an acoustic trauma, when this happened to me.

I´m now asking RME a legal representant to contact, since I have been harmed permanently.

Also, I´m looking for other people experiences like this, since they are argumenting this was an error of mine.

please contact me  c o e vo co lo quio @ hotmail . c o m if you want to participate on the report i´m building.

Greets.

Same VERY high saw noise here. Several people are having this same issue and RME obviously doesn't care enough about their customers AND their health. When you purchase gear that expensive you want it to be safe and working. I am getting nothing but trouble and i don't want to end up with a trauma. I am 100 % with you to participate on that report. If RME doesn't solve this problem people are going to know all over the internet.

The Dawicontrol FW-800 eCard was a real shit concerning to find a resolution for live performance. Dawicontrol writes about Hot-Swaping but when I disconnected the eCard without loging it of, my system hanged/crashed completely. If you think about a live situation where such things can happen so it's even more insecure. It also only worked with the legacy firewire driver. (neither with the Unibrain nor the Texas Instrumentes: It wasn't possible to install the FF400 driver). And don't try to use the Unibrain driver from the website in Win 7, it caused a bluescreen and I had to uninstall the driver in safe mode. Maybe it will work on other systems, it's just my experience with it...
Now I'm searching for alternatives to RME, can't believe it. The support still didn't answer maybe because of too many problems???