Topic: ADI 8 QS as an AD DA with different sources at the same time ?!

Hello to all!

I'm a very satisfied RME user, with FF800 and ADI 8 QS, but really a 'newbie'.

Mostly I use 8QS as the master (via ADAT) to FF800, using both to record on location. All the monitoring is thru the FF800, and both units does the A-D.

As you can see, I do not use the DA section of 8QS, what makes me unhappy!

In this scenario, would it be possible to send a mix or stems/subgrups from the FF800 to 8QS and use it as a DA (it's not the same analog material that is being A-D'd on the 8QS!)?

It should be possible to both record (8QS converts A-D and sends ADAT to FF800) and monitor at the same time (FF800 sends ADAT to 8QS that converts D-A) - is it??

If not, can you suggest me an alternative way to do it?

Thanks a lot.

regards,
ave

Re: ADI 8 QS as an AD DA with different sources at the same time ?!

> In this scenario, would it be possible to send a mix or stems/subgrups from the FF800 to 8QS and use it as a DA (it's not the same analog material that is being A-D'd on the 8QS!)?

Of course.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello! Thanks for the prompt answer!

So let me try to understand - in the scenario I described:

- the ADI 8QS can be the master clock (converting A-to-D) sending thru ADAT to FF800;

- FF800 as slave receives clock thru ADAT (+ADI AD 8 channels);

- at the same time FF800 does it's own A-to-D (10 ch = 2 pre + 8 line); and even D-A output (as I'm doing currently);

- FF800 conectes to computer - software does routing, mixing... them FF800 send thru ADAT like 8 chanels of something we set (submix, 5.1, 8 chs...) + sync/clock (?);

- the ADI 8QS receives this ADAT from FF800 (and syncs to it? or use ADI 8QS clock???)

(so A-D and D-A are happening at the same time and situation on BOTH ADI + FF)?

Or ADI has independent clocks/SRs for A-D and D-A sections??? Do I need wordclock ?? (How?)

Sorry - my english is REALLY bad and I'm REALLY a newbie.

Thanks,
regards,
ave.

> the ADI 8QS receives this ADAT from FF800 (and syncs to it? or use ADI 8QS clock???)

It syncs to it (technically spoken) but will use its own clock (you set it to master). You do not need wordclock.

BTW, usually it is better to set the FF to master and the QS to slave. This way changes of the sample rate will automatically set up everything correctly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME