1 (edited by emdebee 2008-12-09 04:18:33)

Topic: EuCon support for RME products?

Hi,

I have a Fireface 800 and it's a fantastic piece of gear. I recently purchased a Euphonix MC Control for my studio, and it has also proven to be a great buy.

My experience using Mackie Control with the RME has been somewhat clunky. I recently saw an Apogee Ensemble at a mates studio, and was stunned by it's level of integration within Logic and the Euphonix gear. Wouldn't it be great to have that same level of integration with RME gear too?

Can it be done?

I'm sure it can be... wink

http://www.euphonix.com/artist/products … /eucon.php

Re: EuCon support for RME products?

I'm finding it quite odd that after all of the views regarding my post on EuCon support there has been not one comment and no input at all from RME regarding this!

Am I the only person here using a Mac and Euphonix gear?

The fact that RME won't respond to this I find extremely arrogant! Come on RME, some sort of response to this would be greatly appreciated as ignoring my question is making my move to Apogee even more likely!

emdebee wrote:

I'm finding it quite odd that after all of the views regarding my post on EuCon support there has been not one comment and no input at all from RME regarding this!

Am I the only person here using a Mac and Euphonix gear?

The fact that RME won't respond to this I find extremely arrogant! Come on RME, some sort of response to this would be greatly appreciated as ignoring my question is making my move to Apogee even more likely!

Or maybe like myself they wondered what EuCon was and clicked to see.

Oh and threatening like above won't help anything. Except to make you look like a tosser.

Maybe you are the only person using this combination.

Isaac

4 (edited by emdebee 2009-01-06 05:13:10)

Well, I do find that if someone ignores a basic question, it does fall into the realms of arrogance! I have tried to be civil - but that has been ignored. I purchased my FF800 with the understanding that DIGICheck was available - but as I found out only to Windoze users. Firstly this was one of the major reasons I went for RME, but as I have found out over the last year and a bit - Mac users are certainly treated as second class citizens here. But thanks RME for finally releasing a Mac version! We have all been waiting for this for a very long time.

isaac - I am certainly not a tosser - just pissed off that a basic question is completely ignored! It wasn't a threat at all, I just feel that unless there is some sort of decent product support for Mac users aren't I better off using a product that actually does?

I have been working professionally in the music industry for over 24 years and I have never come across a situation where a software/hardware developer has ignored such a basic question, which makes me feel like RME don't really give a toss! Which is a crying shame... All I want is an answer to a basic question, which is what anyone would expect!

5 (edited by Timur 2009-01-06 10:32:58)

I suggest that you write an email to support. But EuCon integration doesn't seem very likely because there are just too many propietary protocols out there to write support for everyone into the drivers.

Yes, it would be nice to have that. But if you write to Euphonix asking wether they would implement the open protocol OpenSouncControl (OSC) as alternative to EuCon they will likely tell you how much better their own solution is eventhough it is not. And surely they wont implement it, because that contradict their business model.

OSC has higher precision (upto 64 bit), can do anything that EuCon does and offers higher speed if you want it. The latter is easily possible because OSC is independent of any transport protocol and thus can easily be used over Ethernet which is a proven and stable solution over hundreds and thousands of meters (or even worldwide if you are using the Internet for transport).

Manufacturers often don't come up with a propietary standard to make things better, but to make others pay licencing fees or at least bind customers to their closed and thus inexchangeable systems once they got used to it.

I can assure you that there will be no other remote protocol implemented into our products as what there already is. We simply don't have the time. And the existing stuff does what it should do.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Timur wrote:

I suggest that you write an email to support. But EuCon integration doesn't seem very likely because there are just too many propietary protocols out there to write support for everyone into the drivers.

Okay Timur, 'fess up. How do you know so much about the Eucon protocol?

8 (edited by Timur 2009-01-06 22:41:18)

Randy wrote:
Timur wrote:

Okay Timur, 'fess up. How do you know so much about the Eucon protocol?

I don't, apart from what Euphonix provide on their website. And I don't see any much spectacular there. Very nice and useful yes, but why invent just another new protocol for that? ed:

When I wrote "many proprietary protocols" I meant the whole bunch of EuCon, Automap (Sysex and Rewire based btw), mLAN, HD Protocol (this looks like going through kind of a standard gremium at least), Studio Connect, OSC (and RTP) and whatever else people come up with just to advertise something "special". (Does anybody know how SONAR V-Studio 700 transports its data?)

Just to make that clear, I don't oppose including further protocol integration into RME's drivers, but it just seemed unlikely to me that RME would invest energy to implement these. And obviously Matthias just confirmed that.

What I'd really like to see, though, is MIDI control over the "Settings" in order to remote control Phantom Power and Gain. The Micstacy offers this, but I fear it's seen as a characteristic feature of the Micstacy that is not meant to be offered by the rest of the flock. sad

9 (edited by emdebee 2009-01-06 23:31:46)

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response!

It's just that I absolutely hate the Mackie Control protocol and the fact that it is klunky and doesn't have the resolution I am after which is why I went to Euphonix and EuCon for my control needs. Did you all know that there will be PC support? It just seems that it is the best protocol around at the moment which is commercially available and well supported.

Timur - I agree, it would be advantageous to include MIDI control for basic driver settings. I also know about OSC but what commercially available control surfaces support this, not to mention software support (DAW's)? The reason I was chiming on about EuCon is how I was very surprised at the brilliant Apogee integration within Logic Pro and the Euphonix gear. I do realise that this is all totally Mac orientated but as Euphonix will be providing PC support I thought I should pop the question as I believe that it would be a brilliant option for RME to support. BTW - the EuCon protocol is over Ethernet...

Anyway - Happy New Year to all

Sorry about my tone earlier, but I do hate being ignored as I am sure most people would... smile

All I wanted to know is where RME stood regarding this. Thanks for finally clearing this up Matthias!

It is this kind of response that assures me that I will (a) never buy anything else from RME and (b) tell people to stay clear of RME. Too many other choices where vendors listen to their customers. And yes, I have an Avid Artist Control. I guess RME thinks they can ignore Avid customers. I believe they do it at their own peril.

MC wrote:

I can assure you that there will be no other remote protocol implemented into our products as what there already is. We simply don't have the time. And the existing stuff does what it should do.

Cubase 6 64 bit, Windows 7, RME AES HDSP-32, Lynx Aurora 16. Bricasti M7, API 2500, etc.

Swurveman wrote:

It is this kind of response that assures me that I will (a) never buy anything else from RME and (b) tell people to stay clear of RME. Too many other choices where vendors listen to their customers. And yes, I have an Avid Artist Control. I guess RME thinks they can ignore Avid customers. I believe they do it at their own peril.

MC wrote:

Sheesh. Relax man. I use both Sequoia and Nuendo who have great eucon support. Why would I want it in the rme utilities? I'd rather they focus making great hardware and great drivers. I'm probably an RME user for life.

Cheers
Randy