1 (edited by p.schwartz 2008-12-27 02:53:47)

Topic: FF800 & Logic 8: stuttering and "error synchronizing" message

Before I describe my problem, here are my System Specs:

? Logic 8.0.2
? FF800, connected by factory-supplied FW400 cable to a G5 Quad 2.5, and occasionally a G4 1.67GHz Powerbook
? OSX 10.4.9
? When using the FF800 with the Quad, the FF is connected to a 3rd party FW PCI-e card, ensuring that the FF800 lives on its own FW bus

PROBLEM: At random times, typically spaced an hour or so apart, playback of audio from Logic 8 will stutter (playing back the same small snippet of audio back around 8 times in a row), after which the warning "error synchronizing audio and MIDI" will be displayed. This problem has shown up on two different systems using two different FF800's and two different cables.

Last week I discussed this problem directly with the ever-helpful Jeff at Synthax. He suggested that this was a Logic problem, but that I try increasing the buffer size as well as use a different cable to see if the situation would improve. Increasing the buffer size proved not to be a viable option because the resulting increase in latency negatively affected the feel of playing software instruments. Swapping out the FW cable hasn't heped, so unfortunately the problem remains.

Wondering if anyone else has had the above problem and found an acceptable solution.

Re: FF800 & Logic 8: stuttering and "error synchronizing" message

Have you tried connecting it to the internal FW-bus instead?
I use mine like that and it only glitches if I have huge arrangements.

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try what you suggested and see if that changes anything.

Cheers!

At long last, a chance to reply... I've moved the FF800 from the 3rd party FW card to the regular ol' Mac FW port. The stuttering problem has gone away, but I still get occasional dropouts.

I'm of the mind that this piece of kit should work flawlessly, yet it does not even under very light loads. For example, I'm currently writing a film score that involves mainly piano (one instance of EXS-24 in Logic). Even when playing back nothing but these piano parts I get occasional dropouts. This CAN'T be normal.

Can it?

Stuttering cropped up again just recently, even with the 3rd party FW card. My system hasn't changed since I posted this back in December.

Anyone from RME care to reply on this situation?

You did try another cable already, didn't you?

Indeed I did. HeadScratch

Some of us seem to be having similar issues on PC here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4975

Scott Sibley
Technical Advisor-Toontrack Music
Owner?Engineer?Producer
Rainbow Sounds Recording

Yes, problem here as well with Windows, Multiface II, latest drivers 3.077 and Cubase 4.5.2

Please someone from RME can take a serious look at this one? More and more users are appearing having this problem with completely different setups one from another.

10 (edited by p.schwartz 2009-04-02 23:06:50)

Here's my story:

? Two completely different systems:
- a PPC Quad + my personal FF800 at my studio
- a portable rig -- PPC G4 Powerbook + a rental FF800 (for live broadcast)
? Both using the factory-supplied 15' FW cable.
? Both computers running the same version of Logic, RME software, and Logic song file. Minimal tracks (8 stereo stems, no plugins, about as basic as you can get).

Playback on both systems would result in occasional, random stuttering that would last for 1 - 2 seconds. Afterwards, an error message about trouble "synchronizing audio and MIDI" would pop up in Logic.

? Replacing the FW cable didn't improve the situation on either system.

? On my studio system, using a new cable + connecting the FF800 to a 3rd party FW card improved the situation dramatically. Now the stuttering problem happens only very rarely, but it still occurs.

Ok today I was working in a different studio than mine.

Setup:
Quadcore Q9400 CPU
Windows XP Professional SP2

Cubase 5
RME Fireface800

So now we have three RME interfaces with the same symptoms: FF800, Digiface and Multiface II

PC and Mac. Logic, Cubase 4 and Cubase 5

12 (edited by p.schwartz 2009-11-29 19:36:45)

Right.

It's been nearly a year since I started this thread. The problem still occurs.

I'd like to know what's so special about this problem that someone from RME hasn't yet thought to offer the courtesy of a reply?

Bump

Originally posted on 12-26-2009.

Searched the forum but haven't found a solution. Maybe "stutter" is the wrong keyword to search for? In any case, if a solution to this problem has been posted here and some kind soul would point me to it I'd much appreciate it. Thanks.

MacPro (5,1) 2010 8-Core 2.4GHz | 32G RAM | OSX 10.6.8 | FF800