Topic: Product Comparison Info: current line verses older!

greetings,
I have a Nuendo 8 i\0 (adi 8 pro from my understanding) I'm curious about its AD and DA converter technology as well as its clocking technology verses the new line of the adi pro products?

(curious, which adi-8pro was the Nuendo branded 8 i\0 modeled after?)

thanks

Re: Product Comparison Info: current line verses older!

Hi,

The Nuendo 8 i/o was sold both as the original ADI-8 PRO (48khz) and ADI-8 DS (96khz).
I've owned both units.

Other than the name branding the units are (of course) completely the same as RME original units.

They are both good converters, but keep in mind that the ADC DAC technology have moved far from the days of the original design.
Today I use the ADI-8 QS which is a vastly improved hardware design and sounds incredible.

P

3 (edited by Bobalou 2009-01-05 16:58:11)

thank you for that P?l,
mine is the 48k version. I planned on keeping that converter and adding dedicated 8 channel mic pre to put in front of it for extra drum inputs.

I was looking into the ADi-2 as a possible addition for my main ad/dac needs. do you see the adi-2 as RME's top level 2 channel converter, or would i find better conversion (both ends) in the 8 channel ADI-8 QS or another one of their products?

thanks again

ADI-2 is good, QS is clearly better. Much better analog stages.

P

hmm! so it appears RME doesnt really have a stellar 2 channel ada thats in the same class as the Benchmarks, Apogees,myteks of this world? looks like i'd need to get into their QS 8 channel converter to get to that class?...thanks again.
Bobby

Bobalou wrote:

hmm! so it appears RME doesnt really have a stellar 2 channel ada thats in the same class as the Benchmarks, Apogees,myteks of this world? looks like i'd need to get into their QS 8 channel converter to get to that class?...thanks again.
Bobby

Hi,

IMHO the ADI-2 is just as good as the Benchmark, Apogee etc. And it isn't plagued by the really large sample buffering of the Benchmarks, making them harder to use in a tracking situation where low latency is demanded.
ADI-2 is really good. QS is just better. QS is (once again IMHO) clearly better than the latest from Apogee, Lynx and Benchmark.

However your ears might prove otherwise.

P