Topic: Questions about RME ADI-2 D/A-Monitorcontrol

Good day to all of you,

I hope that I don't bring up already answered questions; the search-function didn't give me satisfying answeres 'though, so I hope you won't be too upset with me posting.

Here's the situation:
I'm sort of a headphone-enthusiast (obviously you could call me rather a nut, I s'ppose) and everything but a professional when it comes to gear like the ADI-2 - listening to music is what I primarily do; therefore I bought an ADI-2 to finally get a small, decent combination of D/A converter and headphone-amp.

First of all I want to say that I'm very happy with the sound of the ADI-2! It's just gorgeous what pleasant sound you've managed to get out of such a small, handy device. Kudos to you! smile

But there remains one problem: The D/A-Monitoring section doesn't satisfy me the way it was supposed to be.
To get in detail: First, I do listen to music on quite low volume levels; second, I do that with rather low-impedance headphones (40-70 Ohms) as well as with 'phones of ~250-300 Ohms.
This means that the effectively used range of the volume attenuator is between start and 08:30, maybe 09:00 position (even with the higher-impedance headphones).
My first question: Is there any way to lower the amplification? It's simply too loud for me (Note: I found the (indeed very helpful) manual but didn't think I oversaw this point, did I?).

My second question concerns the attenuator itself - I happened to be a bit of disappointed because of the canal tolerances at low volume levels. Left and right become equal not until short before the 08:00 position which reduces the range of listeningvolume further for me.
Therefore I'd like to ask if there's a way of installing another, maybe "better", attenuator?

I know that the ADI-2 is a "professional product", not intentionally made for home-users like me, I s'ppose. Nevertheless it'd be quite a good thing if these 2 "problems" I have with the device could be sorted out without me buying an additional headphone-amplifier out of the same price-range. smile

I shall thank you for your time and effort,

Regards,
Christian

[i]"the hills are alive... with the sound of music..."[/i] <- dear god, [b]please[/b] make it stop.

Re: Questions about RME ADI-2 D/A-Monitorcontrol

That is the first time someone complains about our headphone outputs being too loud. :-)

Seriously, the only thing we can do here is to modifiy internal resistors to reduce the overall volume of the headphone output. That requires soldering. We can do this for a reasonable price. You would have to send the unit in to the manufacturer in Germany.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Dear Mr. Carstens,

thank you very much for your answer and kind offering. smile
(Oh, and besides, please excuse the time delay of my response.)

I would like to ask some questions about the modification in advance, if I may?
As you mentioned to modify the internal resistors to reduce volume - will this affect the source resistance of the output (maybe by connecting a higher resistor in series to the output) or did you mean a change of the amplification factor through modifying the resistance ratio?
I don't mean to give you a hard time by asking but I'm somewhat sensitive when it comes to the sound colouring effects of high source resistance. hmm

Thanks to you in advance,

regards,
Christian

[i]"the hills are alive... with the sound of music..."[/i] <- dear god, [b]please[/b] make it stop.

The resistors are changed around the vol pot, not the output stage, so sound will not change.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ah, very good. Thank you very much for your statement!

Well, then I would like to send in my ADI-2 to RME Germany!
To whom may I write an e-mail to for further details of the transaction? I wouldn't want to occupy your time any longer, Mr. Carstens.

Done.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME