Topic: Integrating HDSPe MADI and HDSPe AIO

(or HDSP 9632 until the former arrives).

This is a cross border question but I'll put it here.

I am setting up our DAW for recording and handling live  broadcast audio in our new recital hall.  There is an existing system using MADI distribution with which we are required to interface. We also need to use either independently or together local sources not handled by the MADI system.   The MADI can be handled by an HDSPe MADI card.  We need another card to handle additional analog and digital input formats, either independently or simultaneously.   The cards obviously need to be synchronised, and being RME cards, I assume that this can be achieved by a cable between the two cards.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

However, as the new HDSPe AIO card is not available, then the older HDSP 9632 needs to be used.  The following issues arise:

- it is assumed that the recording application may be able to handle both sources, but for the moment most programs require you to choose either one device or the other as the Audio Device; so you can't record from both simultaneously;  or can you?

- it is assumed that each device will have its own control panel; Digicheck 5 can handles multiple devices; but will there be one or two instances of TotalMix?   If so, how can we integrate both MADI and non MADI channel mix control.  Is it possible to transport a mix from the MADI instance of TotalMix to the non-MADI instance?

I won't even go into the issue of using a Control surface to manage one or both TotalMix instances.  I just need an in-the-box solution that allows me to integrate MADI and non-MADI sources and destinations.

Oh, and I need this now!   (Steve, where are you?)  Anybody done anything like this? Any comments gratefully received.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Re: Integrating HDSPe MADI and HDSPe AIO

- You can mix different HDSP(e) cards in the same system. They will use the same unified driver, so you can record from both cards in your ASIO software.

- All HDSP cards need to be synced to the same clock source via external connections. HDSPe cards can be synced together with an internal cable.

- Every card brings their own independent TotalMix, so you?ll have two instances in the system. Routing signals from one card to another is possible via external connections or inside the DAW software

In my opinion the best way to integrate MADI and non-MADI sources in the same system is one or more external ADI boxes with the required I/O types inserted into the MADI chain. Which I/Os should be integrated into the system? ADAT, analog, AES/EBU? Maybe I can help you finding the right device for your needs.

Btw.: The AIO will be available in the next week.

best regards
Knut

Given the uncertainty regarding the arrival of the AIO (it may be due out of the factory this week, but when will it be available in Australia?) and thus being unable to check configuration till then, maybe we should consider reverting to the PCI versions - HDSP MADI and HDSP 9632 - providing we can find a modern mobo with 2 PCI slots spare.

I assume the two versions are functionally equivalent, missing only the improved analog performance of the AIO?  And I assume the two cards can be configured to meet our requirement for synchronised operation MADI-analog?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

I would wait. The newer HDSPe cards have serious improvements:

- syncing by an internal cable (as described in the manual. This feature is not available for HDSP series cards).

- AIO: additional DAC for phones means separated playback. SPDIF and AES are separated as well for full functionality.

For availability in Australia contact our local distributor. If they know you urgently wait for one they will double their efforts to get one, I am sure.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME