Topic: importing multichannel interleaved to split not recorded in DC

I did several recordings of multichannel (20) interleaved in Plogue Bidule (MAC OS X) and in Boom Recorder (MAC OS X), just because XP and DC5 had not been at hand. Now importing those files into DC5 to split them up into seperate mono files won't work, no matter what: on load DC5 says "This it not a wave file." To see that over and over again reminds me badly of PIL's "This is not a love song" ;-)

First question is, is there any way to check what is wrong with those files, they play back fine in Bidule and Boom Recorder, but those don't have a way to split files? And the other way round those applications do accept DC5 recorded files without a hazzle, which lets me assume the DC5 recordings are more strictly sticking to the standards.

Second question is, are there any restrictions regarding the file formats read by DC5, or is it more likely those files are using any non standard data in their headers? Accordingly, is there any way to have them dump imported into DC5 or any tool known to adjust wave file headers on multichannel interleaved files, if that is what makes DC5 say "No"?

Last and more important question is, I know Ardour is one of the few DAWs around to split more then 10 channel interleaved, but isn't there a way to let as well DC5 be more tolerant with the formats, just on import?

Best Regards
Boris

Re: importing multichannel interleaved to split not recorded in DC

We only support wave at this time. I am pretty sure that your programs use a different format, as wave has several official limitations (file size/record length), and it should not be so hard to find out what format that is (manual/online help...). You might also look into the header with a simple editor.

Please don't expect us to invest time to support things that are not our problem (this is most certainly really bad english, I just don't find a better phrase right now).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You might want to give De-Interleaver a try...

http://scottwilson.ca/site/Software.html

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

4 (edited by bvogeler 2009-03-22 00:47:12)

Hello Matthias,

no, since I have lots of respect for RME's approach towards technical challenges - and our work indeed does benefit a lot from the way you decide on decent hardware and programming first of all - I wouldn't expect you to invest time in such things. I was just looking for a hint. Bidule's and BoomRecorder's manuals didn't really give any insight on how these things are handled within their applications.
And never mind your english, mine is almost entirely lend from early experiences with Mr. Zimermann's poetry, just mocked up a little with brain waves ;-)

And, Frank, thank you very much, I'll give De-Interleaver a try tomorrow. Hmm, and Birmingham must be some pretty good place for BEASTs - impressing.

If something of any interest will show up, I'll report.

Best Regards
Boris

5 (edited by minimalB 2009-03-24 00:47:12)

I've got similar problem.

Just got 10gb long stereo wav files. They should be in W64 format, but they are not. In every program I open them I am able to get/hear fist two hours of material...

BUT

Digicheck is the only program, that can play beyond the limit. Although I reach the 2 hour limit, digicheck continues to play the wav file.

Now the question is - Is there a way to convert that to w64, somehow split them in smaller files or something?

Because ... if I save them again with digicheck... I am again able to get/hear just first two hours...

If you have any idea, or know any other program that could do the trick, please help me.

Regards,

b.

https://granurise.com

Samplitude and WaveLab can both do it, see this forum.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

I tried to open it with walelab's "Import Special File" before coming to this forum with no luck. Corrupted or noise...

Thanks for Samplitude tip. I'll give it a try.

Now if we ignore my problem:
It would be great if future digicheck version would have an option to cut/split files to certain size, for example 1gb or 2gb files...

Regards,

b.

Just for info.

Samplitude (import with dump option) = no luck
Wavelab (import special audio) = no luck
Audacity (import raw audio) = no luck

I got some sound, but with crackles and other disturbing noises...

The only solution (for me) was DigiCheck playing back my 10gb file and recording (loopback) in realtime to Nuendo (w64 setting in project settings window).
That worked perfectly, without a glitch...

I hope RME will listen for wav splitting option (feature request). It would make a great tool even greater!

Regards,

b.