Topic: New RME products: M Series

03/23/2009 RME launches new analog multichannel MADI and ADAT converter series at Frankfurt Musikmesse 2009.

RME's comprehensive MADI line is now extended by hi-class multichannel converters with 16 and 32 channels. The M-series converters have been conceived and optimized for professional studio, stage, and broadcast applications.

Packed into only 2U height the M-32 AD offers a 32-channel AD-conversion to MADI and ADAT in reference quality. The fully symmetrical analog circuit design guarantees excellent S/N and THD specs across a wide analog level range. Using up-to-date converter technology, the device not only works up to 192 kHz, but also reaches a real-world signal-to-noise ratio of 116 dBA - on all channels. Further features are analog limiters for an efficient protection of the analog in outs against overload, three hardware reference levels up to +24 dBu, MADI and ADAT I/O, analog inputs via 6.3mm TRS and D-sub connectors, remote control via MIDI and MIDI over MADI, and operation across a wide range of mains voltages.

Nearly identical features are found in the M-32 DA, which offers a 32-channel high-end DA conversion. It is easy to operate despite having a comprehensive feature set. The unit combines excellent analog circuit design with the latest converter chips and RME's superior SteadyClock into a state-of-the-art DA conversion, with outstanding THD and S/N specs of up to 118 dBA.

Both converters are also available as 16-channel versions. Except for the reduced channel count M-16 AD and M-16 DA are identical to their bigger brothers.

The converters of the M-series are expected to be available in May 2009.

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/overview_m32ad.jpg
M-32 DA

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/overview_m32da.jpg
M-32 AD

Re: New RME products: M Series

M-16 AD
just fantastic to convert analog audio into MADI digital streaming in one go :-):-):-)
make it for 8 channels / up to 192 kHz next step...

I DO appreciate the overall symetrical design of the analogue path stages, meaning that positive and negative part of the incoming signal are routed and converted into digital with full separate hardware, please confirm
That said, I do not see the issue with "servo balanced" I/O's as they are supposed to be embedded with full symetry output drivers included...do I confuse?
again, an ever happy RME user and fan!

HDSP9632, HDSP9652, ADI-8QS, FFUC, Quadmic II

make it for 8 channels / up to 192 kHz next step...

ADI-8 QS

best regards
Knut

I already apply one 8-QS at home with love cool Knut
but it does not provide full symmetrical path from TRS jacks to AD/DA converters, otherwise it would not be just EXCELLENT and audiophile rated lol, but even more emotional

the gear I am looking about for the future is only AD conversion and digital link to a remotely installed digital station, hence allowing me various placement for control during location recording instances
and only 8 channels as I am focusing as a purist into simplified mics array setup

so my good future portable chain would be:
mics...> neutral preamps located closely...> M-16(8) AD ...........optical.........BNC cable*.........> MADI single or dual channel receiver
some kind of [ PC workstation with full RME embedded workbench features, Totalmix, Digicheck...]

I have a dream...

All the best :-)

* another question though
Is MADI multiplexer carrying an embedded self clocking such as ADAT, better than ADAT, better than the dedicated wordclock channel ?
my preferred SR (for an excellent capturing of the sound  decaying to the room background noise) would be 96 KHz

Hi,

Schubertriad wrote:

I DO appreciate the overall symetrical design of the analogue path stages, meaning that positive and negative part of the incoming signal are routed and converted into digital with full separate hardware, please confirm

I think you misunderstand... There is no such thing as separate conversion for positive and negative...

The conversion quality of the ADI-8QS is definitely comparable to the new M series converters.

Schubertriad wrote:

so my good future portable chain would be:
mics...> neutral preamps located closely...> M-16(8) AD ...........optical.........BNC cable*.........> MADI single or dual channel receiver
some kind of [ PC workstation with full RME embedded workbench features, Totalmix, Digicheck...]
I have a dream...

Not a dream at all, you can already do that with one or two Micstasy preamps/converters...

Is MADI multiplexer carrying an embedded self clocking such as ADAT, better than ADAT, better than the dedicated wordclock channel?

There is a clock signal, but not better than others.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by Schubertriad 2009-03-24 19:52:54)

just missed it roll
thanks to enlight me the micstasy :-)
and the cherry on the cake, remotely controlled by MIDI data encoded into MADI streaming.....what else?
maybe a coffee, then
easy life with RME, again cool

all the best

RME Support wrote:

Hi,

Schubertriad wrote:

I think you misunderstand... There is no such thing as separate conversion for positive and negative...

Of course not, but I think he understands and just used the wrong words to describe the situation. With a balanced inpout signal, the + and - signal (which both fully include the + and - part of the signal) are fed through to the + and - input pins of the ADC. As always in a balanced situation the whole signal is everywhere, just inverted by 180? on the - pin.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

These look great, 32 channels in 2U, how cool is that? wink Exactly what i need right now. Is there already a suggested retail price in germany?

Is there already a suggested retail price in germany?

Not yet, but we will keep you posted here when the list price is available.

best regards
Knut

very interested by this :-)
the M-16 DA allowed me to have 24 analog in with my FF800, right ?
regards
sofa

No. The M-16 AD would do so.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Here is a video showing the M-Series converters: RME Youtube channel

best regards
Knut

yes i wanted to say M-16 AD of course :-)
thanx regards
philit

Hi,
does anyone know why the M-series Converters aren't provided with some sort of slot to accomodate various kinds of optional I/O interfaces (ie: AES/EBU, Firewire and ProTools)?
Forget about the XLRs but please get rid of that ol' ADAT I/O crap! Who needs it?
I'm planning to buy 2 Micstasy and 1 M-32 DA, can you tell me how do I connect them to my PT?
Best regards,
1959 jazz.

1959 jazz wrote:

Hi,
does anyone know why the M-series Converters aren't provided with some sort of slot to accomodate various kinds of optional I/O interfaces (ie: AES/EBU, Firewire and ProTools)?
Forget about the XLRs but please get rid of that ol' ADAT I/O crap! Who needs it?
I'm planning to buy 2 Micstasy and 1 M-32 DA, can you tell me how do I connect them to my PT?
Best regards,
1959 jazz.

Hey there,

Protools being a proprietary system, I'm pretty sure the only way to connect RME gear to protools is via adat, spdif or analogue. They will work as stand alone converters. How much you can connect depends on what protools interface you have.

Isaac.

Hi,
i 've just seen the price on the net for the M-16AD :2990 euros and the 32AD :3990 euros
is that correct ?
philit

Hey guys Solid State Logic has a single rackspace unit which converts from madi to PTHD.  One unit supports 64 channels which emulates 4 digi192 boxes (at 48kHz).  I think it's called the deltalink or something.

Peace

1959 jazz wrote:

Hi,
Best regards,
1959 jazz.

I think SSL have some MADI/PT converters. Don't know much about them.
http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/ … /index.asp

Using RME MADI products with the RME HDSPe rocks, though....

Right, the SSL box is basically passive.  No options, no, buttons.  Just a power switch, status lights and madi and HD connectors.  Maybe a WC jack somewhere in there.  Now I don't know about passing remote signals or midi, as these are not at all part of the madi spec.  It actually kind of bugs me how RME implements "extensions" to AES specifications.  Are you guys aware that even sending 64 streams down madi is beyond the original AES spec?  I'm glad RME pushes the envelope, but it can become a compatibility concern in certain cases.

Are you guys aware that even sending 64 streams down madi is beyond the original AES spec?

The AES changed the standard 2001: MADI Standard 2 without Varispeed, 64 channels, 24  Bit / 48 kHz.

best regards
Knut

21 (edited by bmdaugherty 2009-05-26 07:44:15)

Glad to know.  Thanks.  Your products work great, my pet peeve is compatibility. (my problem, not yours)  Not that your products have been incompatible, it's just my principals I guess...