Topic: High Frequency Loss in one channel....

I've written to Matthias about this a couple of times and he has had no ideas (yet). I'm sure we'll figure it out some time.

This is the third time that this problem has occurred and it is worrisome because the engineer does not always notice it since it is occurring in one channel. It happened again yesterday and I set out to document it as carefully as possible. We'll get to the symptom in a moment:

I have FOUR MADI to AES interfaces (ADI-642). They're all configured for AUTO delay compensation and AUTO input/output assignment. The computer is a MacPro running Bootcamp and Windows XP Pro.

I've only confirmed the problem in the first interface, I do not know if the rest of the interfaces have the problem when it occurs. This is the interface that says "AUTO01". This one I use primarily for monitoring and I can feed any of the four AES outputs to a stereo DAC via a Z-Systems AES router. The sample rate is 96 kHz and all the interfaces are locked to a 96 kHz wordclock. Frame is 48K, 64 channel format. The ADI-642's are configured so that they automatically go to double sample rate when they detect a 96 kHz wordclock. I did NOT test the other three interfaces when this problem happened.

The high frequency loss problem that occured Wednesday happened AFTER I shut down the computer and then turned it back on, without powering the interfaces down. In other words, the interfaces stayed powered on and continued to receive 96 kHz wordclock from my A/D converter even though the computer was shut off.
The first 8 MADI outputs are assigned to the first box's four AES outputs. I use a pink noise signal for the test so the conclusion is unambiguous.

AES Output 1&2, output #2 has high frequency loss. (all these are severe losses, I did not measure it. Next time it happens I'll measure the loss).
AES Output 3&4, output #4 has high frequency loss.
AES Output 5&6, output #6 has high frequency loss.
AES Output 7&8 is fine (no loss). Interesting, eh?

Rerouting or exchanging DAW (software) channels via Totalmix shows that Totalmix is not the cause but isolates the problem either to MADI output channels 2, 4, 6 OR to the even numbered channels of the first interface.

I tried all kinds of resetting in the first interface, changing from ADC on to ADC off, 64 Channel to 56, 48 frame, etc. etc. etc., and the problem remained. Then I power cycled the first interface only and the problem remained. Then I turned off the power for all four interfaces and turned them on sequentially, waiting for the first interface to settle down, then powered on the second, and so on. Then the problem went away.

This implies that the first interface is improperly synchronized and is confusing the rest of the interfaces as well. Some MADI synchronization problem in the bitstream happened which confused or partially locked up one or more of the interfaces. And since I had to power down ALL FOUR interfaces to fix the problem, it's probably not caused by one interface per se, but by the powering up of the computer confusing the interfaces. It looks like every time I power up my computer I should first power down the interfaces....  However, this problem has occurred in the past without power cycling the computer.

I hope this helps you come up with ideas. Thanks,

Bob
--

Bob Katz 407-831-0233 DIGITAL DOMAIN | "There are two kinds of fools,
Recording, Mastering, Manufacturing  | One says-this is old and therefore good.
Informative **CD MASTERING WEBSITE** | The other says-this is new and therefore
http://www.digido.com                | better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Re: High Frequency Loss in one channel....

Bob,

there are a few points I'd like you to clarify.

What kind of DA converter is involved here? Have you tried another converter?
Besides measuring the differency, have you tried to record the outgoing AES/EBU signal, e.g. to another computer or a DAT or whatever and to play it back elsewhere or analyze the recorded wav in software?

I wouldn't expect the high frequency loss to be present in the actual AES/EBU signal, and this test could show it. In this case, the loss would appear to occur at the DA converter. Does the phenomenon sound anything like a de-emphasis? No idea why this would occur on one channel only, but that's the only explanation I could think of at the moment.

Kind regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I would also strongly recommend to make a recording of the suspicious signals and to have a look at the waveform.

In the past I experienced a similar phenomenon with a ADAT connection at 96K. The waveform of only one of several channels looked bizarre when zoomed in, and the spectrum analyzer showed many frequencies in the non-audible range. It turned out that all samples had been swapped in pairs somewhere between the AD and my digiface (maybe an old driver was involved, too). This leads to mirror frequencies, very crazy...

Maybe in Bob's case some samples are screwed up in a similar way, surely it's worth examining the waveforms.

Regards,
Ulrich

4 (edited by bobkatz 2009-04-25 01:22:37)

RME Support wrote:

Bob,

there are a few points I'd like you to clarify.

What kind of DA converter is involved here? Have you tried another converter?
Besides measuring the differency, have you tried to record the outgoing AES/EBU signal, e.g. to another computer or a DAT or whatever and to play it back elsewhere or analyze the recorded wav in software?

I wouldn't expect the high frequency loss to be present in the actual AES/EBU signal, and this test could show it. In this case, the loss would appear to occur at the DA converter. Does the phenomenon sound anything like a de-emphasis? No idea why this would occur on one channel only, but that's the only explanation I could think of at the moment.

Kind regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Dear Daniel: Thanks for responding. The DAC is the one built into the Avocet monitor controller. However, the test clearly indicates that the DAC can be eliminated from the equation, because...

...using Totalmix to assign the DAW output to MADI/AES output 7&8 and then routing AES out 7&8 to the same DAC input yields good sound (the problem goes away)... therefore, NOT a problem with the DAC. Even if it's an emphasis bit that's mis-set, that's still NOT a problem with the DAC.

---The amount of high frequency loss is far more severe than a typical de-emphasis so I doubt it is emphasis. I suspect a mis-aligned bitstream is causing some delay-based comb-filter-style high frequency loss. The next time this happens, I can look at the MADI stream with a scope if it will help.

The next time this problem occurs I'll record a pink noise signal into another DAW and measure the response with an FFT analyzer, so as to confirm it is actually the signal which is changing and the amount of high frequency loss.

Crossing fingers,

Bob

Bob,

I fully support the idea to record the faulty signal including a simple testsignal like a 1 kHz sine. At this time everything seems to point in this direction, especially as MADI 96 kHz with 48k Frame is using S/MUX to realize that sample rate. Looking at the waveform then will quickly not only reveal if it is a byte swapping/corruption problem, but also will give us an idea what kind of error may be causing this, as the wrong bitstream is like a fingerprint of the fault.

I also would like to repeat something I mentioned before: it would be helpful to check the current channel status of the faulty output. Simply feed it into an AES card and fire up DIGICheck, or use your own analyzer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well, I'll have to wait until the problem comes up again and then I'll do some more thorough tests.
Do you suggest I change to 96k frame to see if the problem goes away?

No. As the problem does not show up often or reproducible this might just give a wrong impression.

As for channel status bits, is it possible to have emphasis bit set on only one channel of a pair?

Sure.

I don't even know if I can measure emphasis bit on one channel with my SADiE.

I don't know too, sorry.

It happened again today and the problem is not emphasis. Although I did not measure the emphasis bit, I know it is not emphasis because the problem can be recorded and then played back on a DAW (SADiE) that does not employ the emphasis bit. And because Sequoia ignores the emphasis bit when it records audio data.

As requested, when I heard the problem today, I did some further tests. Since there is no way to upload files to your forum, please go to

ftp.digido.com
your   name is  rmedebug   
your pw is rmedebug   

And download the files which are there. 73 MB worth.

Here's what I did: Everything is at 96 kHz. When I heard the problem (HF loss on the right channel). I took a -14 dBFS stereo, uncorrelated, pink noise file and first bounced it at high speed to another track in Sequoia (thereby NOT going through the MADI interface) as a control. This is file #01. Then I patched my Z Sys router so that AES output 1&2 of Sequoia was directly patched to AES input 1&2 and I bounced the pink noise source in real time. This is file #02. It clearly shows a HF loss in the right channel. I then dubbed the AES out of Sequoia into SADiE, real time, this is file #03. It also clearly shows an HF loss in the right channel. (SADiE is on another computer)

Then I attempted to fix the problem by power cycling all four MADI interfaces, turning them back on sequentially, waiting until the first settles down before powering on the next. This time the power cycling DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. So I turned off interfaces 2 through 4 and power cycled interface #1 only. Now interface #1 is the only one on, and therefore the MADI loop is not complete (the Hammerfall control panel shows that nothing is connected to its MADI input). Perhaps it is a coincidence, but now the first interface is behaving properly. Then I turned on the other three interfaces and the signal continues to be good.

Then I captured this signal into SADiE, which is file #4, which is now a good file.

Then I measured the right channel spectrum using RME Digicheck's spectral analyzer, of the good signal and the bad one. We can see some classic delay-based comb filtering going on, including a disturbing rise at 40 kHz.

Could it be the Automatic Delay compensation?  Could it be because I'm distributing word clock via a BNC T to all four MADI interfaces instead of daisy-chaining it the way RME recommends?

I hope this helps,

Bob

The ftp link doesn't work for me after entering the pw.

Regards,
Ulrich

Ulrich wrote:

The ftp link doesn't work for me after entering the pw.

Regards,
Ulrich

Thanks for trying, Ulrich. I just checked an FTP client and it is working for me.  But in addition to an FTP client, here are two other methods you can use to get on:

Using a Browser, go to http://www.digido.com/ftp.html

Use the down arrows to download the files. I just checked this and it works.

-----
OR, via WEBDAV:

PC:
1. On the desktop, double-click My Network Places.
2. In the "Network Tasks" pane, click Add a network place.
3. On the welcome screen, click Next.
4. Select Choose another network location, and then click Next.
5. In the "Internet or network address:" field, enter http://ftp.digido.com:9001

same name and password

Mac:
1. In the Finder, go to ?Go? -> ?Connect to Server? (Apple + K).
2. In the "Server Address?, type http://ftp.digido.com:9001 and hit connect!

same name and password

This will mount the volume locally on your computer and you will be able to drag and drop your files, like any other external hard drive!

I hope that one of these two does the trick.

Bob

Thanks, now it works perfectly.

I examined #2.

When regarding the spectrum analyzer for me it's not a high frequency loss in the right channel but a kind of dip at 6KHz and a rise at the very right end of the frequency range.

When zooming in the waveform at sample level the right one looks much more "jagged". It really reminds me to my experience mentioned above. It's a little bit a pity you didn't record a sine wave, because in this case we would have been able to see pretty well what happened to the order of the samples. But maybe this is already good enough for Matthias.

Regards,
Ulrich

Ulrich wrote:

Thanks, now it works perfectly.

I examined #2.

When regarding the spectrum analyzer for me it's not a high frequency loss in the right channel but a kind of dip at 6KHz and a rise at the very right end of the frequency range.

When zooming in the waveform at sample level the right one looks much more "jagged". It really reminds me to my experience mentioned above. It's a little bit a pity you didn't record a sine wave, because in this case we would have been able to see pretty well what happened to the order of the samples. But maybe this is already good enough for Matthias.

Regards,
Ulrich

Gosh I hope so. I forgot to record a sine wave! But the big dip at 6 kHz (which sounds like a HF loss) accompanied by a big peak at 40 kHz should give a clue as to what must be going on, I hope.

Oh, Ulrich, do you work all night?!!!!!

12 (edited by bmdaugherty 2009-05-02 06:33:15)

I think he's on another continent!  Your night is his day... sort of.

bmdaugherty wrote:

I think he's on another continent!  Your night is his day... sort of.

I suspected such. But I received a reply from him that must have been midnight his time...

Anyway, a small correction to my first post. I talked about the first MADI box as the one that says "AUTO01". Actually, the first box says "AUTO". The rest of the boxes increment 02, 03, 04.

BK

Any thoughts on this, MC? Are we going to wait until it happens again and then I'll send you a sine wave result?

Bob

I guess my daft guessing here is ruled out a long time ago:
- firmware of the ADI-642 boxes.
- Fiber MADI cable vs. coax MADI cable
- firmware/driver for HDSP/HDSPe card(s)

I had a similar problem (not exact same) for a big studio client once. There problem there was a fairly long run of coax MADI in a electrical noisy environment. A change to fiber cable solved it all. The problem was worse though. Got static noise bursts one one MADI channel.

Best wishes,
P?l Svennevig

Bob,

sorry for the delay. I hear the phenomenon, but I would assume it's difficult to analyze from these files (even though the dip around 5k or so is strange...). A sine wave test 1 kHz would be helpful.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Bob,

sorry for the delay. I hear the phenomenon, but I would assume it's difficult to analyze from these files (even though the dip around 5k or so is strange...). A sine wave test 1 kHz would be helpful.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

OK, Daniel. Did Matthias also look at it and weigh in with his opinion?  Anyway, next time it happens I hope I catch it before a problem occurs and I'll send you a 1 kHz sine wave. Is there any special test signal that Matthias would like to generate that would be more definitive?

BK

Bob,

since the dip seems to occur in the 5k range, a sine may be of limited value. No harm trying it though. I would assume that an added sawtooth and 20-20k sine sweep could also be helpful. But maybe Matthias has a better idea. Not sure if he's heard it, I must admit.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel,

I think it's not really about a frequency dip (we don't expect any additional DSP processing being involved here, do we...?) but about the suspicion that the samples are screwed up concerning their order. This could be made visible with a sine wave, but with all other smooth waveforms as well. Only the waveform of noise is difficult to judge here, unfortunately...

Regards,
Ulrich

Ulrich wrote:

I think it's not really about a frequency dip (we don't expect any additional DSP processing being involved here, do we...?) but about the suspicion that the samples are screwed up concerning their order. This could be made visible with a sine wave, but with all other smooth waveforms as well. Only the waveform of noise is difficult to judge here, unfortunately...

Yes, but the noise signal has anaudible and visible dip in the 5k vicinity... Not sure whether whatever causes this will affect a 1k sine.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
Ulrich wrote:

Yes, but the noise signal has anaudible and visible dip in the 5k vicinity... Not sure whether whatever causes this will affect a 1k sine.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Right. Some kind of a multitone test signal?  I'd really like to have MC weigh in here so that we can nail this problem by using a definitive test signal the next time it may occur.  The symptom is frequency response and I think the only possible cause is sample slippage, delay and mixing. PLUS, since it occurs in one channel only, it seems that by using a special test signal, we can measure the delay between the altered and unaltered channels and possible come closer to the cause. I'm also willing to put an oscilloscope on the MADI signal if it will prove useful.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi,

What about the test tones from the old RME / Archives web site !?
http://www.rme-audio.de/old/english/dow … udtest.htm

regards S-EH

S-E Hansson wrote:

Hi,

What about the test tones from the old RME / Archives web site !?
http://www.rme-audio.de/old/english/dow … udtest.htm

regards S-EH

One of them might be good. I'd like to hear Matthias put the seal of approval on which one he wants to see, as I'd like to get this right next time. The problem doesn't occur but once in a blue moon (thank goodness).

Bob

OK. I had a blue screen crash this morning, so turned off the Sequoia computer and then turned it on WITHOUT powering down the external MADI interfaces. The bug came back... it's very predictable now, it's related to the computer powering off.

This time I recorded two test files and you can DEFINITELY see the offset issues in the waveform. These are up on my FTP described in this thread. Both files are stereo (really dual mono) at 96 kHz sampling. Routing AES 1/2 out directly to AES 1/2 in and capturing into a new track in Sequoia. Both channels should be identical in level and phase but as you will see by examining the waveform, they are not. The left channel shows a clean sine wave, the right channel shows that things are all mixed up! File #05 is a 1 kHz -14 dBFS sine wave. File #06 is a tone burst sequence called the "gonger" that I use for testing purposes. It consists of a sine wave ramped up from negative infinity to full level.

I found I COULD NOT GET RID OF THE PROBLEM BY POWER CYLCLING THE INTERFACES ON AND OFF!  To fix the problem I had to turn interface #1 from ADC on to ADC off, then it fixed the problem.

I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS!

BK

Ok, so when you get the blue screen of death, do the cards still work?  I have a cd transport connected to a digital input which I route to my monitors via totalmix.  The RME cards have a safe-state, so even if the computer itself it booting, crashing or whatever, the cards just hum along.  I can restart my computer with nothing more than a little click in my otherwise uninterrupted listening.  The reason I mention this is that perhaps this can be avoided by powering the converters down first.  Even if it is a crash, the cards should still afford you the ability to power down the converters before losing the madi stream or WC.

I use Euphonix converters, and the manual is very clear about the power-on sequence and stresses to only power on the units once a valid clock and madi stream have been established.  I suspect (my amateur theory) that it is something to do with the madi stream disappearing and reappearing in not the most graceful of fashions.  This is why I would always just power down the converters first and then turn off the computer, then reboot and then turn on the converters one at a time in order.  I would guess that since madi is basically 56 (or 64) aes streams stacked on top of one another that the "destacking" across multiple converters is causing the stream to be shifted.  If you always turn the converter(s) on after a solid madi stream has been established, I think your woes may disappear.  Just a theory...

bmdaugherty wrote:

Ok, so when you get the blue screen of death, do the cards still work?  I have a cd transport connected to a digital input which I route to my monitors via totalmix.  The RME cards have a safe-state, so even if the computer itself it booting, crashing or whatever, the cards just hum along.  I can restart my computer with nothing more than a little click in my otherwise uninterrupted listening.  The reason I mention this is that perhaps this can be avoided by powering the converters down first.  Even if it is a crash, the cards should still afford you the ability to power down the converters before losing the madi stream or WC.

I use Euphonix converters, and the manual is very clear about the power-on sequence and stresses to only power on the units once a valid clock and madi stream have been established.  I suspect (my amateur theory) that it is something to do with the madi stream disappearing and reappearing in not the most graceful of fashions.  This is why I would always just power down the converters first and then turn off the computer, then reboot and then turn on the converters one at a time in order.  I would guess that since madi is basically 56 (or 64) aes streams stacked on top of one another that the "destacking" across multiple converters is causing the stream to be shifted.  If you always turn the converter(s) on after a solid madi stream has been established, I think your woes may disappear.  Just a theory...

Thanks, for the letter. When the BSOD is on screen, it's pretty irrelevant if the cards work because the interface that's producing the bug is the one that plays back the information from the computer :-).

I'm using the word "peripheral" or "interface" below to refer to the ADI rack-mount MADI to AES converters....

It seems that performing some kind of sequence if the computer has been restarted is a good idea, but it is a pain to have to deal with. I'd like Matthias to weigh on on this, surmise the cause, and also see if a firmware upgrade can help to prevent this issue. Plus, the fact that you have to switch ADC on and off on the first interface and powering it on and off does not fix the issue indicates some complex interaction between the MADI stream and the interface. Suddenly it's not just "power cycling" but some other voodoo.

We surmise that powering the computer off and then on creates a new MADI stream that hangs up the interface because it's probably still synced to the old preamble. I don't know if it is possible, but perhaps upon power up the PCI card could send some kind of a reset signal to the peripherals in case they were already on??? I also want to know why toggling ADC on/off fixes the problem yet power cycling does not. Does cycling ADC force the peripheral to resync to the MADI stream?  You'd think that power cycling the peripheral would also force it to resync to the MADI stream. If so, then why does the bug continue?

BK

In the right channel every second sample is 8 samples too early. You agree?

Regards,
Ulrich

Downloading...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

29 (edited by bmdaugherty 2009-05-22 18:40:13)

bobkatz wrote:

Thanks, for the letter. When the BSOD is on screen, it's pretty irrelevant if the cards work because the interface that's producing the bug is the one that plays back the information from the computer :-).

Thats the thing, I'm using totalmix to route a signal in from a cd transport via a digital input on my madi converter.  I route it through to output 1/2, which is my main output to my speakers.  In the event of a crash or reboot, the card continues to function.  The audio still passes even when the boot process is scrolling across the screen.  My thought is that even in the event of a crash, the converters see a valid sync, giving you enough time to shut them down without them encountering the invalid stream associated with a hard reboot.  Then you can safely turn the converters back on almost instantly upon powering up the computer.

Compared to you, I know very little about digital audio, but I'm trying to brainstorm... 

What happens if you cycle the word clock, or just switch clock source to madi and then back?  Does the issue resolve?  Maybe it's something with the external clock being 96k, and the madi being 48k frame with delay compensated converter stacking.  Maybe there is enough jitter (or hardware issue) somewhere to push some of the bits up a sample.  (hopefully you can derive a knowledgeable, technical theory from that...)

I just enjoy troubleshooting I guess.

Ulrich wrote:

In the right channel every second sample is 8 samples too early. You agree?

Regards,
Ulrich

I didn't examine it that carefully. I just saw a very blotchy looking "sine wave" on the right channel, so definitely the sample order is getting mixed up.

BK

bmdaugherty wrote:
bobkatz wrote:

Thats the thing, I'm using totalmix to route a signal in from a cd transport via a digital input on my madi converter.  I route it through to output 1/2, which is my main output to my speakers.  In the event of a crash or reboot, the card continues to function.  The audio still passes even when the boot process is scrolling across the screen.  My thought is that even in the event of a crash, the converters see a valid sync, giving you enough time to shut them down without them encountering the invalid stream associated with a hard reboot.  Then you can safely turn the converters back on almost instantly upon powering up the computer.

Compared to you, I know very little about digital audio, but I'm trying to brainstorm... 

What happens if you cycle the word clock, or just switch clock source to madi and then back?  Does the issue resolve?  Maybe it's something with the external clock being 96k, and the madi being 48k frame with delay compensated converter stacking.  Maybe there is enough jitter (or hardware issue) somewhere to push some of the bits up a sample.  (hopefully you can derive a knowledgeable, technical theory from that...)

I just enjoy troubleshooting I guess.

Mr. Daugherty, I think you're doing very well with your brainstorming.  Well, if the computer gets shut down, then there is no longer any MADI stream. But if all you do is a restart, I think the MADI card stays alive, that's its intent.   I think it's the actual MADI stream that's being shook up, it's the most logical explanation for slipped samples on one channel only.

BK

Alright, how about this:

It would make sense that your first converter is actually being delayed the most because it has to wait to receive the madi from the other converters.  If this is true, it would then seem as though the right channel is only compensating based on the 48k frame and thus putting every other sample 8 samples early.  Have you tried a 96k frame with a fresh sequential power cycle?

bmdaugherty wrote:

Alright, how about this:

It would make sense that your first converter is actually being delayed the most because it has to wait to receive the madi from the other converters.  If this is true, it would then seem as though the right channel is only compensating based on the 48k frame and thus putting every other sample 8 samples early.  Have you tried a 96k frame with a fresh sequential power cycle?

Actually, the first converter (actually just an AES interface) is the first in line in the MADI to receive signal from the PCI card. I did want to try 96k frame, but the RME guys here want me to keep the situation constant until we can isolate the problem, since it is intermittent. Though I think I now know how to induce the problem (shut down the computer and turn it back on with the interfaces on... though that does not always cause the problem).

Guys, please be aware that I am using BNC T Connectors to distribute word clock to all four MADI interfaces (single termination at the end) because of my paranoia about jitter accumulation. I cannot see the functional difference, and it even seems to me that the T-connector eliminates the possibility that one interface is introducing some kind of delay issue into another. However, even that is a remote possibility since the issue is only on the right channel and I can't imagine how "word clock up" or "word clock down" would prejudice the interface into screwing up only one channel at a time. It would have to be very broken from the start.

bobkatz wrote:

Actually, the first converter (actually just an AES interface) is the first in line in the MADI to receive signal from the PCI card.

Right, so it gets delayed waiting for the rest of the converters to receive a signal.  The first unit is delayed to match the latency of the last unit. I'm pretty sure that this is how it has to work.

I don't get why it's only the right channel though.  Unless it's an actual hardware issue (or firmware) issue.  T connectors ftw.  I don't think this has anything to do with your setup.  Have you tried reordering the devices?  Making your problem box the LAST unit to receive signal?

bmdaugherty wrote:
bobkatz wrote:

Actually, the first converter (actually just an AES interface) is the first in line in the MADI to receive signal from the PCI card.

Right, so it gets delayed waiting for the rest of the converters to receive a signal.  The first unit is delayed to match the latency of the last unit. I'm pretty sure that this is how it has to work.

I don't get why it's only the right channel though.  Unless it's an actual hardware issue (or firmware) issue.  T connectors ftw.  I don't think this has anything to do with your setup.  Have you tried reordering the devices?  Making your problem box the LAST unit to receive signal?

Haven't tried any reordering though it would be a ROYAL pain in the ass because every cable is nicely lashed up inside my rack AND I would also have to manually reprogram each of the interfaces and take them off AUTO. I'd rather wait for a verdict and instructions from the RME crew than tortuously go through my own debugging.

BK

Bump...

Any word from RME on what might be going on and a possible solution?

Thanks,

Bob

37 (edited by bobkatz 2009-06-03 23:23:42)

bobkatz wrote:

Bump...

Any word from RME on what might be going on and a possible solution?

Thanks,

Bob

-

With no answer, today I had the problem (after a computer crash). Toggling ADC or power on the first converter did not fix the problem. I switched to 96K frame on the peripherals and the PCI card and that fixed the problem. I don't know if for good...

For some reason I had settled on 48K frame due to some other problem I can't remember right now! Are there any down sides to choosing 96K frame?  I can go down to single sample rates and the system will switch automatically anyway, right?
'
BK

Hey Mr. Katz, I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but on my system, which is set for 96k frame, the card will not switch sample rate ranges (1x, 2x, 4x)  on external clock switch.  It waits for a software application to demand a sample rate switch.  I'm not sure that 48k frame will change this behavior.  When I talked to rme about this they said that this was on purpose and that there was no way around it because the mixer has to be reconfigured.  This makes sense I suppose.  It is for this reason that I am not sure that we are talking about the same thing. 96k frame works great for me.

bmdaugherty wrote:

Hey Mr. Katz, I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but on my system, which is set for 96k frame, the card will not switch sample rate ranges (1x, 2x, 4x)  on external clock switch.  It waits for a software application to demand a sample rate switch.  I'm not sure that 48k frame will change this behavior.  When I talked to rme about this they said that this was on purpose and that there was no way around it because the mixer has to be reconfigured.  This makes sense I suppose.  It is for this reason that I am not sure that we are talking about the same thing. 96k frame works great for me.

Dear Mr. Daugherty:

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. Yes, no matter whether my system is set to external or internal clock, you have to hit PLAY in the DAW in order to switch sample rates on the card. It makes sense. Anyway, I'm glad that 96K frame works well for you, I'm hoping it will for me!
So far, so good.

BK

Well, I've had a few shutdowns and restarts and with the MADI-to-AES boxes set to 96 k frame and everything set to 96k frame the bug does not occur. I guess there is no harm in leaving everything set to 96K frame, is there? It can still do single sample rate...