Topic: LostASIO Buffer Error in Samplitude.

Hi Guys,

We install a HDSPe MADI/AES system to client recently.
It's a GigaByte mainboard w/4GB Memory.
When we install HDSPe AES card only, it runs well.(both old Sequoia 7 and Samplitude Pro 10)
When we install HDSpe AESa and MADI together.
The Samplitude Pro 10 shows a few random  lost ASIO Buffer error.
and there are some high-freq noise also being record
We record a few tracks only.
All the wordclock setting is correct.
We tried Windows SP2 and SP3.
We tried closing Multiple CUP support.
We tried to remove disk  raid or using  eSATA harddsik.
We tried change the buffersize from short to long.
We tried different AES Multicable.
Still Lost ASIO buffer errors.

So we try to install the same HDSPe AES card into another Dell computer.
With the same setting, it runs very well.(old Sequoia 7 and Samplitude Pro 10)

By the way, the lost buffer error also happened when we use MADI card.
But to be smiple, we use HDSPe ASIO only for testing.

Is there any solution for that.
Cause the client record Symphony Orchestra at the concert hall.
This noise really cause big problems.

RME Distributor
Taiwan

Re: LostASIO Buffer Error in Samplitude.

Hi Paul,
Exactly what Gigabyte motherboard model is it?

Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

3 (edited by PaulFang 2009-04-25 15:26:30)

It's Gigabyte Ga-ep45-ud3p

Anybody could help for this??

There are so many possibilities to set up a system improperly, it is nearly impossible to find a solution from such a distance...

Why 4GB? XP doesn't support this, and for recording and processing audio 2GB are more than enough. (Even more is perhaps needed when VSTi are involved)

Do you get errors also when you use only one MADI card?

Regards,
Ulrich

Thanx for your reply.

4GB is client's request.
Maybe for future Vista or Windows 7

Remove the MADI and use HDSPe AES only.
works fine.

PaulFang wrote:

Thanx for your reply.
4GB is client's request.

Hmm, but this does not lead to a solution. maybe we cannot exclude it causes trouble.

Remove the MADI and use HDSPe AES only.
works fine.

Yes, but my original question was: Does it work fine with MADI card installed as the only one?
And did you try to swap slots?

Regards,
Ulrich

HDSPe MADI Interface only...perfect

HDSPe AES only..perfect.

Swap Slots...no use, same problems

HDSPe MADI and AES together, but disable one card from Windows setting...perfect

Does that mean the driver for both HDSPe AES and MADI couldn't work together well??
That's the setting for orchestra Recording.
MADI for multichannel recording from Stage, AES for other studio applications.

No, it means that your PCI Express bus does not work as expected, or the 'wordclock setting' is not correct. Please tell us the settings in the settings dialog and how the cards are clocked from the external equipment.

And did you ever use this tool on that system?

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,
I just use the software to test, all the latency limited to 30-50ms, green bar, no yellow the green bar.
The master clock we've been choose is PrismSound ADA8XR or I've been use MADI converter, or even use Internal clock..
Clock is not a problem...

With a statement like that we can not help. How can we know how much you did right or wrong when we don't get ALL the infos? Example: You say 'or even use internal clock'. Does this relate to the MADI card set to internal? Or the AES? or both? And how does one card clock the other one? With both set to AutoSync - where exactly do both cards get their clock from via which input?

Did someone ever look in the Settingsdialog when such ASIO errors show up? Are both cards still in SYNC state then or fallen back to LOCK?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Paul,

Did you happen to ever torture yourself by reading the nightmare thread titled "Lynx Users Unite" on the Samplitude forum? I spent over a year trying to get my Lynx AES16 card working sith Samplitude 9 (along with many other people) and there may be some things for you to try in that thread if you can stand to read through it.  I wasn't using a GigaByte board (ASUS) but one thing I remember that helped some Gigabyte users was to roll back the motherboard bios to an older version. I can't remember exactly where the cutoff was but fo a Google search on the subject.  I think I even rolled back my ASUS bios and it helped a bit.

What finally got me working Lost ASIO Buffer (LAB) free in Samplitude was to switch to a RME AES32 card and then played with the settings a bit! cool  Here is page 24 of that thread (see post 594 :-O ) where I finally got things stabilized FWIW:

http://support.magix.net/boards/samplit … amp;st=575

In case you can't access the Samp forum here is part of what I posted:

OK, just a big FYI update for anyone interested on what I've been doing the last couple months regaring these 'issues'. I haven't spent a lot of time with it but I picked up a used RME AES32 card to try. I've probably spent only 10 days or less with it over the last couple months but here's the basic results:

I ran the same test I've been using for months now, record 16 tracks at once of a test tone from an external (analog) generator. Sample rate 88.2 24 bit clocked externally from Lavry Blue word clock. Hardware monitoring. WinXP Pro SP2 etc. etc. FWIW I can give detailed settings if anyone is interested.

Each 'day' below indicates a different day of testing where the computer was turned of inbetween and one or more days may have passed (maybe even a couple weeks) in-between. I didn't write down testing dates but I kept track in chronological order.

Day 1
(record buffers set to 64)
Unusable, lots of Lost ASIO Buffer errors and performed worse than the Lynx AES-16 at the same buffer setting. Not worth logging.

Day 2
(from here on out all tests are at 128)
Minutes - LAB Free
32 - no
32 - no
60 - yes

Day 3
Minutes - LAB Free
16 - no
70 - yes
126 - yes

Day 4
(from here on out all tests are done with real time waveform display OFF)
Minutes - LAB Free
36 - yes

Day 5
(from here on out all tests are done with transport control OFF)
Minutes - LAB Free
110 - yes
72 - yes

Day 6
Minutes - LAB Free
120 - yes
11 - yes
31 - yes

Day 7
Minutes - LAB Free
73 - yes

Day 8
Minutes - LAB Free
52 - yes
72 - yes

* Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H|Xeon E3-1241v3B|32GB RAM|AMD R9 390X 8GB GPU|RME AES32|Win 10 Pro 64 bit|

Well, I guess the famous Lynx thread will not lead us in the right direction here...

Your experience suggests that switching off the realtime waveform display solves the problem, together with sufficiently big ASIO buffers.

While the buffers are important for sure I can't confirm the waveform thing on the systems I know, among them some with really huge track counts.

Regards,
Ulrich