1 (edited by miguelmarques 2009-05-16 00:39:39)

Topic: Fireface 400 and iTunes

I've just connected my new fireface 400 to my macbook pro and i can't play songs from iTunes.

Well, the songs play but i'm having 3 to 5 seconds of audio dropouts. Any ideas? Everytime this happens the "Host" red light appears.

Latest drivers and firmware. Latest generation 15" MacBook Pro.

Re: Fireface 400 and iTunes

UPDATE!

I've connected my APOGEE Duet to one of the Fireface 400 and it started to work without audio dropouts. So, it's MacBook Pro to Fireface 400 and Apogee Duet from Fireface 400.

Even so, the front knob on the fireface still feels buggy while changing betwen LEV and CH.

So you dont get dropouts with an apogee behind the fireface?
http://rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4986
Are you using a FW 400 to 800 cable? I use the FW400 cable that came with the FF and Sonnet 9 to 6 pin adapter.
my FF800 seems to work fine with the latest 15" MacBook Pro got mine yesterday. Even though i startes to get Dropouts at a buffersize at 64 samples with a projekt of 15 audio tracks. Switching to 128 fix this though. Guess thats normal?
Alex

Dragekonge wrote:

So you dont get dropouts with an apogee behind the fireface?
http://rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4986
Are you using a FW 400 to 800 cable? I use the FW400 cable that came with the FF and Sonnet 9 to 6 pin adapter.
my FF800 seems to work fine with the latest 15" MacBook Pro got mine yesterday. Even though i startes to get Dropouts at a buffersize at 64 samples with a projekt of 15 audio tracks. Switching to 128 fix this though. Guess thats normal?
Alex

Yes! I have no dropouts with the Duet behing the fireface. But the moment I disconnect the Duet the fireface starts to go wild and the dropouts occur.

Even though, the front panel knob feels irresponsible sometimes.

As you, i'm using the FW400 cable that came with the fireface and I'm also using the sonnet 9 to 6 pin adapter. I'm using the FW400 cable that came with the duet to connect the duet to the fireface.

I'm now going to open some mixes to see how this works.

Very interesting that the Apogee actual will fix the Problem. Maybe here is the solution rme was looking for so long.
If i am read someone said that the glitches are coming from switch in the chip. The Apogee seems to stop that. Hopefully that could be a solution.

UPDATE!

As soon as i close the Fireface Mixer the Fireface starts to dropout and the front knob doesn't work at all. I keep changing volume and it doesn't change nothing. When i open the fireface mixer it all works!

But if i start changing faders on the Fireface Mixer it starts to drop out again.

So, the fireface works with the fireface mixer open but without changing stuff in it.

Also, I've open an heavy session in Digital Performer, running RME with the Duet and i've had drouputs. Maybe iTunes works because it's under 50% CPU?

NEW UPDATE!

If I keep changing the output the fireface will dropout again.

So, it will work as long as I don't touch it! Lol

When the dropouts occure is the Host sync LED red?
I Found the source of my dropouts. Multiband Compressor with built in latency. I Could go down to 64 Samples with the Onboard Audio driver will try it later with my FF

Yes, the Hos sync LED will always go on when the dropouts occure.

I'm only testing this thing with iTunes first.

I don't know if it is relevant but everytime a dropout occurs the Fireface Mixer window closes. Not the application itself, just the window.

Thats because the computer lost the connection. You cant open the Mixer if the FF isnt connected. that the same behavior.
Maybe you should try a workaround through an external harddrive? There is a post here about imac problems which got the same chip as the actual macbooks.

I was thinking of that! Don't know what's best right now, to buy a lacie firewire disk, a belkin firewire hub, etc. These things aren't easy to find around here.

So it's confirmed that this is a firewire issue right? They should announce on their website that they don't support latest macbook pros.

i use one of the latest macbooks and it seems to work fine for me. Look at the link i posted in my first post. there a different versions of the firewire chip

Oi Miguel. Est?s a usar a fireface alimentada pelo cabo firewire ou pelo transformador de corrente?

Cheers.

Fireface 400 + DIGI96/8 PAD. It's old but works.

I don't know what revision I have but i presume it's revision 6 because it doesn't work.

I may be returning the RME unless I find a firewire hub/repeater that will make it work without any kind of stress.

undercode wrote:

Oi Miguel. Est?s a usar a fireface alimentada pelo cabo firewire ou pelo transformador de corrente?

Cheers.

Ol?!

At? ao momento s? experimentei alimentada pelo bus firewire. Vou agora experimentar pelo transformador de corrente!

A mesma coisa. Com o transformador continua a n?o funcionar.

UPDATE:

I've tried everything and it won't work. I've ordered the Lindy extension cable and i'm hoping it will work. As soon as i know anything i'll tell you.

Perguntei isto porque da ?nica vez que a minha Fireface come?ou a acender o led Host durante a sua utiliza??o foi devido a t?-la ligado a uma porta firewire partilhada. (Normalmente as placas de expans?o PCI tem 3 + 1 interno. A interna ? partilhada e ligar a Fireface a? normalmente d? problemas...)
Mas como ? um macbook pro, acredito que isso seja problemas de software a colidir. Houve um rapaz aqui no f?rum que eu conhe?o pessoalmente, que tinha stresses com a Fireface dele e s? os resolveu com uma instala??o nova do MacOSX.
E conselho pessoal: N?o uses o Fireface no iTunes... Usa antes a placa de som interna e se quiseres tudo ligado usa um cabo para passar o sinal pela Fireface. Ela funciona muito melhor assim...

Cheers.

Fireface 400 + DIGI96/8 PAD. It's old but works.

I have exactly the same problem whith my macBookPro FireFace and iTunes or even Volume up down miguelmarques.

searching a solution.

see ya.