Topic: RME ADI-8 Function Question

Hello, I'm not clear on the functioning of these units. I was looking to connect one to an AIO through ADAT. The thing is I read in the manual that this works with the 8 channels but its not clear to me how do the Input/output works. In another words can I  use 4 inputs and 4 outputs at the same time or can I configure the 8 inputs to work at a time and not use the outputs and viceversa.

-Thanks

Re: RME ADI-8 Function Question

You can use 8 inputs and 8 outputs. Each device has an ADAT output (with light) and an input (without)...
Just connect both and try out.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

You can use 8 inputs and 8 outputs. Each device has an ADAT output (with light) and an input (without)...
Just connect both and try out.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Sorry I dont understand. Are you saying I would need connect both ADAT ports? The thing is the AIO only has 1 ADAT in/out port...

fabriciom wrote:

Sorry I dont understand. Are you saying I would need connect both ADAT ports? The thing is the AIO only has 1 ADAT in/out port...

The AIO has one ADAT input port and one ADAT output port... Two Toslink connectors.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by fabriciom 2009-05-20 23:55:48)

RME Support wrote:
fabriciom wrote:

The AIO has one ADAT input port and one ADAT output port... Two Toslink connectors.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Right. Does that give me access to use the 8 analog inputs and 8 analog outputs of the ADI at the same time? As far as I know each ADAT port supports up to 4 channels in one way. Hense the AIO could only support 4 analog in 4 analog out. I was woundering if the unit allow rerouting or something to use 8 channels in one way in or out. Or it was just that to use the other 4 analogs I needed to connect a second set of TOSLINK.

P.D. I think I did not explain my self correctly on the first post. I was talking about the analogue inputs/outputs

You are wrong, each ADAT connection delivers 8 channels at standard sample rate (44.1KHz, 48 KHz). However, when runnimg 88.2KHz or 96 KHz it is restricted to 4 channels (and then two ADAT connections are needed for transmitting 8 channels).

Regards,
Ulrich

7 (edited by fabriciom 2009-05-21 08:15:53)

Ulrich wrote:

You are wrong, each ADAT connection delivers 8 channels at standard sample rate (44.1KHz, 48 KHz). However, when runnimg 88.2KHz or 96 KHz it is restricted to 4 channels (and then two ADAT connections are needed for transmitting 8 channels).

Regards,
Ulrich

OK then going back to the first question. If I have access to 8 analog channels, how can I combine them. Only 8 analog inputs or 8 analog outputs, 4 of each etc. Also if im working at 44.1 can i use 24 bit or is it 16 bit only?

It's quite easy, and I'm sure reading the manual will bring much clarity as well.

You connect the ADAT out of the ADI 8 (Pro? DS?) with the ADAT in of the AIO, this gives you 8 channels of analogue inputs additonally to the analogue inputs the AIO provides by itself.

And you connect the ADAT in of the ADI 8 withh the ADAT out of the AIO, resulting in 8 channels of analogue outputs in addition to the ones the AIO provides by itself.

And this way, you can handle full channel count at 44/48 kHz and 24 bit.

Please don't forget to sync all devices correctly.

Good luck!

Ulrich

Each adat (toslink) cable is UNIdirectional.  To use the inputs of the adi, run toslink cable from the adi adat out to the aio adat in.  Then to use the adi output run a second toslink cable from the aio adat output to the adi adat input.  This will allow you to use 8 ins and 8 outs at 44.1/48, 4 in and 4 outs at 88.2/96 and 2 ins and 2 outs at 176.4/192.  You need both adat cables to achieve bidirectional signal because adat cables only send OR receive signal.  There is no way to "combine" the signal.  It is very simple, just connect 2 cables between the aio and the adi and you are done.  Oh and you might want to use a word clock cable between them as well, but it should work without.

Read the Manual