Topic: MADI and TotalMix

Last night, accessing our Recital Centre's house MADI system for a recording, my rig included an M-S pair.  As I do not have total control over the patching of the MADI stage box, the pair ended up on an adjacent but even/odd pair (10/11) of MADI channels.  Currently TotalMix and the M-S macro only appears to work if the pairing is odd/even - selecting 10 and 11 resulted in the macro being implemented on 11/12.   Owing to the peculiarities of the wiring of mic winches in the house, you could even end up with the stereo pair being on widely separated MADI channels.  (Both the house DigiCo system and REAPER also have the same issue dealing with non-adjacent stereo pairs, so TotalMix is not alone in this - but let's keep ahead of the game?)

With large complex installations such as MADI with large numbers of channels, is there anyone else who feels the need for a 'patch-panel' between the MADI channels and the TotalMix inputs (and outputs for that matter) to overcome operational issues such as this?  Might be easier to do than rejigging the TotalMix User Interface?  Or getting the house repatched ....

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Re: MADI and TotalMix

Reaper may not allow non-adjactent stereo pairs, but it allows even/odd pairs like 10/11, so it's one step ahead of TM for the time  being. wink

Dead right!  REAPER was in action on the DAW.  The M-S pair being on adjacent channels could be recorded as a stereo channel, with the VOXENGO M-S plug-in active.  The omni outriggers were on non adjacent channels so they had to be recorded as mono channels.  But my monitor mix was constructed through REAPER, not TotalMix.  Alright on the night .... 

I do worry sometimes that we are asking too much of TotalMix, which has power in an elegant simplicity.  But then I do look at what others are doing with on-board DSP (eg., MOTU) and ask - should it have been Fireface UC MkIII?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

4 (edited by bmdaugherty 2009-08-12 18:15:22)

Nuendo allows for non-adjacent, as well as even/odd pairs.  Since you define all busses in-to and out-of Nuendo before you can select any i/o in the routing menus, you can easily define any physical input or output as any software bus from a mono bus to a 10.2 surround bus.  It works exactly like a virtual patchbay... You can even route a single physical i/o to multiple software busses of any type, effectively multing as many signals as you need.  It's a beautiful system IMO.