Topic: new product request?

I am happy to report I'm back in the RME world!  I used to use a digiface, then the Fireface 800 (as a portable rig), but for the last year I've been running a pair of Lynx AES cards with Nuendo feeding Lynx and Universal AD/DAs.  Not bad, but certainly not of the flexibility and reliability of the RME stuff I was used to.  So I finally bit the bullet and bought an ADI 6432, a MADIface for my laptop and a PCIe Madi card for my new i7 based computer.

I then got to thinking about my "on location" rig, and decided that what I REALLY need is a Micstacy with the MADI option.

Now I could leave the 6432 in the rack at the studio, and use the Micstacy on the road or in the studio, via MADI (to the MADIface) when on location or via AES-EBU to the 6432 in the studio. 

BUT- How do I MONITOR what I'm recording when I'm on location with the laptop?  Sadly the Madiface has no analog output.  The Micstacy has no outputs of any type (am I right here?).  Do I have to buy an ADI 642 or pull the 6432 from the rack every time I want to record on location?  Is it possible to get a 2-4 channel analog feed off MADI for monitoring?

Re: new product request?

Similar situation here. I would have loved to see any kind of additional breakout on the MADIface, but it's just not there. Probably I will engage a ADI-8 QSM soon in order to be able to feed surround monitoring.

Provided no ASIO but only WDM drivers are used the FFUC might do the trick as well, however it still has to be synchronised with the MADI setup somehow.

Using the I64 MADI Card on the Micstasy provides the ability of 8 channels being used as digital return path, sending audio via MADI to the Micstasy's ADAT and AES outputs. For example stage and studio monitors can be fed digitally from the Micstasy. It only needs an additional D/A-converter (e.g. ADI-8 DS or any not expensive ADAT converter).

best regards
Knut

As I still haven't sold my Fireface 800, is it possible I could use it simultaneously with the Madiface and Micstacy?  I would just use the outputs of course, for a headphone mix and on-location monitoring.  Can Nuendo recognize the Fireface 800 and Madiface at the same time?

5 (edited by danharr 2009-09-05 00:33:02)

Also-
Thanks Knut, I THINK I understand...  You mean I could get an 8 channel ADAT D to A and solve my problem, assuming I am getting the MADI option for the Micstacy, which I would.  Is this right?
Thanks!
Dan

danharr wrote:

Also-
Thanks Knut, I THINK I understand...  You mean I could get an 8 channel ADAT D to A and solve my problem, assuming I am getting the MADI option for the Micstacy, which I would.  Is this right?
Thanks!
Dan

I'm not familiar with RME's MADI stuff, but if that's what he is saying, then you could use your FF800 in "Standalone mode" as the 8-Channel ADAT D/A converter smile

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Yes this is right. Use the MADI as digital return path from the MADIface and the ADAT port and the Fireface as 8-Channel DA output.

best regards
Knut

Thanks for the help!
Just out of curiosity- If I wanted to keep my fireface800, can I leave it with me and my laptop, plugged into the firewire port for monitoring, while the Micstasy is on stage, with a long cable plugged in to the MADIface?  Can I run both interfaces together in Nuendo? 

And if I buy the Micstasy, can I also use it in my studio plugged into the 6432 MADI in, which in turn is plugged into the PCIe MADI card?  In other words can MADI recognize channels 1-8 as the Micstasy, and channels 9-32 as my AES-EBU feeds from my rack mount Auroras/Universal 2192?  Or, while in the studio, am I better just running the Micstasy via AES-EBU into the 6432?  Just trying to get my mind around MADI!