Topic: Fireface 800 on Snow Leopard doesn't work

Hmm, did not found driver updates, after upgrading the Fireface 800 does not work anymore. Any chance to get an update soon?
ps: I had no choice, my old G5 died, so I went to a new Mac Pro with Snow Leo 10.6.0
Any chance to get it to work soon?..

www.sequencer.de SynthDBase/Community, www.Moogulator.com The Music

Re: Fireface 800 on Snow Leopard doesn't work

We're all waiting those drivers smile

Mac Pro 8-Core | OSX 10.6 | Logic 8.0.2 | RME FF800 |

? http://www.waveformbakery.com ?

thx for info. hope it won't take too long, ..

(Logic Pro 9, 8core MP, Snow Leo.)

What doesn't work for you exactly? Just interested because I am on 10.6 using the FF800 absolutely fine. I have a first gen Mac Pro model 2,1 so perhaps it's an issue with newer Macs? The 2.62a driver shows up fine in the revised Audi Midi utility, unlike some other devices I am using.

*MacBookProEarly2011*13" Core i7*OSX 10.7.2 *Logic 9.1.6* 4GB RAM *FF800(3.06 / 2.77)*

got it to work, I had to find the Mixer window, all inputs show "clip/overload" but I can use logic. itunes or system or peak 4 use system out only, peak froze the system but I can play via logic. looks like it need an update, but can use it for SOME apps.

the new audio app looks strange, there is no more way to tell all sound should go to the fireface, but I got audio now, which is a lot nicer, but I don't know if it is stable. what I've done? I upgraded everything and tried - the host LED seems to like me this time and went off.

I'll try what will work. logic seems to work, all mixer settings where reset, I had to reconfigure the mixer, will check if it now remembers the settings but everything is better than NOT to work. itunes and other system tools, the system sounds and other settings seem to have gone, so I can not listen to music - exept I try via logic but I may find out. I just installed Snow Leo, so maybe a matter of time.

6 (edited by moogulator 2009-09-10 00:27:13)

now I understand the new core audio stuff. itunes playing nice and loud. easy. apple uses RIGHT CLICK now wink

so the Soft need some updates, but I can HANDLE it and seems to work. not perfect but it WORKS. peak works fine, too - just patch our core audio once.
ok, so I gonna be more patient for update.

I get system wide freezes here (application goes "not responding" -state and only thing you can do is turn off/boot from power switch/button) if i turn on FF800 unit on after i've booted my Mac Pro. I've tested this many many times. If i turn on FF800 before i boot my Mac Pro everything seems to be fine.

The new Audio setup in 10.6 is much better in my opinion. It's simple to set up your devices and assign system sounds etc. I have to say, I always turn my FF800 on before booting the computer, I turn all connected FW gear on before boot so it's all loaded up for the Mac OS to find. I have not tried it afterwards so have not experienced your problem. Maybe I'll try it later just for jollies smile

*MacBookProEarly2011*13" Core i7*OSX 10.7.2 *Logic 9.1.6* 4GB RAM *FF800(3.06 / 2.77)*

DiScO wrote:

The new Audio setup in 10.6 is much better in my opinion. It's simple to set up your devices and assign system sounds etc. I have to say, I always turn my FF800 on before booting the computer, I turn all connected FW gear on before boot so it's all loaded up for the Mac OS to find. I have not tried it afterwards so have not experienced your problem. Maybe I'll try it later just for jollies smile

Yeah. In 10.5.8 i got never this problem.

I experienced the same: it works, but if you change too much in audio you might get the machine freezing, I had 1 Kernel Panic also (the third time EVER on Macs - I am on Mac since the 66Mhz PPC 1994). The RME Host LED went off from time to time and the audio sounded glitchy - next start it worked perfectly. so I assume there will be an update - also the clip "LEDs" on the mixer shouldn't be lit all the time. but it works for "now". but not as reliable as it was on prev. OS'es.

11 (edited by quattroquarti 2009-09-11 16:39:33)

moogulator wrote:

I experienced the same: it works, but if you change too much in audio you might get the machine freezing, I had 1 Kernel Panic also

It's the same here!

Ciao,
Marco

Mac Pro early 2008  - 8GB RAM - Mac OS X 10.6.1 - Logic 9 - FF800

moogulator wrote:

apple uses RIGHT CLICK now wink

Using Logitech V470 bluetooth mouse here on MBP with Leopard, right click is perfectly integrated actually...It's not a new feature :-)

Ok, you seem to have missed my point. I am using mice with more than 2 buttons since 1843. In this case it is unexpected for APPLE. More than just a contect menu. Thats a new one! trust me! I am on Mac since 1994. double or more buttoned since OS X 10.1

I wrote this one under the name of "poe" with open office and a 3 button mouse and Apples OS INRI Dual 1.01 Beta.

only the RME still needs a fine tune today.

quattroquarti wrote:
moogulator wrote:

I experienced the same: it works, but if you change too much in audio you might get the machine freezing, I had 1 Kernel Panic also

It's the same here!

Ciao,
Marco

Mac Pro early 2008  - 8GB RAM - Mac OS X 10.6.1 - Logic 9 - FF800

Have you guys tryed new RME driver ?. Any changes. I'm on vacation atm, so i cannot try it out.

There's no new stuff, except for USB ones to try..

Why do you need to load Snow Leopard. At this point, it does nothing for you as far as audio goes.  What is the point? If it ain't broke don't fix it. I guess I am stupid. Will someone explain why I need Snow Leopard right this minute so I can demand the new driver.

18 (edited by moogulator 2009-09-15 04:03:13)

My simple reason is: I had to get a new mac since my old broke down, and I don't think it makes sense to go to Leo first and go to Snow Leo later - also it is quite a speedup and most of my important stuff works or I found replacements.

SL pro is: faster, has OpenCL, has better use of multiple cores (grand central dispatch etc.), 64 bit, finder is native now (lots of big plusses), I had lots of bumps on almost all apps. so in fact it is a bit like buying a faster computer.

my plans were to move slowly from the g5 to the MP, but something had to happen (broke down, had to do something) wink

Harhar, I am not an "ADAT User", looks like this is the lowest rank you got in here wink

moogulator wrote:

My simple reason is: I had to get a new mac since my old broke down, and I don't think it makes sense to go to Leo first and go to Snow Leo later - also it is quite a speedup and most of my important stuff works or I found replacements.

SL pro is: faster, has OpenCL, has better use of multiple cores (grand central dispatch etc.), 64 bit, finder is native now (lots of big plusses), I had lots of bumps on almost all apps. so in fact it is a bit like buying a faster computer.

my plans were to move slowly from the g5 to the MP, but something had to happen (broke down, had to do something) wink

Harhar, I am not an "ADAT User", looks like this is the lowest rank you got in here wink

+1. You can see speed bump when you're loading your old projects.

moogulator wrote:

There's no new stuff, except for USB ones to try..

There is new driver on FF800 side also. Dated 7.9.2009, which is btw my birthday, present from RME ;-). ?.

No there is not. This is a firmware update for the FF400, nothing else.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

route-electrique wrote:
moogulator wrote:

+1. You can see speed bump when you're loading your old projects.

I think all of those new features are great and I use them on my other apples. I have not seen an open CL benefit as of yet with my Adobe Suites.   I am not reading any good posts on Apple's website concerning Logic and Snow Leopard. Digital Performer works on Snow Leopard but it is no faster. Cubase is a mess on Snow Leopard using stock internal sound on one of My Macbook Pros. So someone explain how all of this 'speed' is going to help when our music apps are having problems with it. I understand if you are a 'new computer' owner/user but most of the posts are from people that have computers and hardware that is working now and they are just curious to see if it makes things faster. I realize it is tempting to go into the 'light'. Stay away from the 'light' LOL

why not just check for yourself. there is no "must have" in it. you can go to SL in 2010 and just use your current machine, but I don't have that chance since mine is dead. atm d'ling live 8 since live 7 does not start on SL also. live 7 was rock solid, live 8 wasn't if you need it on stage, so I just hope it will work with 8.05 in studio. Producers should work on their WORKING macs - never change a running system. and if there is time try the next one or install it onto another HD. I'd advise every1 here to migrate from HD and not just install SL onto an older one - Apple is just differently strange compared to MS since Leopard. I wonder why there is no Linux Driver for the RMEs. Anyway. Assume you need to wait till 10.X.5 or so to have a "final" product. And Updates of all app you REALLY need.

moogulator wrote:

why not just check for yourself. there is no "must have" in it. you can go to SL in 2010 and just use your current machine, but I don't have that chance since mine is dead. atm d'ling live 8 since live 7 does not start on SL also. live 7 was rock solid, live 8 wasn't if you need it on stage, so I just hope it will work with 8.05 in studio. Producers should work on their WORKING macs - never change a running system. and if there is time try the next one or install it onto another HD. I'd advise every1 here to migrate from HD and not just install SL onto an older one - Apple is just differently strange compared to MS since Leopard. I wonder why there is no Linux Driver for the RMEs. Anyway. Assume you need to wait till 10.X.5 or so to have a "final" product. And Updates of all app you REALLY need.

I guess my real point was to make sure that people are working the Apple side of this issue because what I am reading on their Logic posts is not good for the new Apple computer user, new RME drivers or not. There are Logic 8.02 users showing the 'exceptions' and no one has a clue. My point of posting was to say to the guys that are considering having the 'latest and greatest' (yes like me) that there is no realized benefit at this time to screw up your machine. Reloading without the proper backup software kills a whole day. I hope that you will post after you get the drivers and warn us since you really have no choice in the matter. Good luck to you and by all means keep posting.

It is good to give Apple the Feedback. They should know! I got the same talk on my Forum atm. And yes: As long as there are too many fanboys we need loud enough shouts. atm my RME works as fine as it is on Snow Leo. I had to teak some things to do so but it finally works. I am sure there is just small tweaks to do for RME.

26 (edited by moogulator 2009-09-15 13:41:20)

btw: Live works fine on SL, had Largo in it which was the cause of hanging and crashing.

Means: There's only a hand full of app NOT running, but some of these cause bad things to happen.

The main things : make sure you have the latest Syncrosoft drivers if you use any Steinberg products. Make sure you have the latest Pace drivers for Ilok stuff. Make sure you are wearing clean underwear.

Here everything works great with SL and a white Macbook : Fireface 800, Dp 6 and Live 8.
No problems so far.

Just bought a SL Lapey, finally! I have used RME fireface on 2 different PC, just grand, never really had a problem...
people at RME...Fireface 800 DOES NOT WORK ON SNOW LEOPARD(yes really)...installed old drivers, the newest drivers(262 edition?), plus try the latest updates...result...it says it can't installed updates because it hasn't found any drivers installed..errrrr. As for picking up the FF800...nope. It says on the manual that you need to install drivers, reboot and turn the FF800, it should be picked up by the computer...well I tell you it does nothing...dead meat with a firewire cable(correction, expensive dead meat)
I read some of you have it to work, some don't...HELP PLEASE!
cheers...
RME rocks by the way

The following posting contains incorrect information, please ignore. Comments below.
RME Support

Actually I have an IMPORTANT UPDATE READ THAT!
Spoke to the guys in Synthax today, they were really helpful.
sit tight, i don't have good news for you....They won't release a new driver because it's a Hardware problem, got nothing to do with operating system issue.
basically RME recommends Texas Instruments Chipsets on firewire ports. The new macbook, macbook pro, imacs use cheaper chipset called Agere. They are smaller and produce a smaller voltage in order to reduce the heat produced.Unfortunately the voltage goes under whats acceptable for A FF800 to be picked up...damn it.
Not all computer are affected, some macbook have Texas Instruments chipset, but you can never know as it depends of their deliveries at the factory. You can only find out when you boot up the mac and press Command+S to see the system profiler.
That's really unfortunate, there isn't much you can do apart from switching to a FF400 USB2 serie...

The guy told me you can try to get a Firewire Repeater Cable from a company called LINDY. They are Active firewire cables to extend the cable length(a bit like a DI box), that potentially could raise the voltage for the FF800 to be picked up..
if that doesn't work, well...sell you FF800 on ebay and buy a digidesign interface....Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

andgodinventedrock wrote:

Actually I have an IMPORTANT UPDATE READ THAT!

Your "update" does not contain any news, and it's mostly incorrect.

sit tight, i don't have good news for you....They won't release a new driver because it's a Hardware problem, got nothing to do with operating system issue.

You are confusing and mixing up entirely different issues. Current issues with 10.6 have nothing to do with (Firewire) hardware.

basically RME recommends Texas Instruments Chipsets on firewire ports. The new macbook, macbook pro, imacs use cheaper chipset called Agere. They are smaller and produce a smaller voltage in order to reduce the heat produced.Unfortunately the voltage goes under whats acceptable for A FF800 to be picked up...damn it.

This is complete nonsense, sorry.
a) The FF 800 does not require FW bus power.
b) The issue with Agere chips is not related to a lack of bus power (there is such an issue on certain Macbooks, though)
c) The Agere issue is two years old, new Macbooks have improved chips (not sure about iMacs).

Not all computer are affected, some macbook have Texas Instruments chipset, but you can never know as it depends of their deliveries at the factory.

Again, not correct. There is no such variation in delivery. There is, however, an improved Agere chip.

The guy told me you can try to get a Firewire Repeater Cable from a company called LINDY. They are Active firewire cables to extend the cable length(a bit like a DI box), that potentially could raise the voltage for the FF800 to be picked up..

The repeater cable does not "raise voltage", and the FF800 does not require bus power.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok than fair enough,

I guess the guys from Synthax in England don't know what they are talking about then...I only relayed what they told me...
what's sure is that the new chipset the macbook are using (I checked it's actully a LUCENT 5903 Chipset) does not work, hence why the guy from Synthax was so sorry not to have a quick an easy solution to propose.
I guess I mouldeld up a bit in the technicals(I am just a mere musician, not a computer geek)...
the FACT is that you say "you recommend to use Texas Instrument chipset" just mean that most likely RME FF800 wouldn't work with that chipset...not my words! the ones of Synthax UK(they seem to know it is a serious issue)! They even proposed me to buy a Fireface UC(usb 2.0) instead!...which I 'd buy if I had the cash...
nevermind, my point I was NOT slagging off  RME...I love the gear don't want to change it.
The Other fact is that there isn't really a solution...I spoke to apple and they won't change what chipset they are using for FW port not right now anyway...so for the poor Macbook user with only one FW port like me, solutions are slim!
One of them, like you say on your forum is to use a external FW drive as a Hub...I am gonna try that and let you know if it works, just purchased a LINDY firewire Hub that uses Texas instrument chipset, so hopefully it will work...

dear Daniel Fuchs, I know you are a very nice man(I have dealt with you in the past and you were very good!), I understand you are trying to protect the image of RME from idiots musicians like me that don't know anything about computer stuff...but be reassured, Apple has got the same problem with Motu, Edirol and most major soundcard, so you are not alone...and apple won't do anything about it(they are actually phasing out FW ports on computers)...bad apple...good RME

I just want my FF800 back...so hopefully that will work, whatever you say!(and I promise and I'll take electronic engineering classes as soon as my FF800 is back)

just to add, check the apple forums for Firewire chipset compatibility issues, everything I talked about is in there...and it's pretty recent too

andgodinventedrock wrote:

what's sure is that the new chipset the macbook are using (I checked it's actully a LUCENT 5903 Chipset) does not work, hence why the guy from Synthax was so sorry not to have a quick an easy solution to propose.

To the best of our knowledge, the latest generation of Lucent chips does work... If something doesn't work in your case, it may be related to 10.6 more than the Lucent. User feedback on 10.6 varies, but we are working on dedicated drivers.

One of them, like you say on your forum is to use a external FW drive as a Hub...I am gonna try that and let you know if it works, just purchased a LINDY firewire Hub that uses Texas instrument chipset, so hopefully it will work...

If it were a chipset issue, the simple repeater cable would also help, since the issue is not related to FW power supply.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Happy Birthday to me
Happy Birthday to me
I got new Fireface drivers on my birthday
they work great in S L with version 6 of DP.
Yeah I know pretty silly. Drivers are great so far so good.

Macbook Pro 17 late 07 64 bit processor 64bit EFI booting in 32bit mode.

robcog wrote:

Happy Birthday to me
Happy Birthday to me
I got new Fireface drivers on my birthday
they work great in S L with version 6 of DP.
Yeah I know pretty silly. Drivers are great so far so good.

Macbook Pro 17 late 07 64 bit processor 64bit EFI booting in 32bit mode.

Wow, that was fast!.

just a word of advice for anyone that is using Steinberg plugins. After you upgrade to Snow Leopard  and you open for instance Logic Pro The program will validate the Au Plugins again you may receive an error or it might crash. This is not an RME problem.The new drivers are working. Install or reinstall the new syncrosoft drivers and open Logic and revalidate with the AU manager. The plugin will now work with Logic Pro and the program will be more stable.

38 (edited by moogulator 2009-09-27 16:09:43)

Had another Kernel Panic, just for a Preview via Snow Leo & RME RW800. Synchrosoft Stuff works fine now, you need to delete a special file in App Support "SeLicenser.sel" - in my case because I migrated everything from a G5 to Intel - tiger to snow. so be aware of this, this is not RME's fault.
and be careful with older USB Hubs, most work, some don't.

Anyway. My FW800 RME works, but sometimes audio causes crash. and that's new to me since Jaguar I had the most crashes on Snow Leopard. I really hope for more stability. don't know - want my crashlog? sent mine to apple. possible an RME, too.

means: Waldorf and others running, Synchrosoft running, RME running - almost.
but more Kernel Panics related to Audio via System eg. Players, OS X - Audio somewhere in the finder. Works after Restart, but I'd recommend NOT to change system audio from internal to RME or vice versa on any of the 3 options (system sound, out, in). if so you may not be able to save your work. thats what I do atm.

39 (edited by ovorigin 2009-09-28 09:54:11)

route-electrique wrote:

I get system wide freezes here (application goes "not responding" -state and only thing you can do is turn off/boot from power switch/button) if i turn on FF800 unit on after i've booted my Mac Pro. I've tested this many many times. If i turn on FF800 before i boot my Mac Pro everything seems to be fine.

I too have this exact issue using the 'UC' along with ableton crashes and crackling dropping out of audio.

I broke my rule about never install the first version of any software for these very reasons, another lesson I must re learn again.

Running 10.6.1/latest rme driver/latest ableton version.

reverbnation.com/ovorigin

40 (edited by moogulator 2009-09-28 18:57:44)

kernel panic and freezing comes when switching between RME and internal audio without restarting the whole system. I did NOT have to do that before, but now I am sure I get reproducable kernel/crash when doing so. so start RME first, set all apps, if it changed - restart the mac. the overload LEDs are constantly on. fw800 via FW800 connection.

thats the only bad part - not a nice bug bug sure it is a bug - or better: not yet fixed update for Snow Leopard - just to be fair.
sorry, no time for RAM experiments atm - prefer to have it runing and need to do some jobs delayed because of all the SL probs.

ableton live works. everything works now. exept the above.

Also having some real troubles... Crashes and dropping sound. It's hard to say what the problem is with all the current updates. We have a new driver for SL, we have 10.6.1, we have Logic 9.0.1. All I know is that my system is really unstable now with constant crashes.

I'm on Mac Pro 8-core (Early 2008), 6 gigs of ram, Fireface 800.

Mac Pro 8-core (Early 2008), 6 GB RAM. Fireface 800. Logic 9.1.1, OS X 10.6.3

42 (edited by mattrixx 2009-10-01 07:48:28)

Just had another kernel panic here too... Can post it if anyone's interested.  System config as per previous post. (note: I also have ProTools LE and it's Digi003R connected)

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

I am also open to post / send my kernel panic reports to some1, if interested. but it's now almost predictable - so I can not stop them but almost avoid them.

waiting for the SLeo Update.

44 (edited by drobinsondn 2009-10-05 15:42:39)

Where exactly do you find "panic reports" -this is awful at first it was fine now it drops out at least once a minute when my mixes get heavy... and for a while after...

it's called crashlog, thats a folder in "Library" - it lists all processes runing at that time and some debug info.
you get these after any crash of any app, so it contains the name of the app and is all in one crashlog folder within library

46 (edited by PAL 2009-10-05 19:55:17)

Do you have Pro Tools 8.0.3 Snow Leopard pre release installed?

The problem could very well be DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin  from v8.0.3 crashing.

Here is the solution from another forum:

>>>
i assume you use a 002 or 002r ??

(--- if not you can simply delete DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin vers 8.0.3 -- )

its the DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin vers 8.0.3
if you extract DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin vers 8.0.1 from the
previous update you'll be fine.
just drag the older vers into your library/audio/midi drivers/ folder.
btw : its in the Application Files LE.pkg.. click on it.. show contents..
extract Archive.pax.gz and there it is.
voila !! smooth sailing with Snowy
have fun
>>>

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=255251

nope, no PT, just Logic (user since 2.6 till now - just left out 7.X)
migrated from PPC, so be sure you have all intel drivers installed. I reupdated and all went good, had to find out about syncrosoft (plugs!) and worked after updating and deleting a special file.

no crashing but please do not switch audio, just switch on RME, then computer and change it once to RME out (everything) and you will have no crashes. I will be patient till updates, before it was no problem to switch but had to reopen some apps to play through the new desired audio device.

if you do so, you may not have probs with RME.

digi is a very different kind of thing, they are very very difficult about their and "other" audio hardware, so be sure it is not an RME fault. did you check everything with digidesign hardware & compatibelity? I got some friends who really cry after EVERY new update with digi stuff.

but it looks like you got none of these.

I can wait, just like to have my overload LEDs back off and that rather small issue. everything else was related to other soft/hardware.

I use the FF800 in a 2 year old MacPro system with an AJA Kona 3 video card.  I can use the Kona for video and the FF800 for audio in Final Cut Pro 7 without problems, but in Soundtrack Pro 3, the two cards are not compatible.  Selecting the Kona for video output cuts off the audio to the FF800, even though the FF800 is selected for audio monitoring.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm guessing that this is something that would have to be solved on the Apple side.  On the other hand, I don't know if the FF800 software developers have ever tested it with Soundtrack. What does RME support have to say? Thanks.

49 (edited by moogulator 2009-10-17 05:25:51)

updated to version that was uploaded by RME yesterday. now NOTHING works. red LED on Fireface 800.
so this is no good news.

hope there is a downgrade somewhere, causes crashes on swithcing audio but worked. so if you have problems or doubts. hope this helps.

unlucky again.

PS: downgraded and it works, finds it's host. so new version seems to be more buggy than the previous version. DON'T USE IT!! (I use it with FW800 cable)

mooogulator: Read the other thread. If nothing works then no driver is installed. Just install again.

You're previous driver version had been?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME