Topic: Multiface as stand alone converter?

Hi,

Can I somehow use my RME multiface with my digirack 002 as an extra (9-16 ch.) converter?
I am happy with pro tools and as it is right now, I will not change.

Looking forward to hear from you

Jonas Nakel

Re: Multiface as stand alone converter?

Hi Jonas, the multiface can be used in disconnect mode.  Details can be found on page 42 of the Multiface and page 46 of the MultifaceII manuals:

Manuals

Glad to hear you are happy with protools and will not be changing.

jonathan adams leonard

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for your fast answer.

I know that it can remenber its settings with an eksternal psu, but I use macbook and mac pro now and they haven't got PCI cardbus.

I record many ensembles in churches and I want to bring it with me and use its converter insted of digi's.

Some have told me, that you can put memory inside it. Is that right?

Do I have any other opportunities?

thanks again - Jonas

As far as I understand, you will have to connect thre Multiface to a HDSP card of some sort to "upload" the Firmware and Totalmix routings.  Then you MUST leave it powered on through an external power supply (wall wart, etc).  I do not know of any other way to make the Multiface work (it MUST have its firmware uploaded by an HDSP card of some sort for it to operate at all).  I do wish this was easier, but this is one drawback of the FGPA's endless flexibility IIRC, and the FGPA is partially what made the Multiface so succsessful and updatable through the years...

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

I Have A Multiface And A Digiface  And A Firface 800.
The Fireface Just Stopped Working And I Am In The Middle Of An Important Project!
I Am Using An Hp Notebook With Usb And Firewire  Inputs.  Using Xp Pro  And Sonar 8 Producer.
I Want To Use The Multiface And Digiface To Finish This Project.  Are There Drivers (asio And Mdm) And How Can I Go About Doing This, Quickly?

Do you have the appropriate HDSP interface for the Multiface/Digiface?  These would be either a HDSP PCMCIA card or a HDSP Express card for a Laptop.  Whatever you do - DO NOT plug a Multiface/Digiface in to a standard Firewire400 port - you will fry it...

If you have the appropriate HDSP card, then you should simply be able to install it, load the correct drivers, and select the correct interface in Sonar.  If your HDSP cards have older firmware, you might have to first install a legacy driver, update the Firmware with the FUT tool, power down, and then install the most current 3.xxx drivers...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

hi.. i just tried to set my multiface (plugged into a pci card on my pc) to disconnect mode, so that once i close the pc i could still have access to multiface's inputs and thus outputs, and also midi in and midi out. when i closed my machine and prepared to play a keyboard into input 3-4, i heard nothing from output3-4 anymore (after closing the machine). im now going to set the multiface to disconnect again and disconnect the firewire cable (the multiface is powered by its own psu). have i misunderstood how to do all this correctly (to use the multiface's inputs, outputs and midi in and midi out  as a routing service which i plug into my macbookpro, which receives  analog output3-4 channel and which sends midinotes out to the multiface via a usbcontroller's midi out?))
i really hope i'll be able to use the outputs and inputs even without my tower-pc whirring away.

i tried to read this (" to "upload" the Firmware and Totalmix routings")  but couldn't figure out an upload procedure for totalmix routings.

im doing something wrong, amn't i, and i'm also expecting some sort of features from the multiface that just aren't there. right? wrong? either way, helpmeout!!:) please.

RME Fireface UCX (macOS Mojave, Mid-2015 MBP)<-in use
RME Multiface (XP, PCG-GRX690) <-in a closet