Topic: fireface UC performance problems

dear people,
I installed the fireface UC on my lenovo t500 (win XP SP3, ICH9 USB controller).
for me the difference between my cardbus/ multiface and the UC is quiet big:
with the pcmcia card I can run my current ableton live project at 64 samples, but only at 512 with the UC.
(when I go lower ableton live reports an visual C runtime error)
are there any special tweaking tricks that could make the performance better? with 512 samples
its impossible to do realtime stuff, like running the vocal mics through the laptop...
otherwise, is there any plans to update the multiface in a fireface UC like way (Mic inputs etc)?
thanks in advance,
kirillov

Re: fireface UC performance problems

dear folks,
for some reason its working much better now, the only thing I did was deleting some files and creating more free hard disc space (3 gb before, now 11 gb). maybe it had something to do with virtual memory, I dont know..
anyway, Im really happy that the system is working now (128 samples).
cheers...

and again: troubles with live running out of memory.
is it possible the the UC needs a lot more RAM then the PCMCIA interface? is there anything I can do?
seems like nothing beats the performance of my good old multiface/ cardbus interface. so again the question: is RME planning a kind of FIREFACE PCMCIA? that would be the thing for me..
thanks in advance..

Try deleting Live's "preferences.cfg".

thank you timur, I gonna try this as soon Im back home..

Hello, did you solve the problem yet? I'm planning to sell my Multi II to buy  an UC as well, but latency is so important for me, as I use the RME card for live performance...

Thanks

L.

hi loekazz,
Im still testing as in the last months I used the old cardbus interface at home and the UC in another setting. now its both at home again (but I forgot the cardbus itself at a friends place, so I cant test right now) so I will try some more things during the holidays.
one thing for sure, with the UC ableton live needs 10% more CPU power, wich is not soooo bad if you have a fast computer.
the ableton running out of memory issue seems to be a problem related to version 8 rather than to the UC. I will check...
cheers

Hi! I also have some problems in terms of latency. Since one week i use the fireface uc. all buffersizes lower than 512 clip like hell wink, and this really sucks.  does anyone have further experiences to solve this problem! here are my system coordinates:
quadcore q6600 2,4 ghz
4gb ddr2 ram (4096MB OCZ PC2-6400 CL5 KIT XTC Gold)
Asus P5k-e wifi - P35 (Sockel 775)
Cubase 5.1.2 (32b)
Windows 7 Prof. 64 bit
Fireface UC

Please help!
I already think of changing the Uc to ff400...:(
greetz blindflug

ah i forgot! Merry X-mas to everybody!

Hello Kirillov,

Did you try to make any more comparisons between cardbus and UC yet? I'm very curious about the results...

Thanks and happy new year!

Lukas

hey Blindflug and loekazz,
back home I did a few things to my system: I Installed Win 7 64bit, wich also means that my computer now finally can use the 4 Gb RAM
that are Installed. now that means that its no longer possible to really compare things, but the good news is that now I can run my projects
well with 128 samples. thats fine for me, I guess.
gonna do some comparing tests the next days.
cheers,
K

12 (edited by Timur 2010-01-04 09:49:15)

Anyone getting clicks with Ableton Live:

Start Task-Manager "as Administrator" (or turn off UAC) and set Live's priority to "Realtime".

Concerning the comparison of Fireface UC and cardbus: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7235

PS: On my Macbook Pro the UC only needs 1.5% more CPU power compared to the HDSPe (ExpressCard). Make sure you use the right measuring methods and that Speedstep doesn't fool you.