Topic: Performance problems running 3 AES-32 cards

Hi,
I have a machine (WinXP32, 3.0GHz IntelCore2Duo, 2GB RAM, Gigabyte-Board GA-EP35-DS3) and would like to run 3 AES-32 cards (PCI). The setup is designed to record 8 channels and play back 40 channels at 48k.

When I try to play back 40 channels (e.g. with Sequoia, simple sine wave and some VSTs) having an overal CPU load of ~30%, after 5-10mins of playback the sound starts to crackle (first just a few sincle clicks, then it grows and results in an undefined noise).

Doing the same test using just the audio channels of the first card, everything's fine. Even with a CPU load up to 80%.

I re-installed the drivers, did an firmware update for the audio cards, changed the order of the cards at the mainboard,...  but no improvements at all.  :-(

Might this mainboard just not be capable of running 3 AES-32 cards? 

Every card got its own IRQ (18,19,20) - is there anything else related to Bios or OS which I should check?

Thanks for any hint or suggestion, Florian

Re: Performance problems running 3 AES-32 cards

That sounds like you forgot to sync card 2 and 3 to the first one, for example by word clock. ?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Performance problems running 3 AES-32 cards

MC wrote:

That sounds like you forgot to sync card 2 and 3 to the first one, for example by word clock. ?

No, all three cards are synced by an external word clock source (daisy chained). But I'll have a look at this again and check if the word clock works properly.

Thank you, Florian