Topic: Is This Laptop suitable for MadiFace?

Hi Everyone,

FYI Im an RME Newb!

I am looking at getting into livesound recording, and for me the MadiFace looks like the tool for me.

With Mac Book Pro's no longer supporting Express Card Slots (except for the 17" which is physically too big for my needs) I have found what might be a MBP Killer: Sony Vaio CW series.

I will be customizing it to max spec available via sony store online so specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRam
1066MHz FSB
NVidia GEForce GT230M GPU with 512MB Dedicated GDDR3 Ram
14" LCD 1366 x 768 Screen 16:9 Ratio

The machine comes in well under 1000 pounds, with Windows 7.

The only concerning feature to me is that the Firewire port (Sony call it iLink) is a 400.
Am I going to be able to Record 64 Channels of 24 bit 96Khz through that to an external Harddrive?

Can you also suggest specs for a suitable harddrive!?

Any other Laptop Recommendations would be greatly appreciated if this one doesn't suit!

Regards,

Sandy

Re: Is This Laptop suitable for MadiFace?

Sandysound wrote:

The only concerning feature to me is that the Firewire port (Sony call it iLink) is a 400.
Am I going to be able to Record 64 Channels of 24 bit 96Khz through that to an external Harddrive?

No... But that's only because the Madiface will only transfer 32 channels at 96k. But that, or 64 channels at 48k, should be no problem.

Can you also suggest specs for a suitable harddrive!?

Practically any harddrive in the market today will be more than fast enough, be it 3.5 or 2.5".

I've recorded 64 tracks onto an 80-gig 2.5" USB drive which is several years old with a laptop with lower specs...
(http://rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3557)

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Fantastic News smile

Thanks Daniel!

Regards,

Sandy

If you want to check out a new drive, I would certainly recommend the glyph portagig series.  There is now also an SSD version.

http://www.glyphtech.com/

This is the drive presented in the madiface video stickied above.

FYI!

jonathan adams leonard

The Sony Vaios don't come with eSATA, that's what I don't like about them. It's a pity because they have interesting display resolutions.