Topic: new daw

Hello

I want an opinion about what i'm planning to do.
DAW wiith W7 64, Nuendo 4, Intel I7, RME Micstasy and HDSPe Madi.
It's a good option? Micstasy it's a good option for ad/da and mic pre amp?

Thanks in advanced

rperes

Re: new daw

Hi rperes,
the Micstasy has no D/A. Otherwise it's one of the best Preamps on the market, sounds just excellent. If you need more D/A than the HDSPe has (one Stereo), you could either take an ADI-8QS(M) if you want to connect by MADI, or take a cheaper ADI-8DS and connect it by ADAT to the Micstasy. You can set the Micstasy to convert 8 channels from MADI to ADAT (great feature!), this way Nuendo playback will be sent to the analog outputs of the 8DS.
Set up: PC(HDSPe MADI) <---------[Duplex MADI cable]----->Micstasy---[ADAT cable]--->ADI-8DS.
Max

3 (edited by rperes 2009-12-07 01:47:01)

Thanks Max
I already have the ADI-8DS and HDSP 96/52. But now i want to change the Preamp and Daw.
And an advice is always welcome. I only have 6000? to spend in Daw and preamp and a new sound card.
I must do the right choice.

Thanks again Max for your reply.

About the outstanding quality of the Micstasy: Here is a video from the swedish classic label BIS, recording with the Micstasy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERfxPWCW4yM

best regards
Knut

regarding that video:
2 MADIFaces? Were they running two recording systems? My understanding is you would only need, or could only use, one MADIFace card and one breakout box for the 3 Micstasy boxes that they used?

it's quite common to use two recording systems (even if you only needed one). even though it would be enough to copy the files after the recording, you don't want to let the musicians wait if one of your DAWs get's swine flu.
a logical way to connect the two madifaces to three micstasies would be:

madiface 1 optical ---> micstasy 1-----> micstasy 2 -----> micstasy 3----> madiface 1 optical input and madiface 2 coaxial input (since RME MADI devices always carry the MADI signal on both optical and coaxial outputs).

in the movie, they seem to remote control the three micstasies from DAW2 (lower Madiface). that's why they plug the optical output from madiface 2 to the first micstasy.

Right. We got a lot of users with a dual setup. E. g. Depeche Mode using two MADIfaces on their current World Tour. One for backup recording on the stage and one in FOH for recording every show on a VAIO laptop using Reaper. The biggest improvement of such a setup is: Live bands don?t need to soundcheck anymore. The FOH engineer is doing the soundcheck alone in the afternoon with a previous recording of the stage signals via the main digital console (Digico) with a MADI input.

best regard
Knut

Thanks

Best Regards

rperes