Re: Mac OS X Test driver 2.65 for FF 400/800

Correct, SL is Intel only.

102 (edited by Timur 2010-01-15 23:17:50)

Sorry, somewhere in the back of my head I thought there was a way to make SL work on PowerPC despite the official end of support. But I obviously mixed that up with Logic 9.

So just report whether your are using an Intel or NVidia chipset and what Firewire chipset you've got. I cannot check right now, but I think Profiler should report the chipset. And you can follow Daniel's link to find out how to report the Firewire chipset and revision.

Timur wrote:

I'd like to know from the people with crashes/issues: What Firewire chipset is build into your Mac (TI or LSI/Agere)?

Hello!

I have crashes/issues with my FF800 and my MacPro (early 2008), 8GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, Mac OS X 10.6.2, firewire chipset into my macPro:
15/01/10 18.07.17    kernel    FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 823f built-in now active, GUID 001e52fffe62d742; max speed s800.

Ciao,
Marco

Symptoms: core audio hangs followed by system hang once core audio app is force-quit.
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, latest OS, latest Logic Pro, FF400
NVidia / FireWire (OHCI) TI ID

105 (edited by Timur 2010-01-16 00:32:41)

Just to add my own experience: One Kernel Panic when plugging a FF400 into a current 21" Imac with Nvidia chipset and TI Firewire. This happened after a series of successful plugging and unplugging.

I did not check my Macbook Pro with rev. 7 LSI/Agere Firewire yet (have SL installed on HD, but still using Leopard).

106 (edited by alienimplant 2010-01-16 07:22:51)

I think we need to start splitting hairs about what constitutes proper use of the phrase kernel panic. Are you getting the multi-language kernel panic screen (or as in my case a verbose log readout in the final moments of the freeze since I boot always in verbose mode)? Or when the panic occurs can you still get a dialog box when you hit CMD+OPT+ESC? I think we need to state this when we experience instability. Also have you looked at the ALL MESSAGES section of the console log to investigate the seconds surrounding the time of the freeze? I'm learning a lot having done these things as we all share information that sheds light on what the problem systems have in common.

In my situation, I think I have been experiencing two sets of problems. One was arbitrary freezes (real kernel panics) due to the HAL plugin I have since disabled. The other are hangs with activity that seems to be showing up in the system log (but these do not show up in the 'hangs' log). With respect to the RME, the hang we are experiencing seems to be related to core audio waiting for something to happen which never comes. It's not that simple though, because as Logic (or other core audio app) tries to start, you also see failed attempts to load previously verified plugins during the application launch sequence.

Here's some good news: after removing all remnants of JackOSX, today was the first day I have successfully come home from work, plugged in my FF400, launched Logic and not hung at the core audio stage. I'm feeling somewhat optimistic atm, but I'm trying not to get too excited. If you are having RME problems, I would remove any system audio routing hacks you may have installed. JackOSX was definitely one of my problems in terms of specific conflicts with the RME. Core audio was fine with the built in interface and JackOSX installed.

BAD NEWS UPDATE: Crap. I spoke too soon. Although I got through the core audio startup, I am hanging the minute I do anything in Logic. In the console log, I get a similar error for all my plugins as the second one seen here, so there is still a similar core audio problem:

1/16/10 16  12:18:56 AM    /Applications/Fireface Mixer.app/Contents/MacOS/Fireface Mixer[327]    ATS: Invalid FontObjectID (3) - only low 16 bits are being passed in.

1/16/10 16  12:20:32 AM    pkgutil[339]    PackageKit: *** Missing bundle identifier: /Library/Receipts/Alchemy Audio Unit.pkg

Everything works after rebooting. So I guess I am back to square one. I thought it might be a 64-bit Logic mode wrinkle; but since everything works now, I'm back to looking at RME/core audio as the source, and there isn't much I can find in the log that helps. Damn.

vmakinen wrote:

I installed the new driver and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I'll have to take this back. Fireface 400, new quad core iMac. Powering up and down the FF and using sleep mode causes system to hang but the symptoms are somewhat different than before. Before I got the black screen telling me to restart. Now it just hangs the system without the screen (cursor isn't moving etc.). This doesn't happen everytime but it prevents me from using sleep with my mac.

108 (edited by Timur 2010-01-16 11:04:18)

Feel free to comment and correct me on the following definitions, but keep in mind that we are discussing the RME driver here, not OS X definitions.

Kernel Panic: Displays a "Hold Power Button to turn off the computer" message. Gets registered in the log.

OS X Crash: Anything that turns off OS X without displaying the "Hold Power Button" message. You may get a text/terminal screen displaying various CPU register numbers or you may just see the computer turn off/restart. Could or could not be registered in the log.

Computer Freeze: System is not responding in any way and no message is displayed. Most likely wont be registered in the log unless OS X writes something upon the next restart (a frozen system cannot do anything).

Application Crash: One or more applications crash/close either without further notice or with OS X displaying a crash message box (usually offering to report the crash log to Apple). Is registered in the log.

OS X usually can be normally worked on with and the application can be restarted. It may happen that some part of the audio/firewire driver got corrupted/froze (usually not) and a restart of OS X may be necessary to make it work again.

Application Freeze: One or more applications are not responding in any way. You may or may not be able to force the application to quit via ALT-CMD-ESC or Process Monitor. May be registered in the log once you force the application to quit.

OS X keeps responding but may display a beachball of death. OS X may crash or freeze some time after the Application Freeze. It may happen that some part of the audio/firewire driver got corrupted/froze (usually not) and a restart of OS X may be necessary to make it work again.

--

When I did my quick test with the Imac 21" I had a Kernel Panic with "Hold Power Button" message upon plugging in (once out of several otherwise successful tries).

109 (edited by ye 2010-01-16 18:56:03)

Timur wrote:

Kernel Panic, OS X Crash, Computer Freeze, Application Crash, Application Freeze

In the  FW800 context (and only in that)  I already had one Kernel Panic, one Computer Freeze and multiple Application Freezes. The application freezes seamed to be "contagious" as the longer I ignore them the more programs got affected. I got not rid of them, ordinary reboot was also sometimes not possible,... so several hard reset via the power button in this case.

Had a serious system damage because of too many hard resets yesterday.
Recovered from Timemachine backup.
Than deinstalled the FF driver.
MotU Ultralite works perfectly in the meantime.
Will sell my two Fireface 800 and buy a ADI 8 QS-M instead.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

cigame wrote:

Had a serious system damage because of too many hard resets yesterday.
Recovered from Timemachine backup.
Than deinstalled the FF driver.
MotU Ultralite works perfectly in the meantime.
Will sell my two Fireface 800 and buy a ADI 8 QS-M instead.

This is a concern, and one of the reasons I have stopped using my FF800.  I get
system hangs, which require a power-cycle to get back.  The OS and your app(s)
have lots of files open, and lots of things cached; when you pull the rug out from
under it, there is no opportunity for the system to tidy up.

Mac OS is very resilient in this regard (journaling and intelligent coding), but file
damage can occur.

Turning off sleep mode, and either leaving the machine up for extended periods
or shutting down much more frequently than usual, goes against the grain and
is not an acceptable long term (3+ months and counting) solution.

-Wayne

112 (edited by alienimplant 2010-01-19 16:28:16)

I have to take my Mac out of the studio every day. So it's not really a choice for me. I'm F'd. It takes me about 10 minutes to get reconfigured because of various apps I have to launch, even when I'm working on music. I loathe having to go through this every time I want to use my FF. If RME didn't have such good digital clocks, why I'd... ;P

Hi all,

I have a FF400 running with a late 2008 unibody MacBook pro, 2.53 GHz. I am running the Fireface through a Lindy-Repeater with bus-power.
Since installing Snow Leopard I had all sorts of freezes with itunes, logic and flash-videos like youtube, with the red host light turning on at the same time. I had to hard reset after I restarted logic after the FF lost its host-connection.
Installing the 2.65 driver made no difference.

Up to now those problems disappeared after I switched from the onboard graphics card to the GeForce 9600M GT card.

But I guess this workaround would just be to easy...

Michael

114 (edited by Timur 2010-01-20 17:02:35)

Fireface 400, Firmware 1.70, driver 2.65, 17" Macbook Pro (mid 2009) with dedicated graphics (9600M GT), LSI/Agere rev. 7 Firewire chipset, Nvidia 730i/9400M mainboard chipset, Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (fresh installation)

Tested successfully:

1) Plugging in/out in slow and fast succession (bus-powered via Firewire) with:

a. no application loaded
b. audio application loaded (Au Lab, Garage Band, Live 8) *with* playback running over FF400 and onboard sound
c. audio application loaded (Au Lab, Garage Band, Live 8) *without* playback running

2) Sending Mac to sleep and awaking *with* and without audio application loaded, even during playback and input monitoring.

3) Various buffer sizes downto 24 samples.

Problems so far:

1) Once after plugging the FF400 out during playback in Live 8 and plugging it back in Live froze when selecting the FF400 as output again (Beachball of Death on Live application windows).

After trying to force quit via ALT-CMD-ESC and trying to load Process Monitor OS froze with a Beachball of Death (mouse point could be moved, but nothing else was possible, OS X did not even notice me unplugging and replugging my external display). I had to switch off via ALT-CMD-POWER then.

After restart I tried the exact same thing, but it worked. Since I successfully tried the same stunt with Au Lab and Garageband before I suspect a problem with Live rather than the FF for the time being.

2) Obviously my 17" MBP automatically starts Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode, but the FF only comes with a 32-bit Midi driver: "20.01.10 09:21:45    kernel    64 bit mode enabled"

"20.01.10 16:50:46    MIDIServer[244]    MIDIServer [244] starting; arch=x86_64
20.01.10 16:50:46    MIDIServer[244]    PlugIn Fireface MIDI.plugin -- /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/ does not contain a supported architecture.
20.01.10 16:50:46    MIDIServer[244]    MIDIServer relaunching because a 32-bit driver was found
20.01.10 16:50:46    MIDIServer[244]    MIDIServer [244] starting; arch=i386"

3) The following likely minor error comes up every time the FF is plugged in:

"20.01.10 16:41:18    /Applications/Fireface Mixer.app/Contents/MacOS/Fireface Mixer[193]    ATS: Invalid FontObjectID (3) - only low 16 bits are being passed in."

I will do the same tests with onboard graphics (9400M) later. And after that I will test an 27" Imac which hopefully comes with TI chipset like the 21.5" ones that I experienced a kernel panic with once (when plugging the FF400 in).

115 (edited by Timur 2010-01-20 21:55:20)

So I did the same test with the onboard 9400M instead of the dedicated 9600M, but had the same results. Regardless of plugging in and out, fast and slow, during playback or not, sending to sleep. I could not make the LSI equipped Macbook Pro crash, Panic, hang or even have the application misbehave.

One thing I noticed with both tests (unrelated to the problems discussed here though): Garageband does not allow DDS (change of sample-rate) to be used, it will stop playback in less than a second and restart at the old sample-rate (DDS option is automatically unset).

I will have to install more applications to get a more complex setup (Logic 8, whole lots of plugins etc).

Well, Timur. I'd say you did half of RME's homework for them already. TI Firewire and Snow Leopard certainly rings a bell in my studio!

117 (edited by Timur 2010-01-21 03:35:09)

The combination of TI and Windows 7 might still be problematic, too (whereas rev. 7 LSI/Agere seems to work fine so far). Once I set up the TI based Imac with both SL and W7 I will report back.

On the other hand "TheRefuge" reports about problems with a late 2008 MBP which are using the rev. 6 LSI/Agere chips. It might be a cable problem though, maybe he can test the setup in Leopard again or try Windows just to make sure the reported issues (red host light) are really SL related?

vivo wrote:

Okay. I only want to mention that i have had 0 (zero) problems with my fireface on osx 10.6.2 (running in 64 bits mode).
I have a 2008 mac pro 2x 2.8 ghz harpertown and 10 gb ram. Switching off the fireface and switching it on, SLEEP no problems !!

The 2008 mac pro has a Texas Instruments firewire chipset.

Could one of the people with issues please force their Snow Leopard into 64 bit mode (keep pressing the keys 6 and 4 during bootup afaik)?

Timur wrote:

The combination of TI and Windows 7 might still be problematic, too (whereas rev. 7 LSI/Agere seems to work fine so far). Once I set up the TI based Imac with both SL and W7 I will report back.

On the other hand "TheRefuge" reports about problems with a late 2008 MBP which are using the rev. 6 LSI/Agere chips. It might be a cable problem though, maybe he can test the setup in Leopard again or try Windows just to make sure the reported issues (red host light) are really SL related?

My problems only started after updating from Leopard to Snow Leopard in September. I was running Logic 8 under Leopard without any problems.
I am running Windows Vista 64bit (home premium) under Bootcamp, as well. After applying your fantastic tweaking guide it is running pretty well with low latency (not  nearly as low as under MacOs, though). Thanks for that! There were some hiccups under Windows, though, were Windows sometimes defaulted to the onboard sound once I started playing a game. This was fixed by plugging in the FF400 after starting Windows.
And to make things complicated, the host-light issue (same as under MacOs) started when I played Torchlight from Windows. Haven't had issues with other games.

And please take my report with a grain of salt, it is nowhere near as clinical as your investigations! I don't want to lead you on a wrong track...

Let me know if I can do anything to help resolving the issue.

Michael

Timur wrote:
vivo wrote:

Okay. I only want to mention that i have had 0 (zero) problems with my fireface on osx 10.6.2 (running in 64 bits mode).
I have a 2008 mac pro 2x 2.8 ghz harpertown and 10 gb ram. Switching off the fireface and switching it on, SLEEP no problems !!

The 2008 mac pro has a Texas Instruments firewire chipset.

Could one of the people with issues please force their Snow Leopard into 64 bit mode (keep pressing the keys 6 and 4 during bootup afaik)?

You are absolutely right. Starting in 64 bit mode and all problems seem to be gone.
Mac Pro 2xQuad 2,26 Ghz  2009, 6 GB Ram.
Will keep the machine starting in 64 and see how everything else works.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=4716&tag=rbxccnbzd1
Had to chance the rights before I could edit in TextEdit and put them back to default with Diskutility.
Thank you!

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

I'm curious how this turns out for you Cigame, because I must have misinterpreted that console message about my MBP going into 64-bit mode, it was *not* (I forced it into 64-bit now via 6+4 keys and checked Profiler).

Furthermore I tested one of the new 27" Imac (TI based FW, ATI 4850 dedicated graphics in 32-bit mode now and upto now could not make it panic or anything. I tried connecting/disconnecting, switching on/off, sleep/wake up (with and without switching on/off and cable connect/disconnect), playing system sounds, playing a youtube flash while playing garage band (while doing a combination of the former). No instabilities whatsoever.

In a few days I will get another 21" Imac with Nvidia 9400M onboard graphic. One of those paniced once when I connected the FF400, so maybe I can make this one to reproducably panic.

I also tried the 64-bit kernel.
I had one computer freeze when pluging in the fireface while DVD player was running. But I was not able to reproduce it. It was the only problem during two days.

MacBook Pro 13" (5.5), 4GB, 10.6.2, fireface 800 driver 2.65

123 (edited by ye 2010-01-26 10:43:30)

64-bit kernel Update:  Today I got also application freezes that forced a hard restart.

I did nothing audio related (mail, writing, Safari), I yesterday left the FF800 plugged in the Mac and put it to sleep, then started working again today, after 1-2 hours I got the freeze sad

@ye

I have my FF400 on buspower on my macpro (only because my power adapter died).

So without power adapter. Maybe you could try if that differs ? For i have no problems with my fireface 400

I'm running my FF800 on a macbook pro 3.06 GHz with 4 GB RAM. When I upgraded to Logic 9.1 I started having problems finding the interface and logic freezing but with this update it seems to be working better. Thanks.

/B

Once I find time I will do another testrun with the external power-supply, because all of my tests have been done with bus-power as well. Not that it should matter, but you never know.

I'm also curious if the non-european power-supplies provide the FF400 with different output voltage than the european ones? Were are people coming from that experience problems, from 110v countries or from 230v countries?

Timur wrote:

I'm also curious if the non-european power-supplies provide the FF400 with different output voltage than the european ones? Were are people coming from that experience problems, from 110v countries or from 230v countries?

The PSU is the same everywhere, it's a switching power supply that will accept 100 - 240 V or so.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I thought so, thanks for the info. Without reading through the whole thread again: did any of the people experiencing the issues try bus-powered operation yet?

About 64 bit Kernel mode: Just want to remind you that many of the early Intel Macs don't have a 64 bit EFI. My 1st gen. MacPro for example doesn't, so I won't be able to start it in 64 bit Kernel mode. Hence, the 64 bit drivers from RME will never be running here. Still, I can of course operate a 64 bit Logic that uses 32 bit RME drivers - and I did successfully. But the freezes are still there as long as I start the Fireface after my Mac.

What seems to be forgotten in the long discussion:

- It worked nicely under OS X 10.5, so it can't be the chipset.
- Other brands still seem to work (or so I hear), so it can't be a general problem under 10.6.x
- In the beginning, a few of us talked about problems from 4 GB of RAM onward or above 4 GB. Nobody ever talked about this again. So, are there people with less than 4 GB who also have these problems? If not: Did RME check this?

Best regards,

Christian

We are trying to pinpoint the circumstances that lead to the issues or that save from them. I did my successful test on a 4 gb MBP and an 8 gb IMac.

That being said my tests were far from exhaustive. For example, I didn't let the OS/FF run for more than 2 hours at a time to see if crashing occurs after some time. I will do that once I find time and will also recheck the 21.5" Imac (4 gb) that I experienced one Kernel Panic with.

131 (edited by alienimplant 2010-01-26 15:45:15)

MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6GB of RAM, latest OS, latest Logic Pro, FF400, NVidia / FireWire (OHCI) TI ID

I still have the freezing and hanging problems if I don't reboot before the second use in most cases.

I'm just asking but...WILL IT EVER WORK ONE DAY ????

http://www.grooveyardrecords.com/tristankleinuniversalmojo.html

133 (edited by Timur 2010-01-27 12:50:25)

Does anyone here experience the problem who does *not* have Logic Pro installed? The one Kernel Panic I had on the Imac 21.5" was *without* Logic being installed, but I wonder about other people?

Here, on Macpro 2008, I only have freezes if I turn on my FF400 after turning on my Snow Leopard. The FF is working with bus power.
No problems after turning on FF first, and then turning on the macpro. Even if I go to sleep mode, and then turn on again, I get no freezes.

P.

FF400 Bus powered|MacPro 2008-2,8x8core-16Gb ram|Mountain Lion 10.8.4

Do you get "freezes" (stall display and mouse pointer, no reaction anymore) or do you get a "Kernel Panic" (message popup telling you to turn off power)?

Sorry, I get freezes, and I can only do a hard restart... no response from computer, mouse or keyboard.

P.

Piper, what if you hit Command+Option+Escape. Do you see the option to quit (even though you still won't be able to do anything)?

That's interesting about bus power vs outlet power. Since I'm on a MacBook Pro, I have to use outlet power. So far, this leads me to assume that there is a relationship between this problem, the TI FW chipset and, outlet powering of FF. In other words, perhaps it could be a power supply issue. Wild guess of course.

The freeze problems are also with FF800... I don't think that this is power supply issue.

If the issue were related to power, I would only expect issues with (potentially insufficient or unstable) bus power. But this would not concern the FF800 at all...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ah, bummer. Thanks for the reply. Still, it's intriguing that a user doesn't have a problem during buss power, but does otherwise while I only have the option of outlet power.

alienimplant wrote:

Piper, what if you hit Command+Option+Escape. Do you see the option to quit (even though you still won't be able to do anything)?

That's interesting about bus power vs outlet power. Since I'm on a MacBook Pro, I have to use outlet power. So far, this leads me to assume that there is a relationship between this problem, the TI FW chipset and, outlet powering of FF. In other words, perhaps it could be a power supply issue. Wild guess of course.

No, I can't do that, I get a "polar" freeze!

P.

RME Support wrote:

If the issue were related to power, I would only expect issues with (potentially insufficient or unstable) bus power. But this would not concern the FF800 at all...

It would be expected that way, yes. But like so often in computer problem solving we are approaching the point where (in a car analogy) we are trying to find out if the headlights affect the steering. And knowing how bad the Macbook's grounding is I can well imagine the Firewire chipset's power to be affected by an external power-circuit.

Especially the latest report about a complete computer freeze makes me suspicious. This usually only happens because of some power regulation issues (or heat issue which again affects power regulations). Some transistor in the CPU, memory or whatever doesn't get its electrons the way it should and thus stalls the whole system.

The alternative would be some system/driver call to be stuck so hard in a loop that it keeps the whole system from responding, but I wouldn't expect something like this happening in modern software/operating-systems.

143 (edited by alienimplant 2010-01-27 20:03:10)

LOLOL. Precisely, Timur! I'm starting to enjoy your posts a little too much, and I concur with your perspective.

PS: When I first read "We're all mad in here..." many moons ago, I thought "YEAH, we are?oh wait... that's a signature. Hahaha"

Timur wrote:

Does anyone here experience the problem who does *not* have Logic Pro installed? The one Kernel Panic I had on the Imac 21.5" was *without* Logic being installed, but I wonder about other people?

Me! I currently use the FF only for playback. No commercial audio software installed on my mac.

alienimplant wrote:

LOLOL. Precisely, Timur! I'm starting to enjoy your posts a little too much, and I concur with your perspective.

Glad you like the posts! On other forums people tend to find my posts to long, but I'm comparatively efficient here. wink (My name was just again quoted on the Ableton forum with the notion: TL;DR = too long, didn't read) wink

PS: When I first read "We're all mad in here..." many moons ago, I thought "YEAH, we are?oh wait... that's a signature. Hahaha"

fryingpan It's so very fitting for most forum stuff, but originally it's a stolen quote from the game "American McGee's Alice" which unfortunately will never be made into a movie now that the Tim Burton one is coming. Nevertheless I'm happy about the Burton one as well. cool

ye wrote:
Timur wrote:

Me! I currently use the FF only for playback. No commercial audio software installed on my mac.

Thanks for the report. I will have to do some more testing here, but I wont have enough time before next week and in between I get distracted by other interests (just published a comparison of Windows XP/Vista/W7/OS X memory usage on Gearslutz to hopefully finally end the discussions about the *best* OS DeadHorse).

Timur, you are family! :]

148 (edited by Logico 2010-01-31 19:39:52)

Piper wrote:

Here, on Macpro 2008, I only have freezes if I turn on my FF400 after turning on my Snow Leopard. The FF is working with bus power.
No problems after turning on FF first, and then turning on the macpro.

Same here on a MacPro 2009, even with the latest drivers... I don't get a kernel panic but I have to (hard) reboot after Logic hangs at "Initializing CoreAudio" and subsequently freezes the whole system...

Piper wrote:

Even if I go to sleep mode, and then turn on again, I get no freezes.

Really? What's the precise procedure? Do you turn off the FF400? If so, before or after sending the Mac into stand-by (and in which order do you wake 'em up)?

@RME: do you have debug version of the FF driver that provides extensive logging? I would be willing do run that if it helps as I can perfectly reproduce the freeze problem using the steps described above.

On a related note: does anyone know why there is no "lost+found" directory (anymore?) after HFS/fsck removed orphaned file and directories? How to tell the impact of such a filesystem recovery following each FF/CoreAudio crash?

Thanks

FF400 v1.69/v2.71 (bus powered) | MacPro 2009/8-core/12 GB/TI | 10.6.3 (32) | Logic 9.1.1 (64)

I had the same problems when rebooting my Mac in 64-bit mode. Didn't make a difference.

Logico wrote:
Piper wrote:

Even if I go to sleep mode, and then turn on again, I get no freezes.

Really? What's the precise procedure? Do you turn off the FF400? If so, before or after sending the Mac into stand-by (and in which order do you wake 'em up)?

Update: I tried Piper's workaround. These are my results (using Logic's 64 bit version):
1) Works: FF startup --> Mac boot --> Mac sleep --> Mac wakeup --> Launch Logic
2) Works: FF startup --> Mac boot --> Mac sleep --> FF shutdown --> FF startup --> Mac wake up --> Launch Logic
3) Freeze: FF startup --> Mac boot --> FF shutdown --> FF startup --> Launch Logic (behavior like FF startup after Mac boot)

By the way, I also tested whether the buggy DVCPROHDAudio.plugin could be causing these freezes as reported earlier in a similar context. Unfortunately that didn't help...

Cheers

FF400 v1.69/v2.71 (bus powered) | MacPro 2009/8-core/12 GB/TI | 10.6.3 (32) | Logic 9.1.1 (64)