401 (edited by Feuergesicht 2010-05-15 17:40:53)

Re: Mac OS X Test driver 2.65 for FF 400/800

Simulacra wrote:

you mean version 2.65 ?
thats an old driver, latest is 2.66.
i guess you did a fresh install of the driver and now you experience the "lucky first time".
please report if it still works after a reboot.

it is announced as 2.65 but the folder that I've downloaded under the link and the fireface setting/about says it is 2.67

and it works like a charm, I just did a reboot to verify it. And yes, I did a clean install- I removed the old driver and the related files as described by rme before.

hth

edit: it is just about the issue that when the mac is running and I switch on the FF the mac hangs and I had to make a reboot. This behaviour is remedied (for me) with the new driver.  I do not other things like trying to change drivers while running Logic and so forth...

thank you feuergesicht, its working here as well with 2.67.
(the settings and mixer still doesnt start automatically)

403 (edited by Feuergesicht 2010-05-16 08:46:45)

Simulacra wrote:

thank you feuergesicht, its working here as well with 2.67.
(the settings and mixer still doesnt start automatically)

settings and mixer start here automatically...

Did you remove all old files before install as described?

quote:

Just send all the files listed below to the Trash.

/Applications/Fireface Mixer
/Applications/Fireface Settings
/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/Fireface MIDI.plugin
/System/Library/Extensions/FirefaceAudioDriver.kext
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Fireface folder
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.rme.FirefaceMixer.plist
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.rme.FirefaceSettings.plist

When using the new Snow Leopard driver also delete:
/Library/LaunchAgents/de.rme-audio.firefaceAgent.plist

Thanks Feuergesicht,

Your directions for un-installing were quite helpful !

2.67 seems to have resolved the freeze issue for me also (the settings and mixer do start automatically for me)

and thanks for discovering this hidden driver........................why isn't any one at RME mentioning this?

Just wondering?

I'am currently using the FF 400 buspowered (on work in Vienna). Yesterday I had a single freeze again but could not reproduce it fortunatly.
Just for the records...

Cheers

Where can I download the new version 2.67?
In RME download page I only find version 2.66.

Thanks in advance!
Yoav

it still says 265 but its 267 when you unpack it.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fi … 86_265.zip

Thanks!
Should I uninstall the previous version before installing 2.67? How can I do this?

Thanks in advance,
Yoav

reading backwards in this thread...

Hi there,

One month ago I downgraded back to Leopard and 2.62a and everything works perfect!

When I was reading about the 2.67 driver I completely removed the Fireface driver and installed Snow Leopard (with all available updates).

Then I installed 2.67 and it seemed that this could solve the bug, but then I woke up my Mac, started iTunes and it froze again.

Fortunately I have a Time Machine Backup.

Is there any news from Apple regarding this issue. Last comment is more than 1 month old.

Michael

jai suivi scrupuleusement les instructions concernant la desinstalation de l'ancien logiciel 2.6.6 ,puis jai installer 2.6.7 ,chez moi cela ne changer rien au probl?me ,jai toujours le m?me probl?me de g?le du mac,quand ce probl?me va t'il ?tre v?ritablement r?gl??
jai scrupulously followed the instructions for the old software desinstalas 2.6.6
And jai install 2.6.7, it does not change with me from the problem then, I still the same problem
of the mac freezes when the problem is he going to be really settled?

slimboni wrote:

2.67 seems to have resolved the freeze issue for me also (the settings and mixer do start automatically for me)

Spoke too soon sad     Fired up iTunes with Logic9 open and I get a Crash!

Manual power-down! Frustrating!

seems like the fresh install of no matter what driver fixes it for some reboots only.
sooner or later it goes back to the freezer.

414 (edited by Feuergesicht 2010-05-18 20:47:25)

@slimboni

I think for the RME-Guys it would be helpful if you describe more exactly what leads to the freeze and what Hard- & Software do you use. Also more details about which Hardware & Programms do you start in which order.
From your (comic-like) last post one can only guess what your problem is.

cheers

@ Feuergesicht

Read back a few pages and you'll see i've mentioned my hardware and software.

I've also referred to previous post's which means my scenario has already been mentioned and I've opted to not repeat what has already been said.

There is plenty of info for the RME guys on this 9 page thread.

Cheers

situation gets out of control, RME save us users with a clean driver before we kill each other wink

slimboni wrote:

@ Feuergesicht

Read back a few pages and you'll see i've mentioned my hardware and software.

I've also referred to previous post's which means my scenario has already been mentioned and I've opted to not repeat what has already been said.

There is plenty of info for the RME guys on this 9 page thread.

Cheers

oops, sorry, I overlooked it

well, I read that 10.6.4 is fast approaching. does it contain what you need to fix the Fireface?

+ 1 on that that Question.

Standing by................over!

hey, RME? any news???

http://ilyasobol.com

Hi. Just to chip in that I'm running 10.6.2 with driver 2.66 FF400 with Logic 9.1 and it's stable (in 32 and 64 bit). I previously had problems with 'red host light' syndrome' but since I went to this configuration it's been good. I run the FF400 off the power adaptor, turn it on before booting the Mac, and seldom sleep the computer. I run Onyx every time I shut the computer down.

I know that doesn't really help those with problems but I feel it's worth RME hearing about instances where it's working ok too.

I hope those with problems get sorted out soon!

Mac Pro 2.8 GHz 8-core Early 2008 - 10.6.4 - 14GB
RME FF400 - Driver 2.89
Logic 9.1.3 64-bit

Hi,

got the same issue with the FF400 - hot plug in everything looks fine - until you start any application connected to the FF (even system preferences audio crashes the mac). I did the reinstall with the new driver described by "Feuergesicht" and it worked about two or three days perfect with hot plugging. But unfortunately now the failure returned.
Also curious if 10.6.4 will probably helpful.

chris

Modellname:    MacBook Pro
Modell-Identifizierung:    MacBookPro3,1
Prozessortyp:    Intel Core 2 Duo
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit:    2,2 GHz
Speicher:    4 GB
Busgeschwindigkeit:    800 MHz
Boot-ROM-Version:    MBP31.0070.B07
Systemversion:    Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D573)
Kernel-Version:    Darwin 10.3.0

Dear RME,
a more proactive and explicit approach on this very important issue would be very much appreciated by your customers!

Hi,
I want to purchase a Fireface 400. After reading a lot of comments about driver problems with 10.6 in this forum I am not sure what to do and confused. I have a new iMac 27" i5 with TI chipset and want to run Logic Express 9 on 10.6.3. It seems that the TI chipset will cause no problems. Is the fireface working correct if it's switched on before I turn on the mac? Thanks.

chaka wrote:

Is the fireface working correct if it's switched on before I turn on the mac? Thanks.

Yes

cheers  o

Thank you so much Feuergesicht you ended my misery!!
My fireface 400 stopped working with 10.6 and I tried everything I could think of - reinstalling snow leopard, reinstalling the FF driver, but nothing worked until I erased all the files you listed, so I would strongly suggest that everyone does a full uninstall as Feuergesicht describes.
cheers
d

427 (edited by Feuergesicht 2010-05-31 12:07:22)

lowstar wrote:

Thank you so much Feuergesicht you ended my misery!!
My fireface 400 stopped working with 10.6 and I tried everything I could think of - reinstalling snow leopard, reinstalling the FF driver, but nothing worked until I erased all the files you listed, so I would strongly suggest that everyone does a full uninstall as Feuergesicht describes.
cheers
d

Unfortunatly I made the same experience described by chriz, after a clean (re)install of the latest driver everything worked fine again for a few days (means also turning on the ff after the mac works as before) than the mac started crashing again...

cheers o

I made a clean reinstall of 2.66 and had no change. I upgraded to a version linked here somewhere in this thread, called "2.67", but the same problems persisted. I get beachballs and crashes that can only be resolved by holding the powerbutton for 10 seconds (MacBook Pro 17", 2009 model) after hot plugging the ff400.

Any news on 10.6.4 or any other signs for hope?

Yes, please tell if 10.6.4 is going to solve this? I think 9 months is a long time to get a driver right..?

Mac Pro 8-core (Early 2008), 6 GB RAM. Fireface 800. Logic 9.1.1, OS X 10.6.3

StressedOut wrote:

Yes, please tell if 10.6.4 is going to solve this? I think 9 months is a long time to get a driver right..?

+1

Wow. Just ran into this w/ a FF400 on a Mac pro quad. After completely freezing the system and a hard reboot, Logic wouldn't load without crashing! Had to completely uninstall all RME drivers (per instructions) AND trash all Logic prefs in order to get it to load again. This is one very ugly bug. Definitely considering selling the unit and moving on to something else at this point. 9 months to address an issue this big is simply inexcusable.

432 (edited by Logico 2010-05-31 20:01:26)

StressedOut wrote:

Not unless Apple acknowledges the problem (there is an open bug report) and starts working with RME. This is a standard issue with proprietary/closed-source systems (in this case Mac OS), you depend on other people's mercy.

Cheers

FF400 v1.69/v2.71 (bus powered) | MacPro 2009/8-core/12 GB/TI | 10.6.3 (32) | Logic 9.1.1 (64)

Your history list is wrong.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6569

Post 23, 10/29/2009. At that time we already had a support case opened with Apple, which included giving them the details and the source code of our driver.

Also note that when all started it was a confusing mixture of driver update, the Apple installer not deleting or only deleting driver files, and users with different problems.

Logico was (is) a big help as he was not only able to reproduce the error 100%, but also knows how to help us with debugging the error in a professional way. What you don't read here is that we work with several people non-public to fix this. Currently we are testing a new driver with this group which solves one bug again, the rest is under examination.

BTW, I did not document the bug in April 2010, that was a developer of Apple Germany (one of many others who uses a Fireface) who opened another support case.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6569

Post 23, 10/29/2009. At that time we already had a support case opened with Apple, which included giving them the details and the source code of our driver.

Also note that when all started it was a confusing mixture of driver update, the Apple installer not deleting or only deleting driver files, and users with different problems.

Logico was (is) a big help as he was not only able to reproduce the error 100%, but also knows how to help us with debugging the error in a professional way. What you don't read here is that we work with several people non-public to fix this. Currently we are testing a new driver with this group which solves one bug again, the rest is under examination.

BTW, I did not document the bug in April 2010, that was a developer of Apple Germany (one of many others who uses a Fireface) who opened another support case.

Pretty hard to debug code if Apple won't provide the source (which Microsoft will provide), or pay much attention (as they are getting more revenue from their other toys).

I've been waiting to upgrade to 10.6 because of this issue. 

1. Is there a list of computers that exhibit this problem?  I've got a 2008 Mac Pro, so I'm a bit concerned.

2. If I were to try 10.6 out (making a Carbon Copy of my drive so that I could go back), is the new bios flash with the latest driver compatible with 10.5, in case I need to revert?  (I suppose I'll wait until your new driver update and 10.6.4)

3. Are there any issues with flashing the FF400 BIOS many times?  I'd hate to take a perfectly good unit and turn it into a doorstop.

Thanks!

One of these days again: Once in a while, the FF800 won't be recognized AT ALL! I've worked around our bug for months now, usually successfully. But today, like only once before, I turned on the FF800 and THEN my MacPro. But the red host light stays on today. Three restarts and and cold start from the very beginning didn't help.

So maybe today, I'm completely without my audio interface or maybe it's recognized with the NEXT restart, you never know.

Boy, does THAT get on my nerves now... Finally a holiday, finally some time, and yet again a kick in the head.

*SNIFF*

Christian

yeah ....would be nice if someone from RME could speak for a moment about this mess ...i getting into a feeling nothing happens in background ...any news ??? 10.6.4 will fix it ?? is there communication with apple ??? any feedback ??? thx ....i would not recommend RME hardware on mac for nobody ...sorry ...this is bad ...

MAC PRO 4.1 2.26x8 11GB / MACBOOK PRO 15" 3.1 / FF400 2.72 / SL 10.6.4

remure wrote:

yeah ....would be nice if someone from RME could speak for a moment about this mess ...i getting into a feeling nothing happens in background ...any news ??? 10.6.4 will fix it ?? is there communication with apple ??? any feedback ??? thx ....i would not recommend RME hardware on mac for nobody ...sorry ...this is bad ...

You haven't even read the previous ten posts in this thread... HeadScratch

FF400 v1.69/v2.71 (bus powered) | MacPro 2009/8-core/12 GB/TI | 10.6.3 (32) | Logic 9.1.1 (64)

"You haven't even read the previous ten posts in this thread..."

i did actually ...and i wrote some ...still not working since december ...so .....??? maybe i expect to much smile

439 (edited by Logico 2010-06-03 09:25:30)

scottkrk wrote:

Have you experienced similar issues as the one described by Christian & myself?

No, I can't remember seeing this problem using my stable-setup (see signature) or a FF800. I think I experienced that issue once during my debugging sessions but that could have been caused by anything, including the test/debug drivers. Please note that our setup differs with regards to the Mac itself. To me this sounds like a transient firewire bus or device issue that might even be unrelated to the FF800 (just an educated guess). Please update to 10.6.3 if you haven't done this yet. Which firewire controller is used in your Mac Pro model?

Cheers

MC wrote:

Thank you very much for your clarification!
Kai

MC, I hope you don't misunderstand me (or us) when we complain. I LOVE the hardware, and I'm working on it as a professional everyday. It's just a big, big annoying problem coming to the studio and getting kernel panics once a week in a totally random pattern. The log always says it's the Fireface drivers that caused it so I know they are to blame. And I always send them to Apple. But I understand it's hard to troubleshoot because it's so random.

But the point is that I paid for the device and I depend on it for my livelihood so it's really important to have it working properly, therefore the frustration. I'm really hoping this can be solved soon.

Mac Pro 8-core (Early 2008), 6 GB RAM. Fireface 800. Logic 9.1.1, OS X 10.6.3

When I originally bought my FF400, I 'thought' that RME actually wrote at least part of the firewire drivers, and thus worked 'better' than the competing products.   They were the ones who really locked it all down and had great accuracy and zero problems.

Did I just pull that thought out of the air, or is RME doing something with Firewire that is different from what other companies do?

Are other companies that use the Firewire port also having similar problems?

Is there a 3rd party PCIe firewire interface card that can be added to a Mac Pro to get around the problem?

MacProFF400User wrote:

When I originally bought my FF400, I 'thought' that RME actually wrote at least part of the firewire drivers [...]

Just a short note: a driver can be considered an interface between two entities, in this case the hardware and the OS. The part that controls the hardware is almost certainly not the problem here. The part that interacts with the host OS seems to be the culprit. The reason for this is (most likely) that Apple changed significant pieces of its 10.6 firewire implementation but DOES NOT provide any debug kernel extensions, documentation or code samples specific to 10.6 (and its changes respectively). So, in case you run into problems on 10.6 you're pretty much on your own - or depend on Apple to help you directly which is being tried as mentioned earlier. If RME competitors didn't experience any 10.6 transition problems, good for them. As far as I can tell RME is doing what's in their power to find a solution to this nasty issue...

Cheers

Logico wrote:

As far as I can tell RME is doing what's in their power to find a solution to this nasty issue...

Cheers

I'm sure they are.  Hard to believe (well, maybe easy with Jobs in power), that Apple won't release source to their developers as Microsoft does?

I was in a situation like this once 28 years ago, didn't have the source and traced the instructions on an HP logic analyzer (and found a very stupid programming error in the code of the folks who wouldn't provide their source).  But - in that case, it failed every time, which is a whole lot easier to fix than an intermittent failure.

So - my sympathies are with RME.

Hopefully, they can find some rock star who knows Jobs personally to plead the case for some support?  Except for Logic and some Final Cut Pro editing (which I can mostly handle with Premiere), I've been trying to move away from Apple anyway.  And Apple could probably care less with their iPad selling so well.   Ahhhhh!

MacProFF400User wrote:

Hard to believe (well, maybe easy with Jobs in power), that Apple won't release source to their developers as Microsoft does?

Don't get me wrong: they do in general, however, not specifically for the firewire implementation of their current OS version (you can't use the 10.5 components for 10.6 debugging!) ed:

We hope it's time to de-stick this thread - driver 2.71 has been released.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fireface_x86.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I gave the new driver a short try.
The good news.. no freezes  (up to now).

I still get a problem when I pull the firewire cable during playback (say itunes or something like that):
- sound swtsches to internal speakers.
- I plug in the firewire cable again ... I get sound-output for a fraction of a second on the gear attached to the Fireface.
- mixer and settings windows relaunch and silence. No way to get the sound back. Not by quiting and relaunching the applications. Not by loging out and back in, only after restart Sound is back on the FF.

OS 10.6.3 MacBook Pro 13" 4GB FF800

MC wrote:

We hope it's time to de-stick this thread - driver 2.71 has been released.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fireface_x86.zip

hey ....seems to work better ....its now possible to connect FF400 while OS is runnig >> no craches ...but its till a little thing :: if i reconnect FF400 (audio is playing all the time) there is no audio from FF until i switch the sample rate in audio midi or RMEs panel ....great ...!! much better !!!

ye wrote:

I gave the new driver a short try.
The good news.. no freezes  (up to now).

I still get a problem when I pull the firewire cable during playback (say itunes or something like that):
- sound swtsches to internal speakers.
- I plug in the firewire cable again ... I get sound-output for a fraction of a second on the gear attached to the Fireface.
- mixer and settings windows relaunch and silence. No way to get the sound back. Not by quiting and relaunching the applications. Not by loging out and back in, only after restart Sound is back on the FF.

OS 10.6.3 MacBook Pro 13" 4GB FF800

Tried this too with the FF 400 turning it on and off during iTunes playback. Sound goes on for a few seconds before the driver panels have loaded, and then off again. Changing the samplerate (as mentioned also already) puts everything working again.

Everything seems to fully work without problems now, so lets hope this driver update will fix the freezing bug finally for everyone.

If so, many thanks RME for at least finally solving this issue. smile

now we finally have what we paid for moths ago and we should be happy ?

it works.

but I won't thank anybody for this. it took 8 months to the compagny to fix a problem on their product and every answer they gave my was highly unpleasant.

the product rules. people sucks, and I will let it know to anybody who asks me what gear I use ( and it's a lot )

http://www.grooveyardrecords.com/tristankleinuniversalmojo.html