Topic: Legacy FireWire Driver with the New F ireFace 400 Driver or not

I am using a FireFace 400 under Windows 7. With the latest driver do I still need to use the Legacy Firewire Driver or should I now select the default Firewire Driver?

Re: Legacy FireWire Driver with the New F ireFace 400 Driver or not

Just try. If it doesn't work change back.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

As of driver version 2.998 you don't need to use the legacy firewire driver

Tnadav, I wouldn't count on that. Last week I did a quick test with a new Imac 21" and Windows 7 Enterprise RTM. The Imac uses a Texas Instrument based Firewire chipset and I had to turn the Windows driver to "(legacy)" in order to make it work even while using the latest Fireface driver 2.9991.

What was the problem with the new imac? crackling?
/Uwe

As far as I remember the DAWs could not access the Fireface at all (DAW stalled for several minutes, playback could not be started).

I will have access to both the 21" and 27" Imacs soon again. I will test them and report back.

7 (edited by Timur 2010-01-04 12:10:29)

I checked again, only the "(legacy)" driver works on the 21" Imac with TI chipset on Windows 7 RTM Enterprise 32-bit. Using FF400 driver 2.9991.

The other two drivers allow the FF Settings and Totalmix to load, but no audio is output from neither Ableton Live (ASIO, DirectX/Wave) nor Windows Media Player nor Windows Mixer (no sound when clicking on the Master fader).

Furthermore when chosing the ASIO driver in Live it takes a second or two and Live's CPU meter stays empty (not even showing 0%).

Question is if there are any more differences between the RTM and the final product. I will install Windows 7 Business/Professional 64-bit on these machines now. If you think it helps I can install the FF drivers again to check for possible differences!?