Topic: Problem with Windows7

Hi there!

I?ve just installed the new Windows 7 Ultimate and all is good except... After I download the new driver (from rme-audio.de website) and install the drivers Windows ask me to reboot. After reboot... puff! the blue screen!

The system can't boot. Only after Windows erase the new RME drivers :-(

What to do?

Re: Problem with Windows7

This same thing happened to me this morning. Clean Win 7 install, Win 7 sees the pci card, tries to install generic Microsoft driver, I try to install latest RME/Win 7 driver, re-boot, blue screen, enter safe mode, remove driver, Win 7 happy again. No RME Multiface, though. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

How exactly did you install? Sounds like forced manual installation to me...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have a PCI card and Mutliface 1. (which has always worked fine on a variety of other systems over the years.) I installed the RME PCI card this morning to a clean Win 7 install (after downloading all the latest RME drivers to my desktop). When I booted, Win 7 did not prompt me for drivers, but installed its own generic driver. The PCI card appeared in the Device Manager as an "unknown audio device". I then attempted to "update driver", using the 3.081 driver (from the desktop folder). It seemed to take, but told me I need to re-boot; once re-booted, it gave me a system error message and blue screen. Entering Device Manager via "safe mode" I can now see the RME driver has been associated with the card, but the system won't re-boot unless I remove the RME driver.

Thanks for looking at the message so quickly. If that's "forced manual installation" I'm guilty, but I'm not sure what you mean. As ever, any help is appreciated.

Daniel -

A suggestion.  Why don't you post SPECIFIC step-by-step instructions on how to install the RME driver on Windows 7?

Please don't point us to that old document that has the steps for Windows XP which are totally different and completely useless.

If RME could give us a tried and tested procedure specific to Windows 7, then some of this churn could possibly be prevented.

Just a thought...

Regards,
John

6 (edited by druboogie 2010-01-15 02:24:16)

I just encountered this problem with win 7 32bit, and I got it working again. This was after flashing the hammerfall. What I did was this:

1.) unplug the hammerfall unit from the firewire
2.) uninstall the 3 sound drivers
3.) reboot
4.) win 7 reinstalls the other two drivers anyway...I dont know what they are. Might be different on your motherboard. But in mi win 7, the RME shows up in "other devices" as a sound device-just without the name.
5.) I installed the RME sound driver as per the RME instructions
6.) shutdown the pc
7.) connected the hammerfall unit
8.) restart the pc
9.) watch the red host light go out as windows starts - means its working
10.) check the sound recording and playback devices, and magically the RME shows up there, and is already chosen.

I wrestled with this for hours today and finally figured it out.

Hope this helps Floring.

I had the same issue too today.  Specifically:
- I boot up Win7 (64bit) with my HDSP 9632 installed.
- Win7 auto-installs a driver and refers to the card as "High Definition Audio Device".
- I then go to "Update Driver", select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and then "Have Disk".
- I chose the HDSP 9632 driver and then rebooted after it installed.

This resulted in a blue screen of death on boot up, so I uninstalled via safe mode and tried the installation again (I believe using the driver from the disc that came with the card, instead of the latest driver).  I got the same blue screen so I went back to safe mode for the uninstall and thought I had uninstalled all offending instances of this driver.  On reboot, Win7 did it's auto-driver install but this time prompted me to reboot.  After rebooting, now the card/driver is there and all seems to be working fine (version 3.0.8.2).  I don't understand what solved the problem, but maybe this info will help with finding a solution.  I would have also expected the driver version to be the older one from the disc since it's the last one that I chose to install, but I guess Windows decided to use the latest version that exists on my system.

Thanks,
Sean

Thanks all for answering. I still can't get it to fly, though, even after having tried the helpful approaches mentioned above...

RME Support wrote:

How exactly did you install? Sounds like forced manual installation to me...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

You DO realize, don't you, that Windows 7 has no other way EXCEPT "forced manual installation" with these particular drivers.  Unless there's some UNDOCUMENTED feature that we don't know about...?

That's pretty much wrong. The old 'forced' installation is still there, no longer listed in the Control Panel, but under Device Manager. Select your computer, then the Action menu will have two new entries - surprise surprise...

Regarding your former comment: the old instructions are still valid, except for one little thing. See here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7348

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I was finally able to get mine to work. For whatever reasons, my device didn't show up under "Sound and Video" devices and it didn't occur to me to look elsewhere. Once I found it, I was able to sort it out. Thanks everyone.

12 (edited by ROCKINROG 2010-04-17 01:55:35)

Just to add to this topic: If you find that the mixer hdsp.exe is crashing just find it in the system32 folder, right click on it and run it in XPSP3 compatability mode and it works fine. My mixer kept crashing when it hit the desktop and this fixed it. I'm running Win7 32 with 2 Multiface II and one Multiface 1 in a Magma chassis.

Hello!!
I have installed my new Windows 7 right now... but my HDSP 9632 doesn't work!
I readed the topic on the website and i downloaded the drivers (hdsp_wdm_3083.zip) and the new firmware too (fut_wdm_dsp.zip)
But nothing is working... the flash program doesn't start!
Somebody can help me??

Right click on it and run as Administrator.