Topic: Newbie Fireface 400 question: how to connect analog mic preamp?

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and I bought a fireface 400 (firewire connection) some days ago. Concerning the fireface, I would be very happy if somebody could help me out with the following question:

- I'd like to connect my 2 channel analog microphone preamp to the fireface 400. How should I do that to get the best results without messing with the nice analog preamp signal too much and maybe to use the fireface only for AD/DA purposes? Would it work out by connecting the output of the analog preamp to the line inputs of the fireface? If so, are the separate line inputs on the backside of the fireface mono or stereo as it seems that the cable connection xlr female (from the mic preamp) to trs mono is quite rare as an affordable cable (...yeah, there are some vovox cables for 60 euro...).

- My small Genelec 8020 studio monitors are connected to the fireface 400 with two xlr male (genelec input) to trs stereo (fireface output) cables...but each cable should be xlr to trs mono, right?

Thank you very much in advance & sorry for these simple questions!

Best wishes
Fla

Re: Newbie Fireface 400 question: how to connect analog mic preamp?

Hi Fla,

It's best to use the rear inputs for your outboard gear, as this gives the most direct connection to the A/D converter. The front inputs are mainly for direct connection of mics or instruments.

All you need are a couple pairs of TRS>XLR (balanced mono) cables, these are not expensive and should be easy to find at any pro audio retailer.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi,
the cables should be XLR to TRS. TRS means Tip-Ring-Sleeve, so it looks like a Stereo-Headphone-Plug. However, instead of Left-Right-Ground signals, the balanced output of the FF sends Signal-Invertedsignal-Ground, and the Genelec speaker understands that. It has a balanced input. The word "mono" or "stereo" is imho not so useful in this context.
To make sure that the cable is correct, check that pin 1 of the XLR-plug connects to the sleeve of the TRS. Pin 2 should connect to the tip of the jack, and Pin 3 to the remaining bit between tip and sleeve (so-called ring).
Best regards,
Max

Hi,

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/conne … tereo.html

regards S-EH