Topic: HDSP PCMCIA Card Not Recognized in Ubuntu Studio 9.10

Hello,

I have an HDSP PCMCIA Card with a Multiface 1.

In Ubuntu Studio 9.10, it seems as if my card does not get recognized. Excerpts from dmesg:

[   11.986596] RME Hammerfall DSP 0000:03:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[   11.986615] RME Hammerfall DSP 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNKB] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11

but later:

[   23.325031] Hammerfall-DSP: no Digiface or Multiface connected!
[   23.325193] RME Hammerfall DSP 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A disabled
[   23.325224] RME Hammerfall DSP: probe of 0000:03:00.0 failed with error -5

hdsploader does not 'see' my card:

hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
Card 0 : Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with STAC9766,67 at irq 11

The card's firmware revision is 17 (which I reckon is the most recent one).

I have thoroughly searched the web, and read about hints that ALSA might not like the latest firmware of some RME hardware. Might this also apply to my card, too? If so, which would be the correct version to downgrade to?

Thanks for your consideration,

Christian

Re: HDSP PCMCIA Card Not Recognized in Ubuntu Studio 9.10

Hello, it looks like your system is missing the multiface firmware.  The loader starts, but finds only firmware for another card (Intel).  Try re-installing ALSA and make sure to include firmware.  The multiface requires firmware to be loaded to function properly.

system wrote:

Hello, it looks like your system is missing the multiface firmware.  The loader starts, but finds only firmware for another card (Intel).  Try re-installing ALSA and make sure to include firmware.  The multiface requires firmware to be loaded to function properly.

I have already done that.

I read several threads (on other forums) where it's explained that hdsploader would try to find the firmware in a different location to where it was installed (/lib/firmware/hdsploader vs. /lib/firmware), so I symlinked correctly.

But as described in these posts, hdsploader would list the RME card and simply fail at loading the firmware.

Example from another thread:

hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
Card 0 : HDA ATI SB at 0xf9ff4000 irq 18
Card 1 : BEHRINGER BCR2000 at usb-0000:00:13.1-1.3, full speed
Card 2 : RME Hammerfall DSP at 0xfe800000, irq 16
Upload firmware for card hw:2
Unable to open file '/lib/firmware/hdsploader/multiface_firmware_rev11.bin'' for reading

But on my system, hdsploader doesn't seem to 'see' my card (see hdsploader output in first post).

What could cause this to happen?

Cheers,

Christian

Maybe don't symlink and use cp or mv instead.

system wrote:

Maybe don't symlink and use cp or mv instead.

Sorry, this doesn't work either.

6 (edited by system 2010-01-25 19:02:59)

Hi there, well I am not using Ubuntu 9.1.  Any luck in the Ubuntu forums?  I have used Ubuntu Studio with RME multiface in the past and it worked well but required more setup than 64studio.  Depending on how the kernel is configured, the modules may not be loaded either.  At least with 64studio, members of the team use RME equipment and the OS is very much intended for music.

Guess someone is a fan of Orson Scott Card... wink  Seventh Son rocked!!

In the meantime, I had some success.

I rebuilt the alsa firmware package with the 'rebuild firmware from binary' option set in configure before.

Now my system can at least see the card.

The firmware download still fails though ('wait for FIFO status <= 127 failed after 5000 iterations'), but this is for another topic.

Cheers,

Christian

Latest update: Problems were all due to my stupidity. The power supply for the Multiface was set to the wrong voltage (9 instead of 12 Volts). fryingpan Card and Multiface are recognized without any problem.

Cheers,

Christian