Topic: Which PCIe card works best with the FF800?

Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to which FW PCIe card i should get for my mac pro dual core 2.66. I'm trying to resolve CPU overload issues in Cubase 5.1 caused by the slow internal FW bus. I'm reliably informed that having a separate internal FW bus will dramatically reduce the CPU issue. Currently i'm looking at Belkin, Siig and Allegro which all have the famed T1 Texas Instrument Chipsets.

Here's the nub. If i opt for a FW 800 PCie spec card as opposed to a FW 400 spec, and connect that to the FF800 using a FW800 cable, will the overall performance be better then a FW 400 connection with a FW 400 cable? What i'm trying to get at, very badly ;-) does the FF800 only work at 800mbps when two FF800's are connected but when only one is used as an interface, it operates at only 400mbps. Phew i hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

SkM

Re: Which PCIe card works best with the FF800?

Hi,

One Fireface 800 unit only needs FW400 for full-bandwidth operation, and FW800 won't make it work any better. If you add another Fireface 800, or try to chain some other device, then you should use FW800.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: Which PCIe card works best with the FF800?

Thanks Jeff, that makes sense!

Cheers

SkM