Topic: Please advice on RME PCIe

Hi there, I have home studio with Win7 64-bit and right now I use M-Audio Firewire Solo Audio Interface and Cubase Studio 5. I'd like to pimp my studio with better Audio Interface and DSP.
I have heard that RME is the best and would like to buy PCIe product. Which product would you suggest if I need 1 SPDIF In (RCA), 1 Mic Preamp, Hi-Z El. Guitar In and at least 4 Analog Ins and 2 Outs and Phones Out? Would be better to buy Fireface 400? I don't really understand thouse MADI, AES/EBU and so on.... please help.

Thanks a lot
Dalibor

Re: Please advice on RME PCIe

The 1 Mic Preamp and Hi-Z El. Guitar In are your "problem". Not there on the HDSPe cards. You better have a look at the Fireface products if you don't own external pre-amp and di-box ...

dkalna wrote:

Hi there, I have home studio with Win7 64-bit and right now I use M-Audio Firewire Solo Audio Interface and Cubase Studio 5. I'd like to pimp my studio with better Audio Interface and DSP.
I have heard that RME is the best and would like to buy PCIe product... please help.

Thanks a lot
Dalibor

Hi Dkalna,
I would strongly recommand RME boards. They are rock solid. Whatever, as your OS is W7x64, have a look to my post. I encountered dramatic issues with W7x64 and HDSP PCIe drivers (RayDAT and MADI). I don't know if these issues have something to see with motherboards (Gygabyte EX58-UD4 & UD5) or if it's a problem with driver itself. I don't have any feedback from RME for now. Main thing I can say is that it definitely doesn't work for me and I had to go back to Vista x64. And this occured with two different computers and different boards but same driver.

Hi and thanks for your responses. I better look for Fireface 400. One more question, ..... ehm, stupid question.... what is di-box and why would I need that for my el. guitar?

5 (edited by Metheny 2010-02-11 14:18:42)

Hi dkalna,

A DI box is an electronic device that connects a high impedance, line level, unbalanced output signal to a low impedance mic level balanced input, usually via XLR connector. DIs are frequently used to connect an electric guitar or electric bass to a mixing console's microphone input. The DI performs level matching, balancing, and either active buffering or passive impedance bridging to minimise noise, distortion, and ground loops.

So, if you need to connect your guitar directly without an amplifier, you?ll need a special High impedance input in your mixer, or a DI-box to adapt to normal inputs.

Regards,
Martin

dkalna wrote:

Hi and thanks for your responses. I better look for Fireface 400. One more question, ..... ehm, stupid question.... what is di-box and why would I need that for my el. guitar?

Hi Martin, thanks for explanation. Now, RME Fireface has such a Hi-Z Input, hasn't it?

People owning RME cards will help you better, but reading the fireface specs, you see:

"Inputs 3 and 4 are stunningly flexible balanced universal inputs. Firstly, they operate exactly as inputs 5 to 8 on the rear and can be adjusted to accept standard studio input levels (+4 dBu, LoGain). Furthermore, the input impedance can be switched from Line (10 kOhm) to Instrument (470 kOhm). An additional analog input amplification of up to 18 dB (in steps of 0.5 dB) is also available. In short: There's no signal that these inputs can't deal with perfectly!"