Topic: 192Khz problems with ADI-8QS

Hello

I got 2 ADI-8QS converters and 2 HDSP-AES-32 soundcards. I just recently bought 4 separate word-clock cables to connect all the equipment together with a hope that 192Khz would work. 96Khz is ok, but 192Khz is not, i get full sync on 1 of the ADI-8, but the other one dont want to sync the 2-6 last channels. 96khz worked just fine when i used the AES cables as clock, so didnt get any "upgrade" on the separate clock cables...  Any idea why i dont get full sync in 192khz ? Is it because I use 6m aes cable, and 4m word-clock cables?

ANfe

Re: 192Khz problems with ADI-8QS

Did you check that you have set the cards to use "Quad Speed - Single Wire" mode on both cards? State set to "QS" on both ADI units? Do the ADI-8 QS units show all 4 AES LEDs lit solid on the Digital Input display?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yes both cards is set to Quad Speed-Single Wire". When i use "main" soundcard as master i get the QS LEDs lit, but only sync on all 4Leds on 1 of the converters, the other one changes from 1-3LEDs lit. The same thing happens when i use one of the converters as master.

ANfe

You only need one HDSP AES-32 to use both ADI-8 QS units at any sample rate... what is the idea with the second card?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I will give it a try to explain.. I use the setup in a home theater, and one of the cards, (main card) is used in computer 1 for a 16 channel active crossover setup. For this I use Bidule and Audiolense. Main card handles all the outputs for the two ADI-8QS. The other soundcard is mounted in another computer (computer2) to have the ability to hide computer1 with all programs so others cant touch the software. Computer2 I use for pc-based playback such as music and movies. The outputs on the computer2 soundcard are going to the digital inputs on the soundcard in computer1. For this I use Digilink breakout-cables and BOB-32. It's the converter that is mounted to BOB-32 that dont get full sync. The cable setup is: 6m AES-AES connected from computer1 AES output2 to BOB-32, 1.5m XLR-AES from BOB-32 outputs to the converter, and 4m XLR-AES from BOB-32 inputs to outputs on the computer2 soundcard.

Anfe

When all this works at 96 kHz but not at 192 then it seems the cables can not handle 192 kHz efficiently enough. You can rule out differences between the converters by simply exchanging them within the setup. Are both units equipped with firmware 1.2?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes i think so too. Just swapped some cables back there, and now I get full sync on the other converter, but its not real stable. I get some resync issues when i use all channels.  I use the same cables, custom made AES/AES, but one of them is longer than the other. Think i need to move the computers closer so i can use shorter and better cables.

Where can i check what kind of firmware i got on the converters?

Thanks for the support!

ANfe