Topic: HDSP AES-32 Playback Level Problem

Hi.

I have the HDSP AES-32 PCI card, and its drivers version 2.57 for mac os x from the 06/2008 driver cd.
On mac os x 10.5.8, the card is installed correctlly, the drivers and applications work fine.
But I have a problem in the playback level, when I use Itunes or Logic Studio, or another player, the audio playback level is out of range. With or without aes cable, the playback level is over and i cannot change or reduce it. In the audio midi settings, in the hdsp aes32 properties, only sample frequency can be changed, the choice of resolution is only "aes-32 bits".
The sound is always saturated and I've tried others drivers and firmware from your website, but there's no way out.

Could you help me please ?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Michael Dello Buono

Re: HDSP AES-32 Playback Level Problem

What kind of audio material are you playing back here? Commercial CDs?
If so, this is quite normal these days (Loudness Wars).

If not, please be more specific.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel.

Most of my records are professionnal wave files, no compression, using a headroom between 6 and 9 dB, they never reach the full scale limit.

Is there a specific config file containing audio parameters ?

Thank you for your help.
Best Regards

Michael.

Hello,

the MADI/AES PPC driver stopped with version 2.53. Which firmware is now in the card? Did you try to lower the volume in TotalMix?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Michael Dello Buono wrote:

Hi.

I have the HDSP AES-32 PCI card, and its drivers version 2.57 for mac os x from the 06/2008 driver cd.
On mac os x 10.5.8, the card is installed correctlly, the drivers and applications work fine.
But I have a problem in the playback level, when I use Itunes or Logic Studio, or another player, the audio playback level is out of range. With or without aes cable, the playback level is over and i cannot change or reduce it. In the audio midi settings, in the hdsp aes32 properties, only sample frequency can be changed, the choice of resolution is only "aes-32 bits".
The sound is always saturated and I've tried others drivers and firmware from your website, but there's no way out.

Could you help me please ?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Michael Dello Buono

I've seen this several times.
It might be your output row in totalmix that is set 6dB to loud.
Hold down CTRL and click on preset 1 in totalmix. This will reload "factory default" and the settings should be ok.

P

6 (edited by Michael Dello Buono 2010-03-07 20:59:40)

Hello.

The firmware of my pci card is 233, installed on an intel 2 duo motherboard, sorry it's not a ppc, but I need to use it for many reasons. However, we have a Mac Pro 2008 (osx 10.5.8), but there is no pci slot onboard, only pci express, and we would like to use Logic Studio with our old AES-32 PCI if it's possible. Another solution is to buy a pci to pci express adapter, but I don't know it's better.

Here's a screen capture of the mixer when I play a wave file with Soundtrack pro.
The playback meter from the hdsp mixer is always fully on top, knowing the original level of this file is normalized under -20db fs.
I've tried to load factory default by a ctrl-click on the preset 1, but it's inactive.
Is there a parameter I can change in a special folder attached to the madi/aes32 driver ?

Download TotalMix Capture Image

Thank you.

Michael.

That is a simple byte swap because you use the wrong (PPC) driver on an Intel system (or something similar). As you are using a Hackintosh our support ends here. There is no official Mac Intel driver for the HDSP-AES32.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME