1 (edited by godprobe 2010-03-10 03:16:21)

Topic: Fireface 800 - dead? (lights blinking after restart for ringing noise)

Updated to the latest drivers and firmware about a month ago, and it was working fine.
Today, I turned on my speakers and heard an odd ringing slightly-static sound (thankfully not extremely loud) -- sounded a lot like when you turn the volume *way* up on cheap headphones or a TV.
Checked additional speakers to make sure it wasn't just the one set -- same sound.
Noted that my microphone still sent a signal out to the speakers, and the LED showed input from the mic, though the gain knob was all the way down.
Restarted TotalMix and the Fireface Settings tray app.  Things seemed fine, other than the noise.

So, I shut down the Fireface... flipped it back on... and all the lights are blinking and a loud clicking noise is constantly playing in time with the lights blinking.

I've owned this for longer than the warranty period now, I think, and it was bought used in the first place.

Can anyone help, if they know a cause and my options?
Thank you!
-jeff

Re: Fireface 800 - dead? (lights blinking after restart for ringing noise)

You'll need to send the unit in for service. Could be as simple as a power supply replacement. Email me the serial number, return address and phone number and I can help. (US service only, please)

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you!  Sending the info off now!
I hope it's that simple, but I won't get my hopes up. :roll

I have the same problem.
Last night the audio would intermittently stop working.
Turned it off overnight.
When i turn it on now, I get the blinking lights and an odd flickering sound coming from the unit.
I'm in Toronto Canada.
How would I get this serviced?

http://www.musicmarketing.ca/aboutus.cfm

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

6 (edited by godprobe 2010-04-20 23:50:25)

Synthax was great, shipped quickly and got my power supply replaced for a reasonable cost.

However, the problem's back.
The Fireface itself isn't dead yet (even through turning it off/on/off once), but it's showing the same static-y symptoms that it did before.  Got it on video this time and am uploading it to a personal storage space.  Can I PM or e-mail someone from RME and/or Synthax the link?  It's uncompressed, so about 750 megs between two videos.

Help!
And
thank you,
-jeff

[edit]
possibly scratch that... still have the issue, but need to do some more investigating -- haven't ruled out the fireface, but definitely need to check some more things
[/edit]

[edit 2]
indeed, it was most likely a loose connection between gear that happened to occur along the signal line of a particular Fireface channel -- in other words: user error here! (the initial issue in this thread was not, but this time, thankfully, no additional support needed) -- Synthax, again, was great, and it's good to know they're there!
[/edit 2]

I have had the same thing happen to my fireface shortly after updating to the latest firmware.

I live in Canada as well, but after looking at the link posted (http://www.musicmarketing.ca/aboutus.cfm), there are a lot of names there - who exactly should I contact on that list??

Thanks

Greg

It just happend to me too. Blinking lights, little clics near the power supply. Clearly I'm one of the numerous lucky owners that lives we a Fireface 800 with a broken power supply. Does anyone knows how to fix that problem without sending the faulty unit and wait months to have it repaired? I need to fix it quickly!!!
I live next to Montreal.

Thank's in advance.

Regards

Nicolas

Hi,

I own a fireface 800 that has just started behaving the same! (flashing lights).
I was running it on a mac 10.4.11 system ppc and it was working fine, once i connected it to a mac 8 core system with os snow leopard and updated the firmware (as recommended by manufacturer) from 2.70 to 2.77 the unit lights started flashing!
This is an out of warranty unit. although from what i've been reading this is an obvious manufacturer defect but since I do have some electronics  background i was hoping i could replace the part myself rater than sending it for repair, does anyone know what parts need to be replaced?

thanks

Does it also happen (lights flashing) if you power on the unit with no FW connected to the computer?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Well, it only does this when its connected to the computer. In a stand alone situation the lights do not flash! So i don't believe its a power supply problem!

No, you have something disturbing FW on the computer, please try with all other devices disconnected. Apple Cinema Display FW connection for the webcam is known to screw up FW.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.