Topic: M-S Processing in TotalMix... any clue?

Hey all!

Sorry to start my "forum history" with a "problem article", but you guys are my last hope!:-]

I`m a RME long time user... I bought my first RME interface more than 10 years ago and I`m still happy with RME.. wonderful tools for professional tasks.

Recently I needed to do some comissioned work using M-S microphone technique. "Well", I tought - "since M-S encoding seems to be implemented in TotalMix already, I wouldn`t have any problems with such microphone setup".

Voila. I tried it again and again. I read the RME latest manual about M-S Processing. I asked Daniel Fuchs about it. Daniel is always a nice guy, but this time his answers didn`t solved my problem regarding M-S in TotalMix, unfortunately.

Now I`ll tell you how I try to set it up.

1) On Multiface, I use digital SPDIF inputs 9 and 10 for line signal coming from my external A/D converter.
2) Outputs form my mic preamps are connected to this external converter. I "see" the incoming signals in TotalMix.
3) I checked my mic setup double and triple and n-ple. Left channel (input 9) contains signal from Middle (cardioid) and Right channel (input 10) contains signal from Side (Figure 8).
4) Wonderful. Now in TotalMix I switch M-S Processing On for this input pair 9/10. I do it for routing to headphones and I do it for outoing to outputs 9/10 as well. Here is how it looks like:

[img align=C]http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8581/msencodingproblem.png[/img]

Using setup like that, what I hear in headphones is mono mix and what I see recorded in Nuendo is unprocessed M-S = Cardioid in left channel and Figure eight in right channel.

Ok, I ask Daniel about it. Daniel says, that Loopback mode should be activated to be able to record encoded M-S stereo signal.
In the User Manual fo TotalMix there is nothing about Loopback Mode regarding M-S. But ok. I switch on the loopback mode for outputs 9/10 and try to record like that.
Now the recorded signal is mono (identical signals in L and R... everything is summed). I`m confused.

And now I just don`t know what else should I do.

Maybe some of you have experience with M-S setup and Totalmix?

I wish there was detailed explanation about this topic in User Manual. But this is not the case - unfortunately.

I would be happy about any clue. The idea about buying a hardware M-S encoder seems not too tempting for me if I still believe that somehow this M-S Processing in TotalMix is intended to work.

best regards

Girts

Re: M-S Processing in TotalMix... any clue?

Please make sure to use the correct term - whether you need/want encoding or decoding.

Recording the decoded signal (via loopback) is quite unusual, as the main advantage of MS recording is lost (post processing of stereo width and ambience).

If the decoded signal is strictly mono then either the microphones have the wrong directivity, are placed wrongly, or have wrongly soldered cables (phase inversion). Your screenshot shows that TM works exactly as intended, and you can easily check that by using other signals, like stereo CD.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Girts 2010-03-12 19:10:30)

Hallo Mathias,

What I`m expecting is: I "put in" Middle mic and Side mic and I "get out" nice LR stereo sound from TotalMix... or at least to be able to monitor it!
Is it encoding or decoding? - I don`t know, but that`s what I would like to happen.
By the way, it`s named only "processing" in TotalMix.

I know how to do it in "old-skool" way in Analog mixer, but how to do it in TotalMix? Or I`m expecting something different from the process TotalMix is delivering?

My mics are placed just right:

[img align=C]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5972/girtsms.jpg[/img]

Cables are tested.

best regards

Girts

Hey again!

Matthias suggested to check that "TM works exactly as intended", by using other signals than a M/S microphone pair, "like stereo CD".
Well, today I did some test / experiment following this idea. Let`s see what happened. :-]

Let`s face the User Manual, which says:

"The M/S-Processing automatically operates as M/S encoder or decoder, depending on the
source signal format. When processing a usual stereo signal, all monaural information will be
shifted into the left channel, all stereo information into the right channel. Thus the stereo signal
is M/S encoded."

It means:
If you put in a M/S microphone pair, M/S-Processing gives you L/R Stereo.
If you put in L/R Stereo, M/S-Processing gives you M/S pair.

First, I take a cut from a CD (copyrights by EBTG wink. My aim was to pass it through M/S-Processing in TotalMix and record it via Loopback. The routing look like that:

[img align=C]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/1811/cdtrackrerecordedmson.png[/img]

I was awaiting to get a neat M/S pair, where all the middle information is on left and side stuff is on the right side.
What I got insted is a sound where everything is just summed to mono (I got it in my headphones as well).

Here is link to the initial CD cut:

Original CD sound

and here is re-recorded CD cut with M/S-Processing on:

M/S processed CD sound

Next attempt was to try the opposite: to put in a M/S microphone set and to get out the desired L/R Stereo sound - both in file and in my headphones. To complete that, I was going to record the M/S-Processed file (via Loopback) and unprocessed ("rave") microphone pair as well. I recorded those 2 files synchrone, as you can see in this setup:

[img align=C]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/6017/micpairrecordedwithmson.png[/img]

Well, the results was not as those promised by Manual, but just as I expected from previous experience with CD:

with M/S-Processing On, the resulting file was monophonic, everything summed:

M/S mics with M/S Processing On

without M/S-Processing the sound file was just as the microphone setup: middle mic on the Left channel, side mic on the Right:

M/S mics with M/S Processing Off

Thats all! But - how come?
I would be happy about any idea how to make it work.
Maybe it is just my fault. Matthias - where is the fault?
Maybe it is a fault in driver. Matthias - is it in the driver? I`m using the last one.

hope remains! ;]

thanks

Girts

I wonder if all the other functions in TM work correctly. You can use panorama as intended? Can you send a screenshot of the Settings dialog? You did not update driver and firmware and have the Multiface never rebooted because you are using an externel power supply?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hallo Matthias,

1) yes it seems that I can use panorama as intended.
2) Here comes the screenshot of driver Settings:

[img align=L]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6978/multifacedriversettings.png[/img]

3) I update driver time after time and I rebooted my Multiface 1 - recently it is connected to PC via USB, so there is no external power supply.

What should I do?
Hope to hear from you soon.

best regards

Girts

Hi,

just wonder in the Matrix view there is
AN 3 & AN 4 and PH L & PH R is this correct ?
to me it seems to be one to many ?
listen back with Head Phones or Speaker ?

should't it be possible to simulate M/S microphone technic
with different tones to just check Mide and Side in TotalMix ?

just trying to understand, thanks

regards S-EH

8 (edited by Girts 2010-03-16 06:31:50)

Hey S-EH

Yes, in this concrete case that`s correct: M/S Processing on to:

Ph L & Ph R to (monitor M/S via headphones)
and
An 43 & An4 (to be able to record the desired M/S-processed sound).

And - yes I tried to explore M/S-Processing by sending in stereo sound instead of M/S pair. I described it a bit earlier here.
For me, it seems that the Phase Inversion (represented by that blue rectangle in Matrix) just don`t work and that`s the reason why it all goes just Mono when M/S Processing is "On".

regards

Girts

Ok cool, I try one more after reading a article from UA about M/S

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2005/dece … tent4.html

is Mid channel panned in Center and Side channel panned to the Left or (Right) ?

and then playing around with faders by taste I suppose in TotalMix
to get the other M - S on the right channel !

I'm sure MC or someone who has experience with M/S technic will chime in :-)

regards S-EH

As you can see in the above screenshots the side channel is panned center, but phase inverted on the right. In other words 0? to left and 180? to right.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

S-EH,

that`s a good explaining link you gave!
One of few advantages of M/S mic technique are:
1) total mono compatibility;
2) total control over stereo width - both during recording and during post production or mix.

Matthias,

still awaiting your advice or verdict.
Should I do driver or firmware rollback - and how?
Has M/S Processing been tested for functionality with this driver / firmware / Multiface 1 combination?

regards

Girts

I am very sorry (and embarassed as well). We just have too many products, so even I get confused sometimes.

The Multiface does not support phase inversion. In fact it does not say that it does anywhere. If you press shift and click on any level in the Matrix the field will not turn blue.

The display of this function in the menu is a simple error, as TM supports numerous cards. It must be removed for the Multiface (which will be done in the next update).

Sorry again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by Girts 2010-03-17 15:35:35)

Hallo Matthias,

First, I really appreciate your assistance and honesty.

May I just add few comments about this issue -

1) It seems, that there is no one in RME, who could proof if every function really works with every product as promised. So there is something to improve.
Plus, it has to be clearly marked in product description, that one cannot do M/S stuff using Multiface at all (which is really too bad, because Multiface is marketed as "The" mobile recording gear - so it looks good for people who do things for Film and TV, for example... where M/S is one of basic microphone techniques).

2) It seems also that I`m the first Multiface user who ever pointed to the fact, that M/S Processing just don`t works! It might indicate the following: whether there are very few people among Multiface users who need M/S in their recording environment, or - there are significant amount of TM-users who are confused about all possibilities and functions in TotalMix and never dare to ask about them.

Huh... and finally - I have to rethink how to deal with my M/S mic setup now, since I haven`t analogue mixer. I was hoping TotalMix will do the thing.

best regards

Girts

Girts wrote:

1) It seems, that there is no one in RME, who could proof if every function really works with every product as promised. So there is something to improve.

MS processing works fine with those products that support it (sorry I also didn't think of the fact that the MF doesn't...). So I'm not quite sure what the point is here...

2) It seems also that I`m the first Multiface user who ever pointed to the fact, that M/S Processing just don`t works!

Since we do not claim that it works (e.g. in the manual), there is no bug here...

It might indicate the following: whether there are very few people among Multiface users who need M/S in their recording environment

Quite possible.

Huh... and finally - I have to rethink how to deal with my M/S mic setup now, since I haven`t analogue mixer. I was hoping TotalMix will do the thing.

You could do so with your audio software. If it's possible in playback,it might also work with software monitoring. I know Samplitude could do it.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

15 (edited by Girts 2010-03-17 15:47:46)

Since we do not claim that it works (e.g. in the manual), there is no bug here...

Daniel,

There is Multiface Manual and in this manual there is one section dedicated to TotalMix and describing how to deal with M/S as well. And if "you do not claim that it works", it would be just fair if you could emphasize this fact to eventual users to avoid misunderstanding or misinterpretation. Plus - you have to know it! ;]

regards

Girts

Girts wrote:

There is Multiface Manual and in this manual there is one section dedicated to TotalMix and describing how to deal with M/S as well.

I don't know which manual you've been reading, but the neither the current manual for the MF II nor the old one for the MF I mention M/S.
Please tell me the file and page you are referring to.

And if "you do not claim that it works", it would be just fair if you could emphasize this fact to eventual users to avoid misunderstanding or misinterpretation.

Then we'd also have to mention that the unit does not support DSD format, will not encode oder decode AC3, and can not be used as a video recorder or microwave oven... fryingpan cool cool

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Then we'd also have to mention that the unit does not support DSD format, will not encode oder decode AC3, and can not be used as a video recorder or microwave oven...

Ah. No wonder my soup is always cold.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Daniel,

well, you was right. :-) The current manual for MF doesn`t mention M/S at all.
Due my belief, that TotalMix is working with all RME`s cards on the same level and with identical functions, I found the desired information about M/S in other manual.

But that was just because M/S Processing was available and seemed to work.. which was just a "fake" / "phantom" in driver - as MC discovered earlier on this page.

So let`s stay by 1:1. :]

Undertone - I sometimes wonder why my soup is could + in cube ;-)

cheers and peace

Girts