Topic: Fireface UC in the near future, bye MOTU

Hi everyone, I plan on purchasing an RME Fireface UC very soon. It was the last straw with my MOTU MK3. I have heard very good things about RME devices, and I've wanted one for a long time. So I have returned my MK3 for a full refund and will be saving up for the difference. I have no interface now and I am drooling over this thing.
In the mean time I was reading about custom GUI's that people are creating and I think it is verrry cool! I wanted to try and make my own custom GUI. Probably starting off with a template of the original Totalmix skin, or someone's that has been posted up. Is it as simple as opening the bmp pictures from one of the skins into Adobe Photoshop and editing the picture the way you want? For example using hue and saturation, color, contrast, and using you're own fonts? 
I started practicing designing one and I think I am doing it right. I just modified one of the RME designed ones someone posted up. All I did was switch meter level colors, and faders to start. If somebody could give me some details on how they design a custom skin I would really appreciate it. I look forward to getting my Fireface UC, and it is going to be a long month.   Thanks for you're attention!

They should put you in a glass jar.

Re: Fireface UC in the near future, bye MOTU

Thats interesting you are returning a MK3, since MOTU devices are usually quite reliable.  Some people never have any problem with them.  So what happened?  Did it cause some crashes?  I'm also interested in why you think the UC is a solution since you don't have one yet.

I've owned two MOTU devices and I've always had problems with them freezing up. Sometimes 3 to 4 times an hour. That to me is unusable. It's not like I'm running it on a cheap computer either. I have an ADK audio laptop that is very well equipped. MOTU firewire devices are known to have problems unless being used with a T.I. chipset which I have. You're right, some people never have a single problem with the units and that's great. But it is also very well documented that a vast majority of people have major problems with them. Ever since I can remember all I have heard about RME is how rock solid the performance they offer is, how stable the drivers are, and how pleased people are with them. That is what I want. I want to make music and not fiddle with the persnickety drivers all day long. I know that configuring an audio setup can be persnickety business anyway, so the more solid a device is the better. Most people say RME over MOTU any day. I guess I'll find out.

I wanted to try and make my own custom GUI. Probably starting off with a template of the original Totalmix skin, or someone's that has been posted up. Is it as simple as opening the bmp pictures from one of the skins into Adobe Photoshop and editing the picture the way you want?

Yes. On the PC it works like that. On the Mac it needs to replace the BMPs in the ressource file with an editor like ThemePark.

best regards
Knut

Hey, thanks I needed that!

I am very interested in device like RME Fireface UC, but with:
1. Using USB 3.0
2. Only Digital part without any Analog I/O.
3. WC and SPDIF (necessarily) sinchronize I/O.
4. Optical, coaxial and XLR inputs and outputs (for digital).
Is it near, distant or unreal future?
Thanks!